GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,858 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: I just don't seem to understand. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finding myself very lost in the combat rules.
I would apprechiate any help given..

1.i am defending and have a seige tank. the attacker has a ultralisk with a zergling in support. I destroy the ultralisk,is it possible to destroy the zergling too?

2.I have a marine supported by firebat with a science vessel behind the firebat. i battle a hydralisk but do not destroy it nor does the marine get destroyed. is the science vessel able to do anything.

3. Can a scourge destroy any ground units and if so what are the circumstances.

4. i have a specialized strategy card saying at the start of each regrouping phase choose up to 2 combat cards from discard pile.
Do i then have 2 extra combat cards in future turns or discard back to my original limit at stage 9 or regrouping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Not without splash damage. Now if that zergling had been an assist unit, then it would have to leave, (see the rules about what happens if there are only assist units left on one side or both.

2) The Science vessel can only do things with the assist cards it allows you to play.

3) NO

4) You get two extra cards during regrouping. When you get to your hand limit/discard phase, you discard down as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant,thank you for answering my question.
I think have all my answers now,well until another scenario appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
1) Not without splash damage. Now if that zergling had been an assist unit, then it would have to leave, (see the rules about what happens if there are only assist units left on one side or both.

Firstly, if the zergling had been a *support* unit, not an assist unit.

Secondly, under very special circumstances, it is possible to kill the Zergling indirectly without splash. See below...

Windopaene wrote:
3) NO

Scenario: planet with two areas, no transports on any routes connected to this planet. One area has my scourge and my base; the other area contains an opponent's high templar (an assist unit).

I mobilize from my base's area to the other area. My scourge faces his high templar. I can't attack him; he can't attack me. I don't play a scourge combat card for this skirmish - let's say I play the 7/6 hydralisk card and use the minor values - so under the base game's rules, my scourge is not "sacrificed" and doesn't die. In the "withdraw" step of the battle, since the defender only has assist units left, the defender has to withdraw. But it has nowhere to withdraw to, so it is destroyed.

Now for an example of the special circumstances in question 1):
Scenario: planet with two areas, no transports on any routes connected to this planet. On one area is my (Terran) base, together with his two units (Zergling and ultralisk). The other area contains my lone siege tank.

Opponent foolishly attacks my siege tank using the ultralisk and zergling. I kill the ultralisk with no splash, and for some reason, oppo's ultralisk doesn't have sufficient strength to kill my siege tank. At the withdraw step, since the defender's surviving units contain non-assist units (i.e. a siege tank), the attacker has to withdraw any surviving units (the zergling). But the zergling has nowhere to go, since the other area on this planet is neither friendly nor empty for oppo. So the zergling is destroyed.

I leave it as an exercise to construct a sequence of actions leading to the scenario I just described. It's possible, and not too far-fetched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rule I would like to know if I have got right.

I attack an area containing a seige tank and a firebat.I attack with 5 marines and a firebat. Am I allowed to attack the seige tank with a marine + 3 supporting marines,then have a firebat + 1 supporting marine against the firebat,or do i have to even the support units out,eg 3v1 then 3v1.Also if the seige tank had splash damage would it have to defeat something to trigger the splash damage.

I think yes I can attack with 4 marines v seige tank.
I think splash damage would only be triggered if the seige tank destroys something,(not the firebat destroying something)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
Another rule I would like to know if I have got right.

I attack an area containing a seige tank and a firebat.I attack with 5 marines and a firebat. Am I allowed to attack the seige tank with a marine + 3 supporting marines,then have a firebat + 1 supporting marine against the firebat,or do i have to even the support units out,eg 3v1 then 3v1.Also if the seige tank had splash damage would it have to defeat something to trigger the splash damage.

You don't have to even them up. In fact, you could even do a marine + 4 supporting marines against the siege tank, and lone firebat against the opposing firebat. As long as you have at least a FLU in each skirmish, the support units can be mixed and matched as unbalanced-ly as you want.

Quote:
I think yes I can attack with 4 marines v seige tank.
I think splash damage would only be triggered if the seige tank destroys something,(not the firebat destroying something)

Splash damage could be triggered by either the Siege Tank or the Firebat, depending on the card they play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splash damage could be triggered by either the Siege Tank or the Firebat, depending on the card they play.[/q]

What I was meaning is if the seige tank had splash damage ability but the firebat didnt,would it have to be the seige tank that destroyed an enemy to trigger it.
The firebat destroying a unit would not trigger the seige tanks splash damage would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
Splash damage could be triggered by either the Siege Tank or the Firebat, depending on the card they play.

What I was meaning is if the seige tank had splash damage ability but the firebat didnt,would it have to be the seige tank that destroyed an enemy to trigger it.
The firebat destroying a unit would not trigger the seige tanks splash damage would it?[/q]
Correct. For the Firebat to trigger splash, the Firebat would have to have a card with Splash played in THAT skirmish.

IE, when a card triggers splash, it only triggers it if a unit is killed in the skirmish it is played in. The splash casualty can come from anywhere, but to trigger, it does matter where the splash is triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.