18 Posts

The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How is the computer version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Bello
United States
flag msg tools
I see a computer version of this game published in the late 90s which is available on eBay. Is it any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can recall -- I have the game around here somewhere, but haven't played it in ages -- it's a pretty direct translation of the boardgame. Turn-based, units activated by leaders, same combat resolution. The graphics were servicable, but nothing like you'll find in the "Total War" series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Carr
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mb
try it and see

[url][/url]http://download.cnet.com/Great-Battles-of-Alexander-demo/300...

I seem to recall the devolpers of the boardgame were involved in its design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about the I-Magic game? I can't get it to run under Windows Vista. Might be important to you. Other than that I don't think you can trump.

Ya know just thinking back, I haven't played it in a very long time. And i think I haven't because it didn't run under XP either. The last OS I got it to run under was Windows ME. I was loading it from Windows 95 compatible CD's, but perhaps the download version will be OK??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No one in Iowa City plays wargames?
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the I-Magic games ran fine for me with XP. I have not tried yet with VISTA though...

Good Gaming~! Mick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For information on how to work the I-Magic game on newer operation systems, check out Ian's Great Battles Page.

http://www.ianm1.plus.com/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three I-Magic games, Alexander, and the two Caesars, each based upon the corresponding GBOH game. The boardgame designers were involved in some way with the production of the computer games. As others have said, they are pretty much a direct rendition of the boardgames. I had a blast with all 3 of them, and still have them in storage. Even with dated graphics, I would play them today. But unfortunately they will not work on the computer I have presently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TonysWar wrote:
For information on how to work the I-Magic game on newer operation systems, check out Ian's Great Battles Page.

Excellent site, thank you very much for the hint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
[q="Iskandir"][q="TonysWar"]For information on how to work the I-Magic game on newer operation systems, check out Ian's Great Battles Page.

I echo the thanks for that link, even though (ALAS!) it didn't offer me any hope...it was still a walk down memmory lane for me. My problem is that his site seems to have fallen silent at some point before the Vista
operating system became Microsoft's latest-and-greatest. I can't get the game to even install on Vista, and I've tried every compatibility tweak I've ever heard of.

How is the computer version? Well, good enough that 13 years later I've found myself looking back fondly on memories of playing "matches" over the internet, striving to raise my ranking on one of the competitive
"ladder" sites that existed back then. And I've pined for its accuracy.

Recently, I've been playing alot of the computer version of "Field of Glory", Slitherine's digital incarnation of their rules for Ancient-era table-top miniatures. Its a good game, over-all, and has become popular
enough to actually challenge the standing of DBA (the game of rock-paper-swords). I love the way the unit images in computer-FoG are actual photos of painted miniatures! But as much fun as I've had with Field of Glory, I've been that stereo-typical wargamer who is bothered by some "non-historical" detail in the rules.

I feel like they make chariots and elephants too effective. With
elephants especially, they just feel too..."dependable"...like they're just Super-Heavy Cavalry! They aren't enough of a risk to their own side! Its made me miss the more accurate handling of war elephants in Great Battles - the way they could run amok and stampede across the battlefield, crashing through friendly and enemy units alike! In fact, it finally made me decide to load the game just so I could show it to a grognard buddy I've been playing FoG with...but that's been impossible!
Anybody have any suggestions for making it work with Vista?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the gaming download service GOG.COM released all three I-Magic GB games (Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar) today as a bundle for $5.99. Claims they work in XP, Vista, 7, and 8. They do a lot of work with older classics to bring them up to working order on modern operating systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LeBlanc
United States
Plaistow
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had these back in the day, and picked up the GOG versions. They play pretty good on Windows 8.1 apart from an occasional crash (which the originals did as well.)

They hold up pretty well considering their age. Worth the five bucks for sure!

H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wetwarez wrote:
I see a computer version of this game published in the late 90s which is available on eBay. Is it any good?

I liked the computer versions. I still have them. They are pretty much a direct port from the board game. I prefer the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tritone wrote:
FWIW, the gaming download service GOG.COM released all three I-Magic GB games (Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar) today as a bundle for $5.99. Claims they work in XP, Vista, 7, and 8. They do a lot of work with older classics to bring them up to working order on modern operating systems.

Yep. I just recently discovered this and picked it up off GOG, it works on my Windows 7 machine.

It seems so far to be a direct adaptation of the older rules. Not sure of the specifics of rules updates and how much of a difference that makes. I'm really enjoying the PC version though, I still prefer the board game all things being equal, but it's rather nice to be able to finish most of the scenarios in an hour or two. The graphics are actually quite nice though the way the camera perspective is can make it tough to pick out units sometimes. Since I'm familiar with the mechanics of the system I don't feel like I'm losing that much insight by not manually processing the rules so I highly recommend it for anyone familiar with the rules.

I wonder if it'd be possible to mod them into other GBOH games. (not that I have any programming knowledge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I recall playing this once or twice. Isnt the AI a but dumb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb but relentless & always able to calculate the odds of every possible combat before moving. The AI has far more patience than I do, and is far better able to see the whole battlefield, so it does often win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodpoints wrote:

I wonder if it'd be possible to mod them into other GBOH games. (not that I have any programming knowledge)

The games were initially published individually but they later came out with a combo package that had a scenario editor to allow you to create your own battles. At one time there were sites on the web where people had created a lot of scenarios.

Update: I found the site with the scenarios:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Dumb but relentless & always able to calculate the odds of every possible combat before moving. The AI has far more patience than I do, and is far better able to see the whole battlefield, so it does often win.

Seems accurate by my experience so far as well. In particular, the AI seems to be able to use infantry lines quite well. Though I think it will always more enjoyable to give the AI the advantaged side, and/or you can also fiddle with the RP victory conditions. I've found that I'm able to adjust them without it feeling that much "to the last man" sillyness, which is nice since you can adjust the difficulty without having to let the AI cheat with the rules.

TonysWar wrote:

The games were initially published individually but they later came out with a combo package that had a scenario editor to allow you to create your own battles. At one time there were sites on the web where people had created a lot of scenarios.

Update: I found the site with the scenarios:

Awesome! thanks for the link. Seems like some of these (like Tanagra) were maybe done before, and not based, on the supplemental GBOH scenarios released. Hmmm, seems like you need to email the site curator proof of purchase to get a hold of the editor, wonder if the email's still active.

I was actually considering more the possibility of a more total conversion to run entirely different GBOH games, which would at least require modifying the shock and missile tables. Though, since I believe SPQR, Alexander, and Caesar: TCW have different tables, it might be doable. I wonder about other game specific rules like the various chariot rules in Chariots of Fire or feigned retreat in Devil's Horsemen; RAN/Samurai on the other hand would probably not be feasible considering how different the disruption and rout rules are. Also, you might have unit models that could stand in more for the former 2. (can't recall if there's Scythians or Persian/Indian chariots in any of the PC scenarios) Alas, any of that would probably be a major project, more than I could probably handle. But hey, after digital Twilight Struggle flies off shelves, maybe GMT will consider revisting computer (oooh or tablet) GBOH adaptations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
There was a guy who had created a bunch of scenarios and edited based upon his reading of history lots of scenarios. He had a large set of campaigns.

I think he was either Italian or Spanish. Not sure what happened to him or the primary campaigns he had. They were cool. Hypaspist Guard I think was his name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.