Subject: SoloPlay Variant for Stone Age is now available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: SoloPlay [+] solitaire_variant [+] [View All]
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A way to play Stone Age in a solo format has been posted to the Geek.

The download is available using the following link:
Stone Age SoloPlay Rules

This is #10 in the SoloPlay series.
More game files available here on the Geek can be accessed from the following Geeklist:
SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek

SoloPlay- BGG user GameRulesforOne
(Design Goals: Improve game value by providing a challenging solo variant that plays like the original. Primarily these are games that no longer get to the table as often, if at all, like they used to.) This one is getting heavy play currently as a gateway game.

Preface:
I am not someone who enjoys dice games as I used to in my youth and don’t get me started on SoC. I read up on Stone Age here on the Geek for about 3 months before I determined that it might be a quicker game of SoC and one my wife would play.

It was a hit immediately. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants to play a quick, fun, mildly strategic (I refer to it as a positional strategy) game. It is easy to learn and those that play it on BSW have logged many hundreds of plays. It obviously has something to offer.

The game group has recently picked up on this one even though I have had it for about a year now. It is excellent for 2 couples which is the way we have been playing it.

Stone Age Solo Design Comments:

I had 2 concerns that I had about designing a solo version of this game.

The first and primary concern is the dice rolling. I want the solo games to be based on strategy and since the design was for one player the “luck factor” had to be controlled to increase the strategic elements. The 2nd concern was how to make the solo game different each time it is played. Every time I have played the multi-player game I have been left with a feeling of sameness about it. I don’t mind in this case since the game plays so fast. It is important in the solo that there is variety to make you want to keep playing.

After playing through a few “regular” solo plays using the normal rules I wanted to get a clear understanding of what I was up against.

The game needed resource and card restrictions and a way to allow the player to control the elements and to be able to employ different techniques to achieve a victory. To reduce the “luck factor” all huts and cards are maintained face up so that the player can determine which might be the best path to follow.

After playing this through a good number of times it became clear that something needed to be done about the village as well. The “occupy only one area” idea was not getting it and neither was “open access”. This is where I came up with a perhaps unusual way to deal with the problem and increase strategic play. The village is controlled by the food track whose advancement is controlled by the "hut". As the food track increases the player can use more of the village. The trick is that advancing up the food track is tied to how many “people” are in the hut (yet to enter the game). If you grow your tribe too quickly, feeding will be a big challenge but the food track will be cheaper to advance. Advancing the food track 1st costs the player more food and potentially actions. Needless to say that the use of the field is a crucial item to be accounted for to be successful in the game. “That’s fine I will just starve my people”, you might say. I worked the starvation strategy to the nth degree and found that it was tipping the balance too much so something needed to added to keep the balance.

The key to the solo game is the first player marker (I refer to him as the “tribal elder”). This guy controls the game and dictates what materials can be used to do everything. The material to use to purchase cards, feed your people or make an offering to allow him to accept you starving his people is determined by which area he resides in. The player can control his movement at a cost but this control also adds an additional strategic element which is dealt with in the civilization card area.

It was clear early on that a 1 resource card was not going to be acceptable since there is no competition so for most of the game the cards are in the 2, 3 and 4 positions. Why would I want to pay 3 or 4 for a card? You are granted additional abilities when you make the upper purchases. The functions granted are crucial to executing a solid card strategy but also to better use the huts.

By tying together all areas of the board and using all of the components (the tribal elder was crucial), the SoloPlay game was put together but how does it play? If you have played any of the other solo variants that I have put together you know that I am not going to make it easy for you (I did include ways to make the game harder or easier).

I can say that the game plays very tight and the luck factor of the dice rolling falls in line with the new strategic play. To bring in success, you really need to see how all of the components integrate. I have scored almost 200 points and less than 20 points(when trying to push a new strategy and too much luck). Your success lies in how you position the resources in the setup, there are numerous decisions that you need to make, and how you are able to grow, feed and use your people to create an effective balance. If you go straight after people and starvation, you will struggle unless you get some extremely good rolls. If you focus too much on feeding, you will waste crucial turns feeding your tribe instead of scoring points. There is a balance in there that you need to find.

Play time is about 30-45 minutes so it still plays very fast.

Goal of the rule design:
1. Maintain the game mechanics of the original.
2. Increase the tactical and level of challenge. Control the luck factor.
3. Give the game variety. Not all cards and huts are in play. These create the variety.

Comments are always welcome.

Strategies:
1. The setup is crucial. You may want to play without removing materials 1st to see what your tendencies are and make adjustments for the next game. I find the food adjustment of particular concern.
2. Everything in the game can count for or against you and no information is hidden. You are in control of your success. The dice are just tools.
3. 14 turns maximum, for the regular rules, develop a plan quickly and execute it.
4. The civilization card area is crucial because depending where the tribal leader is you may have to pay gold for cards which can be quite pricey. The area holds the key to upper level game success.
5. The village will be the heart of your game. By mid-game you need to be executing the plan.

Final Thoughts
The game certainly has a high level of challenge but it is doable. I can get the low level win about 40-50% of the time and have achieved the highest level a handful of times. My average game score has been climbing as I learn how to balance the resources to the cards and huts.

I rate Stone Age a 6 to be able to learn and play in the multi-player game. I would give this variant a 7+ maybe pushing an 8. With all of those BSW players out there, I know that there is way more knowledge out there about the odds etc. than I currently understand in this game. I wanted to make sure that everyone can find a good challenge in this solo variant.

I hope you have fun with this and find it has a great deal of re-playability.

If you have questions about the rules, you can be post them here or to this user’s mailbox to be answered individually, if needed. I will add a FAQ to this post as I see the need.

Other games that will be/are available from SoloPlay/GameRulesforOne are posted within a Geeklist that I created: SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek

All new variants and information about upcoming projects will be listed there.

A game that sits in a closet is a waste. Get it out and play it any way you can. These are just my ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question: no food in the hunting grouds at the setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will only be food in the hunting grounds for the 1st turn if you choose to add it during setup for a cost of 2 points per food.

There are reasons to increase the food supply such as to be able to have enough food to buy one of the early cards and still have enough food to feed your tribe.

The food will have limited use so the 2 points per food unit can be pricey given the number of times you need to be above 10.

I leave it for you to determine if it fits your game plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arsonist Aunt May
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your hard work! I am excited to try out this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about final scoring:

At the end of the game when you deduct points for cards that were not purchased and discarded, do you also deduct points for cards remaining on the board at the end of the game that were not purchased?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Salamone wrote:
Question about final scoring:

At the end of the game when you deduct points for cards that were not purchased and discarded, do you also deduct points for cards remaining on the board at the end of the game that were not purchased?

Answer: No, the cards left on the board are not counted against the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't completely understand the bit about the village in the rules. I get that you can only fill spots in the village according to the number on the food track, and when you are in the resolve phase of each round you must resolve tools before farm before hut. But when you're placing people initially, can you put them in any spot? Ie can I just put two people on the hut without putting any on farm or tools?

Also if you use the food track to purchase a card, you can later push it back up again with a person in the farm? It doesn't disappear permanently like if you use a tool to buy a card?

I am looking forward to trying this varient
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesslc wrote:
I didn't completely understand the bit about the village in the rules. I get that you can only fill spots in the village according to the number on the food track, and when you are in the resolve phase of each round you must resolve tools before farm before hut. But when you're placing people initially, can you put them in any spot? Ie can I just put two people on the hut without putting any on farm or tools?
Answer#1: Yes, you can place them in the village in any order but the order resolved is specific. I don't have the rules in front of me, so if I mis-spoke, I will update you with a correction. I recall there to be any restriction in placement.

jesslc wrote:
Also if you use the food track to purchase a card, you can later push it back up again with a person in the farm? It doesn't disappear permanently like if you use a tool to buy a card?
Answer#2: Correct, you can always "recharge" the food track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Name
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
A few quick questions, and major praises for the balance and a way to play the game solo!! EXCELLENT!

1. For the purpose of having an easier overall view of what ,multiplier guys, or liquid asset food is in your deck. Do you think it matters if you take the 13 civ cards, and the 2 x 5 stacks of buildings remaining after first deal, and deal them into ordered rows. Then when you need to replace a purchased card or building just pull from the next in line. This doesn't seem to be game breaking as the cards in the deck are known and can be looked at, at any time.

2.) Some confusion on the 2x 3x and 4x tool rewards,
a. are these paid from the stacks in town, or off board previously spent currency pile?

b. when you receive them are they worth 1.)3x visits at the tool hut, or are they the normal 3x pips (1 time use) as usual
b1. if they are worth 3x tool visits, would u be able to place it on a free normal tippable tool spot as a 3 pip reusable , or add it to an existing 1 lvl tippable tool to make a lvl 4 reusable?
b2. if they are worth a normal disposable 3 pip modifier, do you discard them back to the tool shed in town, or do they go to the spent currency pile?

c.I was curious if this is how the mechanic is supposed to work?
:You will need to buy a civ card while the Elders is on the town center. Then pay for that civ card with a reusable lvl 3 pip modifier to pay 3 "elders currency". Would this then present an option to pick up "a card rewarded" +2, +3, or +4 single use tool, to be used as clarified above (b1 or b2)?

Thanks for clarifying, and GREAT WORK on the solo mods, i also just picked up Carcassonne and plan on doing the puzzle variant that is posted here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImSoPuzzled wrote:
1. For the purpose of having an easier overall view of what ,multiplier guys, or liquid asset food is in your deck. Do you think it matters if you take the 13 civ cards, and the 2 x 5 stacks of buildings remaining after first deal, and deal them into ordered rows. Then when you need to replace a purchased card or building just pull from the next in line. This doesn't seem to be game breaking as the cards in the deck are known and can be looked at, at any time.
Answer#1: I am not sure what you are asking here. Are you saying to lay out the cards/tiles faceup? so that you can see what is coming down next? Will the cards still slide to the right? (They should) I do not have my rules handy right now and can review them later to hopefully fill in my gap of understanding.

ImSoPuzzled wrote:
2.) Some confusion on the 2x 3x and 4x tool rewards,
a. are these paid from the stacks in town, or off board previously spent currency pile?

b. when you receive them are they worth 1.)3x visits at the tool hut, or are they the normal 3x pips (1 time use) as usual
b1. if they are worth 3x tool visits, would u be able to place it on a free normal tippable tool spot as a 3 pip reusable , or add it to an existing 1 lvl tippable tool to make a lvl 4 reusable?
b2. if they are worth a normal disposable 3 pip modifier, do you discard them back to the tool shed in town, or do they go to the spent currency pile?
Answer#2: The "tool rewards" from the cards are 1 time use tools to add to a current roll. You do not take a tool chit to indicate this just keep the card face up until it has been used. They cannot be used for any other function which should answer your question #3.

ImSoPuzzled wrote:
c.I was curious if this is how the mechanic is supposed to work?
:You will need to buy a civ card while the Elders is on the town center. Then pay for that civ card with a reusable lvl 3 pip modifier to pay 3 "elders currency". Would this then present an option to pick up "a card rewarded" +2, +3, or +4 single use tool, to be used as clarified above (b1 or b2)?
Answer#3: See my note for the previous question. Additionally, only the food track and a tool chit can be used to purchase cards and since the bonus "tool" is a card it is not a chit to be spent.

Let me know if you need further assistance on this variant and welcome to solo gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Name
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick answers!!

All ready to play with that clarification.

When i was talking about laying cards out, yes they do slide and you bring the new one in from the deck, or you discard the 2 resource one per instructions.

Being that you can look thru either of the building pile, and the civ piles at any time, I just choose to lay them into rows and remember their proper deal order in the row. The 2 building stacks start with 2 columns of 5 after 2 are dealt to bidding slots on board, the 13 remaining civs cards usually go 2 rows of 4 plus a 5 row.

It just allows for an easier overview of what multiplying guys, food tile, resource, etc may be in your game specific deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, what am I missing here?

The Capacity Limitation states that you cannot possess more of one type of resource than the number of people in your tribe.

Then an example is listed stating a player already owns 4 wood and 5 people, therefore he can only add one more wood to his supply. Then it states "This will also apply to food collection."

If you can never possess more than 10 food with 10 people, what is the purpose of adding food to the Hunting Ground during set up? There is already 10 food in the game that gets recycled throughout (unlike the other one-time use resources).

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
Okay, what am I missing here?

The Capacity Limitation states that you cannot possess more of one type of resource than the number of people in your tribe.

Then an example is listed stating a player already owns 4 wood and 5 people, therefore he can only add one more wood to his supply. Then it states "This will also apply to food collection."

If you can never possess more than 10 food with 10 people, what is the purpose of adding food to the Hunting Ground during set up? There is already 10 food in the game that gets recycled throughout (unlike the other one-time use resources).

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

:(
You can have more food than the number of tribesman but at a cost. The resource to tribesman limitation applies only to wood, brick, stone and gold not food. At times having the extra food can be a big help especially when it comes to gett ing cards. Let me know if you need further assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
GameRulesforOne wrote:
The resource to tribesman limitation applies only to wood, brick, stone and gold not food.
That's where I was confused. In the over-collection section of the rules, there is a penalty for acquiring too much of a resource compared to the number of tribesmen you have. And it states "This will also apply to food collection." That sentence isn't correct then. I can collect as much food as I want (up to the initial starting quantity during set up).

Thanks for the clarification!

Love your variants! Currently, the one for San Juan is driving me crazy right now. I have only broken the minimum score once so far out of nine attempts.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
GameRulesforOne wrote:
The resource to tribesman limitation applies only to wood, brick, stone and gold not food.
That's where I was confused. In the over-collection section of the rules, there is a penalty for acquiring too much of a resource compared to the number of tribesmen you have. And it states "This will also apply to food collection." That sentence isn't correct then. I can collect as much food as I want (up to the initial starting quantity during set up).
To be clear, the penalty still applies for the over-collection.

You may already be saying that but I just wanted to be sure. The "also" sentence is referring to the penalty.

Enjoy the challenge(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
GameRulesforOne wrote:
To be clear, the penalty still applies for the over-collection.
Wow! I was being really dense there, wasn't I.

I think I finally got it. I appreciate your patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dug out this game (and this SoloPlay variant) after not playing it for a long time. After reading the SoloPlay rules again, I have a question:

Capacity limitation: The text says, "over-collection" is strictly roll based. If I understand the Q&A above, you are NOT allowed to over-collect wood, clay, stone, and gold. If your roll results in an over collection, you physically take enough resources to get you to your maximum allowable and deduct two points for each excess resource your roll would have allowed. However, you ARE allowed to over-collect food, but you get penalized for any excess. So, if I have 5 workers and 4 food, and I roll a 2, I could take 1 food for NO penalty. If I use a tool to convert the 2 to a 4, and I take 2 food, do I lose two points? In this case, the over-collection was NOT roll based. It was based on my use of a tool. The rules seem to say that only the roll itself can cause the penalty, but if you add tools to the roll, you can over-collect food with no penalty. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks again for so many great solo variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I just dug out this game (and this SoloPlay variant) after not playing it for a long time. After reading the SoloPlay rules again, I have a question:

Capacity limitation: The text says, "over-collection" is strictly roll based. If I understand the Q&A above, you are NOT allowed to over-collect wood, clay, stone, and gold. If your roll results in an over collection, you physically take enough resources to get you to your maximum allowable and deduct two points for each excess resource your roll would have allowed. However, you ARE allowed to over-collect food, but you get penalized for any excess. So, if I have 5 workers and 4 food, and I roll a 2, I could take 1 food for NO penalty. If I use a tool to convert the 2 to a 4, and I take 2 food, do I lose two points? In this case, the over-collection was NOT roll based. It was based on my use of a tool. The rules seem to say that only the roll itself can cause the penalty, but if you add tools to the roll, you can over-collect food with no penalty. Am I interpreting this correctly?

The use of tools will also bring on the penalty because you are affecting the resource roll. Maybe splitting hairs here but that was the intention with overcollection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameRulesforOne wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

The use of tools will also bring on the penalty because you are affecting the resource roll. Maybe splitting hairs here but that was the intention with overcollection.

Thanks for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question about capacity limits: do you get the penalty even if there aren't enough resources to take? For example, assume you have 5 workers and 4 wood. Also assume there is only 1 wood remaining in the forest. If your roll is high enough to take 2 wood, would you get penalized for the full roll or is the penalty limited to the number of wood actually available? In this case, there is only 1 wood available, which would bring you to your limit of 5. Thanks again. I promise I'll shut up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
One more question about capacity limits: do you get the penalty even if there aren't enough resources to take? For example, assume you have 5 workers and 4 wood. Also assume there is only 1 wood remaining in the forest. If your roll is high enough to take 2 wood, would you get penalized for the full roll or is the penalty limited to the number of wood actually available? In this case, there is only 1 wood available, which would bring you to your limit of 5. Thanks again. I promise I'll shut up now.
The penalty is only for the overcollected amount which you can't choose to reduce. So in your example you would be penalized for 1 overcollected wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter

California
msg tools
Just curious SoloPlayGames, are there any other games that you would
refer to as "positional strategy?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UioLi wrote:
Just curious SoloPlayGames, are there any other games that you would refer to as "positional strategy?"
Can you elaborate a little more on your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harrington
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - just found this solo variant and have enjoyed it greatly this week.

Question about Tools, and acquiring them:

1st tool: take it, put on board, value 1.
2nd tool: flip value 1 tool to value 2, take new tool at value 1.
3rd tool: flip the value 1 tool on board to 2 (now two 2's on my board), add the third tool (valued at 1).

Now, 4th tool: confused! turn the 1 on my board to a 2, grab a 3 tool, get rid of one of my 2's, giving me one 3 and two 2's?

I'll ask the next (inevitable) question, when I find out how I handle the 4th tool. Thanks for helping me out. This is very intriguing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwharr wrote:
Thanks - just found this solo variant and have enjoyed it greatly this week.

Question about Tools, and acquiring them:

1st tool: take it, put on board, value 1.
2nd tool: flip value 1 tool to value 2, take new tool at value 1.
3rd tool: flip the value 1 tool on board to 2 (now two 2's on my board), add the third tool (valued at 1).

Now, 4th tool: confused! turn the 1 on my board to a 2, grab a 3 tool, get rid of one of my 2's, giving me one 3 and two 2's?

I'll ask the next (inevitable) question, when I find out how I handle the 4th tool. Thanks for helping me out. This is very intriguing for me.
You will acquire tools just as you do in the normal game with a slightly modified decision to make.
1st tool maker: gain the "1" tool
2nd tool maker: you flip the "1" tool to the "2" side
3rd tool maker: you can return the 1/2 tile and take a 3/4 tile(3 side up) or keep the 2 tool taking a 1/2 tool (1 side up of course)
4th tool maker: depending on what you did previously you will have even more options: flipping a 3 to a 4, keeping a 3 and taking a 1, keeping a 2 and flipping a 1 to a 2 etc.

There is an end of game penalty for tools that remain so depending on your approach to your game this decision can be important.

So in your example if you have been upgrading the same tool from 1 to 2 to 3 and you get a fourth you can turn the 3 over or retrieve a 1 to make your 4th tool.

Let me know if this answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |