GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Missing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just curious how many of your new games come without all the pieces they are supposed to come with.

I have 21 games and out of those I have had 3 that had issues such as a missing card or a missing bit. In 2 of those situations I had an extra bit that wasn't supposed to be in the box.

All 3 situations were easily remedied with an e-mail to the appropriate party. Happy ending for sure in all 3 instances, but how dissapointing knowing you have to send the e-mail begging for the component that was supposed to be in the box when you purchased it.

So my new board game packaging errors stands about:

14%

Is this about average?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missing parts: 0%.
Complete games: 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 14% is about right if we also factor in misprinting (like something is supposed to be red but it turns out orange). In some cases it has been easy to remedy. In others, no response. In one case they sent me another misprinted piece.

All in all it hasn't done much to deter my game purchases but I do think twice before dealing with certain companies again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Out of maybe 150 games I bought over time, only two were missing parts. One other had pieces, that were not as good as they should have been and needed to be replaced.
So 14% seems way over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking 14% would have been high, but of course thats out of only 21 games for me, maybe as I continue to buy my percent will decrease.... Just wanted to get the feel for where others were at because to me maybe 5% is acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought quite a few games over the years (probably well over 100, especially if you count expansions), and can only think of 2 games that were missing a piece.

Back in the 80's, my Heroes for Dungeonquest expansion was missing the Ninja figure. This was before the days of the Internet & E-mail, so I ended up just using on of my other lead minis to fill in, and never even looked into a replacement.

More recently, my copy of Order of the Stick Adventure Game: The Dungeon of Dorukan was missing the Belkar marker card. One E-mail to APE Games, and there was one in my mailbox before I knew it.

So, less than 2% for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of about 50 games, I can only think of one that was missing a piece, and it was immediately sent out after an email request.

2%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must just be lucky....Think I could win a contest now and then...no.

But I am glad people have lower percentage issues than me, I was begining to think it was just to be expected in boardgames and that is why the companies send a piece out no questions asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of my 250 games I had
1 game with wrong pieces (War of the Ring)
2 games with bad pieces (Dungeoneer, Red November)

but that's ok because on the other hand I had
1 game with 124 extra wood pieces (Agricola) cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 230 games. From the ones I bought new, 1 had missing pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm.... not that many. Of the 100+ modern games I've picked up, I've had one come with unusable pieces (Ys, mold; quickly replaced) and I think one with a shortage of pieces (also quickly fixed). I've had several come with extra pieces (e.g. Tikal, but others too). I've had a few with minorly damaged pieces (e.g. Antike where one of the soldiers has a gimp leg and another has taken a major head wound) but were completely playable, so I ignored the issue. (Actually, we joke about the issue when playing Antike.) So, maybe 5% if you include minor issues, and less than 2% for replacements needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of my games: Missing pieces in 0%, extra pieces 10%

My FFG games: Missing pieces in 80% of them, extra pieces 10%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of 10 games purchased to date.

Games missing pieces: 10% (ATS game)
Complete: 90%

So far so good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have had about 300 Games, and I have had 7 new games with a few missing pieces (most in the last 5 years). All quickly given by Customer Service.

Edit: I went through my collection after my post and counted which ones had missing pieces for a more accurate post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwafaith wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
Out of about 50 games, I can only think of one that was missing a piece, and it was immediately sent out after an email request.

2%

Ditto out of more than one hundred games. surprise

At the current rate I have been getting incomplete new games, I will need to purchase 129 new games and then have none of them have missing bits or cards just to equal only a 2% screwing.... Well good thing for me all the customer service was top notch and pieces were all sent out quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
becki ellis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No missing pieces, but luckally I once got an extra red piece in Carcassonne Discovery which then replaced the red meeple I lost for my origional carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Petit
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have around 275 games (including expansions)

Of those, I had 3 with missing components and 1 with damaged components.

All of them got corrected (It was a bit long with the last one....Valley Games IS long to correct things out....but corrected it eventually).

So, if my math is correct, I have a 1,4% rate of "unluckiness".

When it does happen, the customer support makes all the difference.

While I am at it, may I hearthily say that Mayfair and Asmodée customer service were both exeplary in their efficiency?

Cheers

Micquebec

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In A Game of Thrones (First Edition) one of my Greyjoy footmen was missing, but there was a black meeple sealed in the bag instead. Does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
In A Game of Thrones (First Edition) one of my Greyjoy footmen was missing, but there was a black meeple sealed in the bag instead. Does that count?

Yeah, I count that as an incomplete new game, but you can expect that kind of devious trickery when one plays the game of thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only had missing/damaged pieces twice. One was an Avalon Hill game, and they replaced the damaged cards right away. The other was a Valley Games purchase. Valley Games current employees totally ignored me. A former employee wrote to me and apologized when he saw my BGG post about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can remember:

Attika had one wrong tile (999Games - solved quick)
Reef Encounter had one broken piece (QWG - solved)
Cleopatra Society blabla missing Cleopatra (DoW - solved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.