Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for 1/4 circle pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for 1/4 circle pieces of something (wood, foam, plastic, whatever) -- anyone know where I can get something like that? It needs to be able to lie flat, and have some height to it (so it can be picked up and moved around easily). I'll also need full circles in the same scale, though it does not need to be of the same material.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about buying the wooden disks and cutting them in four. This way, you have the 1/4 sections and full disks of the same size and material. They're also available in acrylic if you prefer but wood's easier to cut.

Edit: Other options:

1a) go to the craft store and buy some foam board. Take a compass and draw out the circles. Use knife to cut into four.
1b) using same foam board, also buy round cutter to cut circles out.
2) go to art store and buy illustrator board. Same procedure as above.

Edit #2:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1009792... as found on http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2986013#2986013 (courtesy of isaacc)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
you could always purchase a 1/4" dowel and cut it into pieces to fit the desired thickness.

I recently purchased 1/2" round pieces from the local HobbyLobby to use as 18xx markers. That might be a good place to look.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
you could always purchase a 1/4" dowel and cut it into pieces to fit the desired thickness.

I recently purchased 1/2" round pieces from the local HobbyLobby to use as 18xx markers. That might be a good place to look.


Quarter round...now why didn't I think of that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
How about buying the wooden disks and cutting them in four. This way, you have the 1/4 sections and full disks of the same size and material.


Ugh, I did a horrible job describing what it was I was looking for; I may as well not have posted gulp -- sorry to have wasted your time.

Here are the three pieces I'm looking for (I figured the straight pieces wouldn't be hard at all to make, so I didn't bother posting it):



So, with a proper description, does anyone know where I can get that quarter circle (even a hollowed out circle would be OK; I can cut it into 4 pieces myself). Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it out of self hardening clay. Roll it out to desire thickness, then use a couple of round cookie cutters. I'm sure you could find a cookie cutter that makes a hollowed out circle.

Just a thought.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam board again, but use compass and make two concentric circles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
Foam board again, but use compass and make two concentric circles.


Don't forget to cut the outer one first though...

Susie_Cat

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about PVC pipe? Cut into disc sizes first, then it sould be fairly easy to cut into 1/4 circles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackthorne1978 wrote:
How about PVC pipe? Cut into disc sizes first, then it sould be fairly easy to cut into 1/4 circles.


This would be the way I'd go; go forth to your local hardware or home improvement store, and pick a size of pipe. PVC would probably have the thickest walls (and be a more substantial game piece that way), copper, aluminum, and steel pipe definitely are also all available.

Sometimes you can find extruded acrylic rod/tubes online as well- perhaps McMaster Carr Tubing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
blackthorne1978 wrote:
How about PVC pipe?

This might work especially well if you also buy a pipe-cutter (like the one on this link) instead of using a hack-saw. A pipe-cutter will leave very few rough edges, so you won't be futzing around with sand-paper, etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
lajaro wrote:
How about buying the wooden disks and cutting them in four. This way, you have the 1/4 sections and full disks of the same size and material.


Ugh, I did a horrible job describing what it was I was looking for; I may as well not have posted gulp -- sorry to have wasted your time.

Here are the three pieces I'm looking for (I figured the straight pieces wouldn't be hard at all to make, so I didn't bother posting it):



So, with a proper description, does anyone know where I can get that quarter circle (even a hollowed out circle would be OK; I can cut it into 4 pieces myself). Thanks!


Joe,

LEGO makes the parts you are looking for in a coupleof different sizes.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6222
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3063
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2577
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=48092

Mike

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mike!

MK-Ultra71 wrote:
LEGO makes the parts you are looking for in a coupleof different sizes.


That is so awesome -- perfect! I'm heading to the Lego store at lunchtime....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use some matte board (or foamcore) and a leather-plastic-metal punch to cut out your circles then cut them in quarters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Hey Mike!

MK-Ultra71 wrote:
LEGO makes the parts you are looking for in a coupleof different sizes.


That is so awesome -- perfect! I'm heading to the Lego store at lunchtime....


A part of me hates you for being able to just run over to a LEGO store. soblue cry

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.