GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: I PROGRAMMATED! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm making an RPG and I love to see the stats to all the die results/attacks/whatever to see how different bonuses affect success. Well despite nearly going into a 5 years BS(physics)/Masters in CS program freshman year, I haven't done an ounce of programming in college since. But like riding a bike, I was cursing at code all day and now it works and I can make it do things and I am just so excited!

I was also reminded why I did not accept that Masters in CS program freshman year yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Details man, details!!

What language did you use? Any cool tools?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh right, sorry. Honestly, I'd be a bit embarrassed to share the program itself, and it really is a stupid little thing. It just finds probabilities for rolling different kinds of dice needing different values for success, and lays out the probability for the range of results (either "side" winning by how much).

I went with Java just because I had an old bookmark to JCreator. I didn't use any cool tools but I think I'm gonna grab my old textbook and start going over it again. I forgot, as much as I would never want to do anything involving programming for a living, how fun it can be to mess around with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
as much as I would never want to do anything involving programming for a living, how fun it can be to mess around with.

It is more fun messing around than doing it for a living.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikku wrote:
BagpipeDan wrote:
as much as I would never want to do anything involving programming for a living, how fun it can be to mess around with.

It is more fun messing around than doing it for a living.
Ssshhhhh!!! Don't tell anybody, but I program for a living, and it's still a lot of fun for me. My boss is under the assumption that they need to pay me to do this, but I'd probably be doing it anyway if they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I wish that I programmed stuff... after all, my job title is Software Engineer... soblue

I've been stuck doing the job of Web Designer/Graphic Artist for the past month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I program for a living and it is really fun.....the 6 or 8 weeks out of the year that I am actually programming. The rest of the time is filled with worthless meetings and documentation and process and screwing off for weeks at a time while other people get their parts of the project done that I could have done in a day or two. Oh, and don't think I could go tell someone that I could get it done in a day or two. They don't want to hear it. We're on contract and it's Time & Materials and we bid that it would take X amount of time and by god that's how long it is going to take so that we can get the full amount that we were awarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aw, I didn't mean to disparage programming, and I would rather do programming rather than work in another physics lab, it's just super frustrating. Like a puzzle that curses at you and knows your darkest secrets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it legal to programmate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.