GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game Major Issue: mighty monster are too cheap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Galli
Italy
Como
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played quite a bit this game with the expansion vault of the fiends. It is not a bad game but I think there's still something not good at all in the mechanics and I am not able to unveil it.
We have played with the rule "Hero killed = Player eliminated" as stated in the manual. I think that is the best choice for a right approach to a "Dungeoncrawl" game.
But here is one of the issue I have found.
Minor monsters are just ok, you have to spend not that much peril for a not so great monster. On the other hand greater monsters and even dungeon lords such as the Lich Lord or Ramalith requires too few peril points to be played. If a player is able to get one of these great monsters at the beginning, he is probably going to be the winner soon.
In fact,these creatures could be played just after 1-2 turns from the beginning and can be played again and again until they kill all the players.
Are these just my feelings or someone else has experienced similar problems?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not found the stronger monsters to be unbalanced. Here are some rules you may be missing:

-Each monster may only attack once, on the owner's dungeonlord phase.
-Each time you use the monster, you have to spend the peril cost from the target of the attack. You can only spend peril from one hero.
-The stronger monsters have 2 wounds. When they are injured once they keep that wound.

Also, try the set up option where you put all of the map pieces out at the start. This will help players complete their quests faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Galli
Italy
Como
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use all the rules mentioned except the map placement before the beginning. The fact is, you get at last 2 peril from each zone except the entrance, so with just 3 movement you can have a strong monster placed down. Even if the enemy has to spend each time 6 peril points, they are worth the 2 damage point that he makes you lose or the 1 point + bad happening. There are also other iusses but this is one of the biggest ones I have found that can make a match frustrating and really quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could also try stacking your deck (1s/2s, 3s/4s, 5s+) so that the powerful treasures/boons/monsters/traps are not going to be drawn at the top of the deck or for quite a few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Galli
Italy
Como
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have solved the issue with a "DICE TURN COUNTER".
After each player has played his turn, the dice starting from one up to six increments its value. Only cards with a value equal or lower to the value kept by the dice can be played.
So far, so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.