Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I admit it. I have no business placing $100 orders from Thoughthammer just to get $4.50 off shipping. And while I can generally stick to my 1 new game per month rule, I occassionally fall off the wagon and order 3 games in one month... Last December, for example, I ordered: Galactic Emperor, Ghost Stories, and Rails Of Europe. A veritable gaming treasure trove for me!

Since then, I've "slowly" acquired Zooloretto, Glory To Rome, Wasabi, Red November, Starship Catan, RFTG: The Gathering Storm, Lightspeed, Agora, The Very Clever Pipe Game, and probably something that I'm forgetting. Actually, after typing this, it looks like I fell off the wagon in January and February too.. OK, so 3 of those are Cheapass games that cost $4.50 each, but they count as individual titles in my collection, don't they?

So this month, I had another relapse (no one else agreed to go in on my Thoughthammer order so I had to do the dirty work myself to save $4.50 in shipping). Check out the goods:

Small World
Neuroshima Hex
Container

These are 3 games I am SO looking forward to arriving in the mail. Please don't knock any of these, as I can read negative reviews if I want to. I want to enjoy the upcoming shipment of these titles without reservation. I already have buyer's remorse... OK I don't. But I'm afraid to tell anyone what I bought, so I'm telling you guys, my secret, untraceable friends on the internet...

I think I've outdone myself this time!!!! Come on, pump me up about my order. Tell me why it's great (or why my belief that it is great can be justified) (or how to look at my crappy order so that I still think it is my best order ever so I don't feel bad for ordering it)!

Mike... err... Joe (from Australia)... yeah... Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jealous..

Have fun with those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Galactic Emperor, Ghost Stories, Rails Of Europe, Zooloretto, Glory To Rome, Wasabi, Red November, Starship Catan, Lightspeed, Agora, The Very Clever Pipe Game, and probably something that I'm forgetting yet?

How are those games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Have you played Galactic Emperor, Ghost Stories, Rails Of Europe, Zooloretto, Glory To Rome, Wasabi, Red November, Starship Catan, Lightspeed, Agora, The Very Clever Pipe Game, and probably something that I'm forgetting yet?

How are those games?

Hah! I forgot RFTG: The Gathering Storm... I knew I forgot something... going back to edit...

Good question! I pride myself on not being a collector, but a player, so I have very few titles in my collection I have not played. But, to answer your question:

Galactic Emperor - I really like this one. It is quick, dynamic, and satisfies the galactic conquest side of me. Last game I played was a 4 player game that lasted 90 minutes, and I got to do scientific research, invest in resources, build space ships, go to war, harvest goods from planets, and take control of the galactic senate. Not too bad for a 90 minute game!

Ghost Stories - I really like this one. I don't think it's as tough as other people say it is (or maybe it is). I've won a few times, and the times I've lost have only been by a handful of cards. Twice I lost while the big baddie was on the table. So I think it's a perfectly well-balanced game that plays pretty consistently if you don't rely on a strategy that is entirely focused on getting lucky die rolls. Plus (and this is a BIG plus for me), it plays great solo! As a cooperative game, it's a great one for me!

RFTG: The Gathering Storm - This game made my year so far. I LOVE RFTG, but could not find a way to play it often, and TGS added solo play to one of my favorites. It's my new go-to solo game of choice!

Rails Of Europe - No, I haven't played it yet. However, I have played someone else's copy previously, and I really like this expansion, as it brings one of my favorite games to a 3-4 player game (rather than a 5-6), meaing it will get played more!

Zooloretto - Yes, I've played this twice. I like it, but need more plays with the family before I can really comment on it. I don't regret the purchase at all. It's a family game, and that's who I bought it for.

Glory To Rome - Got my first play in last night! I had a great time. I think the game is solid, and I'm looking forward to more plays. It is quite unique, and I'm glad I invested in this one. It is definitely easier to learn than RFTG, although it is no less complex due to the increased interaction with other players. Funny how a simple card game can basically utilize an entire gaming table...

Wasabi - A great gateway game, especially for those that like sushi. It is more of a brain burner than I expected. I've liked all the plays I've had (4 plays). It definitely fills a niche I was missing (the food niche...).

Red November - This one was so so for me. I liked it at first, especially since it plays solo... but it didn't quite grab me enough, so I traded it for Starship Catan. Entertaining, quirky, unique, and only $17. I probably should have kept it, but I wanted Starship Catan more than this one.

Starship Catan - This one I really like (after one play). My wife liked it (I bought it for her). It's definitely completely different than Settlers of Catan, and fills my need for good space games. I need to play it more to really comment on it, but my first playing was fun.

Lightspeed - For $5, what more can you ask. Quick play. Shooting lasers. Destroying ships. Mining ore. STEALING ore. Real-time strategy. All in 10 minutes or less. I don't regret this purchase at all!

Agora and Very Clever Pipe Game - Two more games for $4 each. I picked these up with my Lightspeed order, and haven't played them. But heck, I spent more on lunch yesterday than on these two combined, so I don't feel guilt! They look great, however.

The only other game in my collection I have yet to play is Traders Of Genoa (just haven't gotten the group together for a while).

Whew. Hope that answers your question!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

Small World
Neuroshima Hex
Container

This would be my perfect order right now or for the last 3 months,

Sigh..... what are the chances UPS will deliver them to my door instead??

All right I know someone is gonna say 50/50 devil on UPS screwing up so I will say it first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex is one of our current favorites.

Can't wait for Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you anything about Neuroshima Hex, but I really enjoyed my few games of Container.

I too am excited about Small World. I've been hoping to get Vinci in every math trade I've been in for the last 3 years, so having a Vinci-type game available again can't be bad.

Enjoy your purchase! It looks great from where I am sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I'll abstain from this vote given very different perspectives on this much more important than games.

Personally, this:
mjacobsca wrote:
But forget about my credit card's dismal state.

and this:
mjacobsca wrote:
placing $100 orders from Thoughthammer

are mutually exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Glory To Rome - Got my first play in last night! I had a great time. I think the game is solid, and I'm looking forward to more plays. It is quite unique, and I'm glad I invested in this one. It is definitely easier to learn than RFTG, although it is no less complex due to the increased interaction with other players. Funny how a simple card game can basically utilize an entire gaming table...

Hrm. Easier to learn the RftG? Not so sure about that, myself. Ok, no icons to terrify people, but the card flow is a good bit more complex, and there are simply more rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexd wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:

Hrm. Easier to learn the RftG? Not so sure about that, myself. Ok, no icons to terrify people, but the card flow is a good bit more complex, and there are simply more rules.

To be honest Alex, I didn't find RFTG that hard to learn either. I got it by the end of my first solo play. I guess I'm looking at it from what I perceive to be a new player's viewpoint. While I think GTR's card flow is more complex, you can do and know almost everything you need to do with just the text on the card camp in front of you, whereas in RFTG you literally need 2 player aids (2 sides of 1 aid), and explanatory text in the manual to learn all the symbols and how to play with them. Once you learn them, I think the game is very simple (I like the icons). But there are really only 6 different actions to take in GTR, whereas in RFTG there are dozens of different actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex is great fun! I got mine from Thought Hammer as well when they had it on their 'Thoughtful Specials' page. You'll enjoy it Im sure!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwafaith wrote:
I'm glad to see TH get some notice. All my new games for the past three years have been through TH. Their response time, customer service, and attention to personal requests is highly valued. I rarely buy from anyone else (in the USA). I highly recommend them if you have never visited their site. JayDub

I'll second their customer service. Carrie from TH always writes me back with long, thoughtful answers to my questions. Can I give GG to TH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I'm concerned, Thoughthammer is to game buyers what Rio Grande Games and Days of Wonder is to game players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to see Small World hit a local gaming meetup table soon....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free shipping gets me ordering extra games, too!

Container might be the one I would be looking forward to the most, as I really want to try it out! I personally don't own any of those three you added on, but wish I was in your gaming group so I could try them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're buying stuff you can't afford *and* hiding it for fear of what others (who presumably know your situation) may think, you've got an issue, and need to work it out.

Thoughthammer might be great, but not getting your car repo'd or electric shut off is far more important.

Plenty of people around you will have games to play - hold off on buying, and you'll still be able to play plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping to Australia is a killer isn't it Joe!

Otherwise - a very excellent order in my view! I love NHex, am looking forward to Small World, and have read a lot of good things about Container.

Quote:
If you're buying stuff you can't afford *and* hiding it for fear of what others (who presumably know your situation) may think, you've got an issue, and need to work it out.

Thoughthammer might be great, but not getting your car repo'd or electric shut off is far more important.

Plenty of people around you will have games to play - hold off on buying, and you'll still be able to play plenty.

GRrrrr - Jeff! You could have posted this an hour ago! BEFORE I traded my child's dinner for a preview of Dominion: Intrigue!

Have fun!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanetSmasher wrote:
I can't tell you anything about Neuroshima Hex, but I really enjoyed my few games of Container.

I too am excited about Small World. I've been hoping to get Vinci in every math trade I've been in for the last 3 years, so having a Vinci-type game available again can't be bad.

Enjoy your purchase! It looks great from where I am sitting.

Really? It didn't seem like you cared for Container that much. Unless of course it was because of some of the players at the table. Let me know if you want to get it back to the table again.

Hope you enjoy Container.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.