Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
American Megafauna has taken my game group by storm. We've been playing the coprolith out of it. Yesterday, a friend gave me Lords of the Spanish Main as a late birthday present. I hope to play this weekend, but I do have several questions about the rules.

1) Hold space of barques: Can barques hold exclusively soldiers or profits? That is, a size-2 barque can hold a maximum of 2 soldiers or 2 profit? Or could it also hold 1 soldier and 1 profit?

2) The example of play (pp. 10 and 11 in original rulebook) for the year 1625 describes a player using skullduggery to disrupt the Casa card during Phase C2 of this treasure year. This player then buys the Casa card during Phase C3a and implements the flota skullduggery immediately afterwards by designating one of his own fleets as the flota. How is that possible when skullduggery occurs before the auction in phase order? Is the flota skullduggery a special action that can occur at any point in the phase? Or is the Casa player designating his own fleet (as opposed to another player's fleet) not a form of skullduggery?

3) Determining order of play within a phase: The errata and living rules change this portion of the rulebook (B12). The latest rules now state: "Each player secretly selects the mordida or character chard that he wishes to be his crown for the year, and all reveal simultaneously. The player with the lowest moves first, followed by the second lowest, etc. The treasure player, however, must move last." How is this secret selection implemented? By removing all your cards from the calendar and selecting one to be shown? This rule seems to imply that players can jockey for turn order, whereas the original rule made turn order an immutable consequence of cards held?

4) During the card auction, cards (both the newly drawn card and any disrupted cards) can be auctioned in any order by any player? I suppose a player just begins an auction by announcing that a certain card is on the auction block?

5) In the case that an event card is drawn, do its effects take place before or after any disrupted cards are auctioned? (This may not matter; as I said at the top, we haven't played yet.)

6) In Sea Battles, does the flee result occur after any other result has been effected?

Thanks!

A
C
K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played twice Saturday, one incomplete and one complete game. The first (incomplete) game was fantastic and we were itching to play again immediatly, although one player had to leave. We rounded up two more players and got back to it. This second game was fun but at times a slog and I was happy when it ended at the beginning of the third decade. It's an interesting and unusual game that relies on the players to make it work. I look forward to playing again, but I don't think it will ever become a top favorite.

Since no one replied with answers to my questions, I'll give the best answers I can in hopes that someone else may find these useful.

ACK ACK wrote:
1) Hold space of barques: Can barques hold exclusively soldiers or profits? That is, a size-2 barque can hold a maximum of 2 soldiers or 2 profit? Or could it also hold 1 soldier and 1 profit?

Yes, that's correct. In addition, a pirate fleet does not require hold space to take ransom, plunder, or treasure. (So you can max out on barque soldiers.) However, if a pirate fleet turns slaver or quicksilver shipping, you must have hold space available. (That's a ruling we made on the fly.)

ACK ACK wrote:
2) The example of play (pp. 10 and 11 in original rulebook) for the year 1625 describes a player using skullduggery to disrupt the Casa card during Phase C2 of this treasure year. This player then buys the Casa card during Phase C3a and implements the flota skullduggery immediately afterwards by designating one of his own fleets as the flota. How is that possible when skullduggery occurs before the auction in phase order? Is the flota skullduggery a special action that can occur at any point in the phase? Or is the Casa player designating his own fleet (as opposed to another player's fleet) not a form of skullduggery?

Don't know about this. I would rule that this example is incorrect and the flota could not occur that turn.

ACK ACK wrote:
3) Determining order of play within a phase: The errata and living rules change this portion of the rulebook (B12). The latest rules now state: "Each player secretly selects the mordida or character chard that he wishes to be his crown for the year, and all reveal simultaneously. The player with the lowest moves first, followed by the second lowest, etc. The treasure player, however, must move last." How is this secret selection implemented? By removing all your cards from the calendar and selecting one to be shown? This rule seems to imply that players can jockey for turn order, whereas the original rule made turn order an immutable consequence of cards held?

In our gameplay, the number of crown cards on the table were few and this didn't come up. A possible solution is to secretly write your number selection on a piece of paper.

ACK ACK wrote:
4) During the card auction, cards (both the newly drawn card and any disrupted cards) can be auctioned in any order by any player? I suppose a player just begins an auction by announcing that a certain card is on the auction block?

Yes.

ACK ACK wrote:
5) In the case that an event card is drawn, do its effects take place before or after any disrupted cards are auctioned? (This may not matter; as I said at the top, we haven't played yet.)

We played that the event card occurs before auctions. This will have an effect on the game.

ACK ACK wrote:
6) In Sea Battles, does the flee result occur after any other result has been effected?

Yes, both results always occur, so the flee result happens last.

ACK ACK wrote:
Thanks!

A
C
K

You're welcome, buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.