Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Leslie
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in your shoes several months ago and picked up Conflict of Heroes and Paths of Glory (highly recommend both). After playing those I traded away Memoir and Commands & Colors...they just didn't have the depth I was looking for.

I also have Hannibal and War of the Ring, but enjoy the 2 above more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend in order of awesomeness.

1) Hammer of the Scots.
2) Conflict of Heroes
3) Command and Colors: Ancients
4) Combat Commander: Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are literally 1 bazillion choices, and most of those you list are good ones. I would not include Successors among them; it is mainly designed as a multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Valor & Victory, it's free and a professional quality PnP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I'm a bit puzzled by your question, as surely the answer is most of them!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre provides quite a bit of depth, while being fast and easy to play.

Tide of Iron is really cool, and since you have already played Memoir '44 you will be familiar with laying terrain tiles to create various WWII battlefields.

However, perhaps you want some great WWII action without the plastic fiddlybits. I would then take a look at Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 (which is on your list already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
That's kind of where I was leaning, can you elaborate a bit more on why you guys have an order of awesomeness? What do you prefer about those over Hannibal and WOTR or the titles lower on your awesomeness list?

For a few reasons.

1) Ease to learn x depth , The games I mentioned are fairly easy to learn but are deep enough to keep you coming back for more

2) Time to play, There all take under 3 hours to play.

3) Fun Factor, There all fun as all get out with different strategies and choices.

4) Replayability. Yep all of them have it in spades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a M44 player too. I do like it.

But, the game you are looking for has name and surname : Conflict of Heroes : Awakening the Bear !

Everything M44 will never be. And plays fast, great strategics. The CAP system is just brilliant!!! . Every other game has a huge drawback : ASL is long and tons of rules, Tide of Iron is pain to assembly and unbalanced scenarios, Combat Commander Europe has no tanks (!!!) and its too card driven .

Conflict of Heroes is in the wargame first position in BGG for a good reason. Go for it. You cant be wrong...

Only thing you´ll miss is the minis...

Anyway I ll continue to play M44. The Campaign Book is simply amazing and will give a good motivation for all fans...

Check Eisenbach Gap too : maybe you like it too...

My thoughts...
A hug...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
I would not include Successors among them; it is mainly designed as a multiplayer game.

Yeah, certainly not Successors if you're going to be playing only two players. But past that, you'd really need to provide a lot more information. You want something heavier than M44. OK, that includes... well, just about every other wargame out there. What eras do you like? How much time do you have? What scale game do you want? Do you have any mechanics you're looking for? There are so many choices out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 and I really enjoy Commands & Colors: Ancients, but I recently acquired and played Napoleon's Triumph and it's the most unique wargame I've ever experienced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James,
C&C:Ancients is an evolved design version of Memoir '44. It is in effect the same system, but with a little more complexity.

Napoleon's Triumph is a very interesting game and probably the most beautiful board game I own - I adore it. However, although the rules are "only" 11 pages long, the game is so completely different that it will probably take you several plays before "getting it". The mechanics, while not truly complicated, are so different from anything else I've ever played that it just simply takes time to understand. I've unfortunately only been able to play it once with a live opponent (and it was a first time at the game for both of us) but I've played versus myself a couple of times solitaire just to learn the rules. Certainly not something that is truly playable solo. I'm definitely not saying anything against NT - its a gorgeous game, and I hear it is an extraordinarily good game (I just can't comment on that really as I just haven't gotten in NEAR as many plays as I'd like!).

But, with all of this being said, what else are you looking for in a 2-player wargame? I understand from your previous posts in this thread that you want a short play time (less than 3 hours) and with a bit more depth than Memoir '44 but more direct conflict than Twilight Struggle.

Are you wanting something with lots of plastic - like Tide of Iron? That does have a bit more "depth" than Memoir '44 but is really still pretty "light" when it comes to it.

Are you wanting a game that is more at level of company or below? Or are you looking for something that puts you in the role of a commander?

Do you want to be able to "produce" units and the "game" is really a series of battles or do you want the game to be just a single battle? (I'd say Memoir '44 is an example of a game that is about a single battle, or really about just a portion of a single battle).

You looking for something more historical or a game that is really trying more to "capture the feel" of a particular time frame, war, or battle?

I've been getting into block games recently (I haven't quite made the jump to hex-and-counter wargames yet) and have Prussia's Defiant Stand which I enjoyed playing, but I wanted more so I just put in an order to get Rommel in the Desert and War of 1812. I thought about getting Hammer of the Scots and I probably will one of these days, but I was looking for something different right now in my next two block games.

I picked Rommel in the Desert due to my understanding that its design has really "withstood the test of time" as a low to medium complexity game that tries to capture the "feel" of the North African campaigns in WWII and that much of the game is about managing your own supply. Room for bluffing exists too.

War of 1812 I selected due to my desire for a fast playing (including quick setup) somewhat light game that I could play in an hour or so with my son.

Anyway, I apologize for the long post but if you could offer a little more detail about what you're looking for in a game then I think you might be able to get a little more clarification from us on what we may suggest. I am by no means an expert on wargames, but I do spend an awful lot more time reading rules, reviews, etc. on games a lot more often than I actually play them. Hmm. Now that I am reading over what I just wrote, that's actually kind of sad... heh heh.

Don't forget to read reviews on here (and other sources on the internet) and most games you can download the rules in .pdf format and then read them. Keep in mind that reading rules is definitely a far cry from understanding the game of course, but I've found that it at least helps to keep me from completely buying blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb

Some personal favs I'd recommend, but in no particular order:

Hammer of the Scots

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42

Commands & Colors: Ancients

Prussia's Defiant Stand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 is tentatively scheduled for release in June. I believe that's still the date listed on BGN.

If you'd prefer a new block wargame, you might also consider Sturm Europa! (I'm not sure when this comes out though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 is an inexpensive 2-player wargame. I guess it's more of a card game with a war theme, so it's not really a wargame. Still, at $7, it's a good impulse buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MIB 8686 wrote:
The Battle for Hill 218 is an inexpensive 2-player wargame.

I like this game a lot, but I wouldn't even think of calling it a wargame. It's basically an abstract card game with a pasted-on war theme. There's no attempt at all at historicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
MIB 8686 wrote:
The Battle for Hill 218 is an inexpensive 2-player wargame.

I like this game a lot, but I wouldn't even think of calling it a wargame. It's basically an abstract card game with a pasted-on war theme. There's no attempt at all at historicity.

Good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.