United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'be been seeing these Civony ads everywhere and in an idle moment decided I'd give it a try. (What can I say, I'm a sucker for a hot woman in medievalish clothing calling me "My Lord".)

It's basically an online, real-time Civilization game where you start off with a simple town and a bunch of resources. You build buildings, people arrive, you get more stuff and gradually you expand. As an "option" you can buy things in the game to enhance play, but you don't have to and they're really cheap.

Except you DO have to and they aren't particularly cheap.

Right now the game's helpful quest guider is telling me how best to develop my town. I need to build and upgrade more cottages to increase my population size. To do that, however, I need wood. Now, I'm gradually building up wood but it's going to take a VERY long time for me to get enough to do all the building I need to do. So, why not buy a Double Saw for just $0.50? It increases my wood production and lasts for a week.

Except, of course, it isn't fifty cents. It's fifty game cents and each game cent costs a dime. So that one little Saw, which will decrease the time it takes me to harvest enough wood from "forever" to "a really long time" costs five bucks.

Here are a few other things you'll no doubt buy if you want to play this game at all seriously:

$2.40 (aka $24) a World Speaker so you can talk to everyone
$0.45 (aka $4.50) Tax policy -- increase your tax revenues by 25% for one day.
$1.00 (aka $10) Speech text -- instantly shift your population to 100% loyalty, 0% grievance. Useful for breaking the game by treating your people like slaves and then buying your way out.

Now it may be that if you're happy playing this game on a turn basis, say once a day, that you can enjoy building up your town without spending money. Or perhaps you can spend a reasonable amount and feel like you're paying your monthly fee as with any other MMORG. But this game has a Mr. Suitcase problem that is much worse than that of a TCG like Magic: The Gathering. All these things you can buy are cumulative enhancers of your power. You can make your town produce more, your hero more powerful, your army mightier, etc., etc. No amount of skill can trump someone willing to spend more and, unlike a given TCG format, there is no apparent upperbound.

Bleah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
(What can I say, I'm a sucker for a hot woman in medievalish clothing calling me "My Lord".)

I see your point, but I find the ad annoying. It seems to be the only ad running today.

Quote:
Except, of course, it isn't fifty cents. It's fifty game cents and each game cent costs a dime.

yuk Wow.... that seems really shady.

Quote:
Bleah.

I haven't tried it, but based on your review, I agree with this sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
(What can I say, I'm a sucker for a hot woman in medievalish clothing calling me "My Lord".)

I'm getting the optimal amount of enjoyment possible. I stare at the woman in the ads, for free. Then, later on, I will consider that a) she got paid (I hope), b) Derk and Aldie got paid (I hope) and c) I didn't pay anyone. Part B ensures that I get to witness the glory of Chit Chat.

I think Today's Meme should be putting Bacon on Toggy. Or Bacon on Legion. Possible on Umbrella-less ducks. Haven't decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I see your point, but I find the ad annoying. It seems to be the only ad running today.

I'm hard to annoy, especially by things that involve an attractive torso.

As for the ad, it's not only running here a TON (and having advertised here regularly myself I have an idea of what that costs), I actually first saw it on Huffington Post, which I imagine costs a lot more. (I actually thought it was going to be some strange political 'joke' rather than an actual game.)

Quote:
Quote:
Except, of course, it isn't fifty cents. It's fifty game cents and each game cent costs a dime.

yuk Wow.... that seems really shady.

Yeah. It's definitely aimed to making the purchases "feel" much smaller than they are. When I checked out the market the "base" amount to spend was US$50 to buy 500 coins. One could easily spend that money in an hour or so of play, since there's no shortage of things to invest in.

On the other hand, it's all there up front...so it's not really any more shady than pricing things at $99.99 because human psychology makes us think that's meaningfully less than $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
For once I'm happy not to have ad blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I'm getting the optimal amount of enjoyment possible. I stare at the woman in the ads, for free. Then, later on, I will consider that a) she got paid (I hope), b) Derk and Aldie got paid (I hope) and c) I didn't pay anyone. Part B ensures that I get to witness the glory of Chit Chat.

I think Today's Meme should be putting Bacon on Toggy. Or Bacon on Legion. Possible on Umbrella-less ducks. Haven't decided.

Not to stray off topic, but Toggy is not certain that a putting bacon on Toggy meme is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:

Not to stray off topic, but Toggy is not certain that a putting bacon on Toggy meme is a good idea.

"Toggy doesn't need this."

By the way, Jacqui doesn't think it's a good idea either.

Sadly, both of you are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Now there are two ads -- one on the side and one on the top.

I feel like I'm being outnumbered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
Toggy wrote:

"Toggy doesn't need this."

By the way, Jacqui doesn't think it's a good idea either.

Sadly, both of you are wrong.

See, maybe its just me, but I can see that meme getting RSPed in an heartbeat. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel is digging the 3rd party response. Chapel is amused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read there isn't any Queen...not even a tavern wench! yuk I'm betting they'd sell a lot more $5 saws if there was a woman in the game saying she needed more wood. I should be a consultant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the new photo, I suspect the original Civony girl was an unauthorized use of a photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's every freaking time the forum main page is loaded. Every freaking time a thread opens. Or every freaking time I open a reply window. It reminds me of the week a few months back when every ad was for a humping dog that plugs into your computer. It was a horrible week, which I think of as "freaking humping dog week".

I get it.... they have a new game. It's apparantly some sort of deceptively priced scam, with marketing based on the freaking/humping theme, rather than any mention of game play.

Tired of it after half of one day -- I hope it doesn't last a whole week. How much is ad block, and how selective is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What gets me is how widespread(pun intended) this ad with the ladies is. Yesterday the woman was a much more...striking one.

Quite hard to hide while at work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
How much is ad block, and how selective is it?

Quote:
If you spend $25.00 or more, then you will be able to disable advertisements on BGG.

It just turns off ads. Are you wanting to just disable Civony ads only? Can't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could care less about the game or add, but MAN I'm in love with that model

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Pierce
United States
Tangent
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
It's every freaking time the forum main page is loaded. Every freaking time a thread opens. Or every freaking time I open a reply window. It reminds me of the week a few months back when every ad was for a humping dog that plugs into your computer. It was a horrible week, which I think of as "freaking humping dog week".

I get it.... they have a new game. It's apparantly some sort of deceptively priced scam, with marketing based on the freaking/humping theme, rather than any mention of game play.

Tired of it after half of one day -- I hope it doesn't last a whole week. How much is ad block, and how selective is it?

I find it amusing that they only page I don't see these ads on is this thread .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I'be been seeing these Civony ads everywhere and in an idle moment decided I'd give it a try. (What can I say, I'm a sucker for a hot woman in medievalish clothing calling me "My Lord".)

There was text on the ad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Now there are two ads -- one on the side and one on the top.

I feel like I'm being outnumbered.

Four to One.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, a pricing scheme more manipulative than XBox Live's. This is truly a great day for industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And such a wonderful economy for it.

ETA: Wow. 67 displays in less than five minutes. I don't care HOW big her rack is -- F this Ponzi game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an experiment I'm seeing what can be done without spending any money. So far I've made a few farms, saw mills and quarries and cottages for my peeps. It's a pretty basic growth engine where you have limited spots to put production facilities but can keep upgrading them at a steep resource cost to make them more efficient.

I'm close to what looks like stable growth but expect that at some not-too-distant point, someone is going to swing by with an army and conquer me. Fortunately I chose a female name and avatar, so with luck I'll become a palace pleasure-slave rather than being executed.

Edit to add: their tutorial is really lacking...I'd overbuilt cottages (as instructed by the quest guide) before I even realized that there was an "outside town" area where I could improve the rate at which I harvested basic resources.

Oh, and among the things you have to pay for you can include the ability to send messages to the world of players. You get a few free ones when you start out but then you go silent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that world messages are like 25c individually. That's worse than SMS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to file this under "suck". Do not pay $$ for in-game valuables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
As an experiment I'm seeing what can be done without spending any money. So far I've made a few farms, saw mills and quarries and cottages for my peeps. It's a pretty basic growth engine where you have limited spots to put production facilities but can keep upgrading them at a steep resource cost to make them more efficient.

I'm close to what looks like stable growth but expect that at some not-too-distant point, someone is going to swing by with an army and conquer me. Fortunately I chose a female name and avatar, so with luck I'll become a palace pleasure-slave rather than being executed.

Edit to add: their tutorial is really lacking...I'd overbuilt cottages (as instructed by the quest guide) before I even realized that there was an "outside town" area where I could improve the rate at which I harvested basic resources.

Oh, and among the things you have to pay for you can include the ability to send messages to the world of players. You get a few free ones when you start out but then you go silent.

Sounds like a clever MMOSG, the free empires are fodder for people who pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.