Subject: New user with ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Laski
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Hey all, new user here to BGG. I stumbled across this website looking for reviews on the "Settlers and Knights" expansions for SoC.

I've looked at the games list (sorted by rank) and tried to read the reviews and critics of each game I think my group of friends would like.

So far I'm stuck between Puerto Rico and the expansion for SoC i mentioned above. Now, the reason for my post is two-fold: not only to get some feedback on my choices, but to also get recommendations on other games I may have missed.

Let me first start off by giving a short description of my group of friends and our history:

We came from playing games such as risk, monopoly, taboo, etc. I introduced them to Settlers of Catan about two weeks ago, and we've all loved it. So far, we've played about 10-15 games and enjoyed every minute of it. Our group enjoys the interaction of trading, and we are a highly competitive group. We also enjoy the simpler rules that SoC has. The main key I'm looking for is competitiveness, player interaction, moderate to light rules (somewhat simple), reward for strategy and skill (little or no luck).

I realize the expansion for SoC still will have luck involved, but I've heard it adds a new depth of competitiveness. I've also heard that Puerto Rico is mainly skill based instead of luck based. I had a friend become a little discouraged that SoC is based off some luck because of the dice rolls. Also, it seems in 60-70% of our games 1 person takes a lead which is hard to overcome.

In conclusion, I'm looking for something that meshes best with our group. I don't mind checking out new games, or reviews on the current games I suggested. I'm open to all possibilities.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suggest with that group you consider Power Grid, actually. It gives you some of your interaction in the forms of auctions, has little luck (the order the plants come up in, only), has relatively simple rules, and there is definite strategy involved.

I'd also highly recommend that you do pick up Catan: Cities & Knights; it adds a great deal of depth to Catan, though it doesn't remove entirely the luck problem. It does, however, provide several additional paths to victory, so might help there.

Good luck, welcome to BGG, and happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a game group similar to mine.

I recommend that you start with Power Grid and Dominion.

Puerto Rico is good if you're all about the same level, but if there's an imbalance in skill the player to the left of the worst player will often win. Very annoying!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cool games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico, because it has no luck, has a very clear learning curve. A player that better understands the mechanics will likely win. This adds to the flavor and excitement as you discover new strategies to win.

SoC: Cities and Knights is basically a way to turn SoC into a very brutal and cutthroat game. I personally like it but if people aren't comfortable with competition or get frustrated when they are hit by negative effects over and over, I'd skip it. It's one of the many games I used to own that I could never pull out because people would cry. Literally at times.

ed: I'd also agree with the Power Grid recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your story is virtually identical to mine as well as many of the members here. WELCOME!

Your tastes also sound very similar to mine.

Here are some of my recommended games that are fun, interactive, lower luck than Settlers of Catan, and support at least four players:

Agricola
Maharaja: Palace Building in India
Amun-Re
Railroad Tycoon (or the new game that is coming out: Steam)
The Pillars of the Earth
Taj Mahal
Elasund: The First City of Catan (really good if you like Settlers)
Vegas Showdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
Cities and Knights is great if you want to add some complexity and additional competativeness to Settlers of Catan.

To reduce the luck element of Settlers, pick up the event cards or make your own. Basically it is a deck of cards with a number distribution equal to the dice probabilities. The purchased cards also add some random events, but they're not needed if all you want to do is reduce the luck.

I would also suggest one of the Ticket to Ride games, with Europe being my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Chicago Express; no luck, very easy to teach/learn but hard to master, lots of interaction, and plays right around an hour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is great as lite faire, and can be a lot of fun with all the dice rolling! It really balances luck and strategy quite nicely.

Power Grid I would recommend slightly more than Puerto Rico...

San Juan is the card game version of PR though not as fun, but would let you guys experiment for less investment financially...

Torres is great fun with 4 players, and has some severely competitive moments

Carcassonne is kind of the step-sibling of Settlers. The two together are the "gateway" pair. It's got many expansions, and plays really well with groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer Settlers with the Seafarer's expansion. Cities and Knights is fun, and brutal sometimes, but I think it suffers from a runaway leader problem.

You might also try the welfare variant with Settlers. Basically any person who gets nothing on a production roll gains a chip. They can then cash in a number of chips equal to their victory points for a resource of their choice. Game loses nothing, plays faster, and more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Chicago Express
Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico would be ideal if you're all encountering it for the first time. The game is a little crowded with five, though.

You might also consider Tikal, which is a great "next step" game with plenty of interaction and skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
You might want to check out Chicago Express; no luck, very easy to teach/learn but hard to master, lots of interaction, and plays right around an hour...

You are starting to sound like a broken record!

Second the motion on Chicago Express but only if you like games with huge replay value...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age would be well worth a look. No more complex than Settlers (whereas Puerto Rico is), but a very different game. Still has dice, but the luck element is mitigated more than in Settlers. Straighforward ruleset, and a really nice looking game on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul / PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend:

In the Year of the Dragon

Imperial

Modern Art

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.