GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,240 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The First World War» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rough Fronts; First Game Impulse; rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Modify by +1 defense die roll in Fronts 4,5,6, and 10. (Reason -- Front 4 is the Nancy-Alsace border region, with the roughest terrain on the Western Front. Fronts 5 & 6 are in the Italian/Austrian Alps, and Front 10 is in rugged Yugoslavia.

EDIT: Rough terrain (Carpathian Mountains) should also add +1 to the defense die roll when an attack is made between Krakow and Budapest of Front 9, or, when an attack is made between Bucharest and Hermannstadt on Front 11.

On the first Impulse of the game, the Belgian Army must be the defender if Germany attacks on Front 1. (Reason: Belgium was neutral, defending its own territory, and not well coordinated with the other Western Allies.)

(EDIT) OR

Belgian Neutrality. Belgium (Antwerp and Brussels) begins the game neutral. The Belgian Army begins the game in Antwerp and may not move or participate in an attack until either Germany or the Western Allies violate Belgian neutrality by attacking either Brussels or Antwerp, On the first Round Belgium is violated, if Antwerp is attacked, the Belgian Army leads the defense of Antwerp, regardless of the presence of other Armies participating in the defense.

Neither the Western Allies nor Germany may ever Deploy in neutral Belgium (Antwerp or Brussels). British Armies may not move or participate in any attack until Germany violates Belgian neutrality, or a French City or falls to Germany, or Turn 3, whichever comes first. Until then, British Armies may only Deploy on the Allied Bases of Front 1 and Front 2,

If the Germans violate Belgium on the First Round of 1914-1, Germany may attack both Brussels and Antwerp simultaneously.

If the Allies violate Belgian neutrality and the Belgian Army is not destroyed by the Allied attack it is removed anyway and Germany receives a free extra Replacement Army at the end of the turn in the Replacement Phase. If the Allies violate Belgium neither the Allies nor the Central Powers may replace the Belgian army. If the Germans violate Belgian neutrality the Belgian Army becomes an Allied Army and may be replaced normally.

Allied Capture of neutral Belgian Cities does not add to Allied Victory Points. German capture of neutral Belgian Cities adds to German and subtracts from Allied Victory Points.

(COMMENT: to plug a hole in the British Blockade and to help Russia, the Allies themselves would eventually have invaded neutral Belgium if Germany had not done so first.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nolan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the posts! I plan to try these next time around.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, please tell us how it works in practise. Does it change the balance of the game? Play time? Anything else?

Fredrik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The additional defensive advanatges make sense in geographical terms, but I fear they would unbalance the game as a four player. They might work in a two player although for the reasons below I think all the advantages gained go to the allies not the central powers.

Fronts 5 and 6 are already (in our games) the least active, and with only 1 strength armies there for much of the time a +1 on defence would make them non viable attacking options.It would have the effect of protecting the Italians, who are vulnerable in the midgame. Front 4 would be able to be defended by a single French unit, leaving them with more for the rest and further disadvantaging the Germans (I am assuming the French aim is to survive 1914 and 1915, and win it late).

Front 10 is the only chance the Austrians realistically have to win the game in a four player. An advance there and a lucky surrender roll in turns 1 or 2 often gives them victory. Diminish that chance and they really are just cannon fodder and in a four player game an 'unplayable misery burden'.

The Belgian army idea is right from a historical point of view, and I agree the gallant little Belgians should be sacrificed to the Hun for theme and flavour purposes, but in game terms it just gives the Germans a free hit in turn 1, and that is the only front that the western allies can realistically hope to get a surrender point out of in the early game.

Sorry to be so negative. They might all work brilliantly, and the game would still play well with them, but I think they will upset balance in the four player version.

thanks,

HP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not being negative Mr. Posner, you're being constructively critical. I know the difference and appreciate good criticism from an experienced player.

AMENDED ROUGH TERRAIN VARIANT:
1. Remove from the at start deployment the Army of Montenegro. (Montenegro had a small corps, not an Army.) It may enter play by paying an Eastern Allies Replacement point if the Allies control Sarajevo. (Liberating the Serbs of Bosnia and Croatia makes more manpower available.)

2. On Fronts 5 and 6, the Rough Terrain benefits the Central Powers, only. (They had the high ground.)

3. One Round per year, when the Western Allies Faction attacks in the Western Theater, it may make a simultaneous attack in the Italian Theater, The free simultaneous attack in the Italian Theater may be made only if the attack is all-Italian. (This puts Italy in play.)

(SEE PROPOSED BELGIAN NEUTRALITY VARIANT IN ORIGINAL POST ABOVE).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
The RallyBird Baseball board game
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:

Belgian Neutrality. Belgium (Antwerp and Brussels) begins the game neutral. ...

Notwithstanding Mr. Posner's constructive reservations about the rule, I can imagine this Belgian Neutrality variant (regarding Fronts 1 and part of 2 on the map) working well in theme with your other variant, Schieffen / Counter Schlieffen.

Quote:
If either side controls every City on Front 1, it may add +1 to its attacks on Front 2.

If either side controls every City on Fronts 1 & 2, it may add +1 to its attacks on Front 3.

If either side controls every City on Fronts 1, 2, & 3, it may add +1 to its attacks on Front 4.

(As an old World War One gamer, it bugs me that the status of Front 1 has no bearing on the status of Front 2, etc.)

EDIT: By parity of reasoning, control of every city on Front 5 adds +1 to attacks on Front 6.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/401499/schlieffen-counter-sc...

The good theme feeling I get from reading these variants is the great strategic scale flank sweep, the threat of envelopment.

In addition, combining the two variants give the players extra motivation for violating poor Belgium--higher stakes.

Thanks by the way for posting your variants! It will take sessions for me to know how well they work, but I'm interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.