♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
For years, I used standard mice, with the roller ball inside to track the pointer that would inevitably get so dirty with grime that I would have to unscrew the bottom to clean the ball and the interior rollers. Of course, before I reached this point, I would try to "unstick" the ball be trying a number of different tactics, including (but not limited to):

1. Shaking the mouse.
2. Picking the mouse up and repositioning it on a different place on the pad.
3. Cursing the mouse.

For the past five years or so, I've become accustomed to using optical mice, and over the past two or three years, I've come to love my cordless mouse. I no longer have to worry about mousepads, cord limitations, or the interior ball getting dirty, but now I do have to worry about the batteries running out. One of the cordless mice I have (I have one at home and one at work) is a battery glutton, and when the batteries starts dying, the pointer sticks, won't move, etc., just like what used to happen when I used the mice with the balls. So what do I do when this behavior occurs?

1. Shake the mouse.
2. Pick up the mouse and reposition it on a different place on the desk.
3. Curse the mouse.

Of course, shaking the mouse or repositioning it has no effect on an optical mouse, and cursing it is about as effective as doing the same to a standard mouse. So I guess the post isn't really about my cordless optical mouse, but more about stupid human behavior.

Thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My cordless mouse uses batteries at a truly frightening rate, and the only thing I can figure is that vibrations from the desktop fan induce enough shaking to keep the thing constantly awake, despite its inherent time-out cutoff. If I forget to use the power switch on the mouse's underside I can expect to replace the battery every three or four days. Aside from this minor quibble (how hard is it really to turn off every now and again?) I love the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I can't remember the last time I changed the batteries in my work cordless optical mouse. Probably about 3 months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever wondered how your pointer moves around? Here's a tool that seriously magnifies your pointer so you can see.

http://2006.1-click.jp/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
For years, I used standard mice, with the roller ball inside to track the pointer that would inevitably get so dirty with grime that I would have to unscrew the bottom to clean the ball and the interior rollers. Of course, before I reached this point, I would try to "unstick" the ball be trying a number of different tactics, including (but not limited to):

1. Shaking the mouse.
2. Picking the mouse up and repositioning it on a different place on the pad.
3. Cursing the mouse.

For the past five years or so, I've become accustomed to using optical mice, and over the past two or three years, I've come to love my cordless mouse. I no longer have to worry about mousepads, cord limitations, or the interior ball getting dirty, but now I do have to worry about the batteries running out. One of the cordless mice I have (I have one at home and one at work) is a battery glutton, and when the batteries starts dying, the pointer sticks, won't move, etc., just like what used to happen when I used the mice with the balls. So what do I do when this behavior occurs?

1. Shake the mouse.
2. Pick up the mouse and reposition it on a different place on the desk.
3. Curse the mouse.

Of course, shaking the mouse or repositioning it has no effect on an optical mouse, and cursing it is about as effective as doing the same to a standard mouse. So I guess the post isn't really about my cordless optical mouse, but more about stupid human behavior.

Thank you for your time.

My cat used to play with the mouse, so I needed new batteries at least once a month. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Two words: rechargeable batteries. Duracell makes these new ones that are for high-drain devices. They're working very well at home for me!

Uh, I guess that was more than two words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Optical mice = awesome.
Cordless mice = waste of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Optical mice = awesome.

Not when your mouse is as far away from the computer as mine is, suspended on a little platform next to the keyboard, which is pulled out from the desk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
1. The ones that's giving me problems is my work one. So the drain on the batteries is definitely NOT the cat. But I was thinking earlier that I do need to get in the habit of turning it off when I leave. That would definitely help.

2. I've tried the rechargeable battery route, and it just doesn't seem to work. The power drains in about 1/10th the time.

3. I once had a corded mouse on this 'puter, and I had -- literally -- about two inches of cord to spare for moving it around. I got tired of the move-and-lift routine, and decided to get a cordless mouse for it. Best. Solution. EVAR. Plus, it makes it a lot easier to circle-strafe these damned newbs without having to worry about the cord.

PEW PEW PEW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
Optical mice = awesome.

Not when your mouse is as far away from the computer as mine is, suspended on a little platform next to the keyboard, which is pulled out from the desk.

Sure, they are not wasteful in all situations, but try to go to a local store to buy anything other than the most basic mouse with a wire. My wife had to go online to find a decent mouse that still had a wire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
the drain on the batteries is definitely NOT the cat

That's what you think.

-Lilly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
amwiles wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
Optical mice = awesome.

Sure, they are not wasteful in all situations, but try to go to a local store to buy anything other than the most basic mouse with a wire. My wife had to go online to find a decent mouse that still had a wire!

And they're often like $20! You should be able to go into any store and get a corded optical 3-button with the scrolly mouse for like 5 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a cordless "trackball" that is rechargable. Works awesome!

I hate mice in any form. They suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that when the battery starts to die that it doesn't produce consistent voltage any more, thereby creating intermittent connectivity.

Weak batteries cause all kinds of wonky inconsistent behaviors in electrical devices.

So what do you do? Replace the friggin batteries! yuk

Logitech makes a rechargeable that you stick in a cradle. The charge is good for a days work or a few hours of gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have a cordless "trackball" that is rechargable. Works awesome!

I hate mice in any form. They suck.

My favorite pointing device from the day was the Kensington trackball. It used a billiard cue ball (nearly) that simply rested in a well with micro-rollers. Unfortunately, the buttons on the damn thing had the world's lowest MTTF microswitches ever made. One of these days I need to get a really good trackball device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my cordless, optical mouse. It's logitech. The nice thing about it is that is has a USB plug into my laptop which plugs into the bottom of the mouse when not using which automatically shuts the mouse off.

2nd, the batteries I use are ones from my digital camera. The power needed on the digital camera is much greater than the power needs on the mouse so when the digital camera can't use them anymore, the mouse sure can. One of these batteries will still last about a month with probably over 60+ hours of use/week. I actually have quite backlog of batteries from my camera so, I'm good for quite awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
2. I've tried the rechargeable battery route, and it just doesn't seem to work. The power drains in about 1/10th the time.

All batteries are not created equal. I've noticed a lot of low prices charger/battery combos for sale usually come with cheaper, low capacity cells. (1200 mah or less)

2500 mah or better AA cells will run $2 or so each, (I have a stock of Kodak 2500 mah cells I use for a digital camera and wireless console controllers, and they've performed excellently.) but they'll last a lot longer.

Some of the newer ones (like the 'Eneloop' brand) even have discharge prevention circuits and won't go flat sitting on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.