GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42» Forums » Rules

Subject: How is Petrov "captured"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Firefight 3 refers to the possibility of capturing an enemy unit, who represents General Petrov.

There is no concept of "capturing" an enemy unit anywhere in the rules that I have been able to find. Nor in the FAQs. There does not appear to be any scenario special rule describing how this would occur.

Am I to assume that merely entering the hex with the unit representing Petrov causes his capture to occur (that is, that there is a special, unwritten rule effecting only this unit)? Does the unit get a chance to fight back with close combat?

I would like to know if I have missed something. Or if I haven't missed something, how people arrived at the conclusions they did about what house rule to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as the unit representing Petrov is not the wounded general alone but also a group of infantry defending him, I'd say Petrov is captured if this unit is destroyed and a German unit moves into the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm...but the scenario makes a distinction between "killing" Petrov and "capturing" Petrov.

In the scenario you described, how do I say that I have captured rather than killed Petrov?

If eliminating the unit in question doesn't kill Petrov, is there any set of circumstances in which Petrov could be said to have been killed rather than captured?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entering the hex with the unit not destroyed represents "capturing" the unit. There are no rules around capturing, and none necessary as "capturing" the unit in this firefight immediately ends the game as per the firefight-specific text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
James is right, and it's in the firefight's special rules for future reference.

My question is what if you have TWO units in the building hex (the general's unit and another unit)? By the rules, you'd expect to be able to capture as soon as a German unit occupies the same square. Yet, it makes sense to me that if you've committed more units to defense, it should be harder to capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
By the rules, you'd expect to be able to capture as soon as a German unit occupies the same square.

Correct, you still capture as soon as you enter the hex. The extra Russian unit did not do its job if it let the Germans into the hex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefight 3, German Orders wrote:

Any unit that moves into the same hex as the Soviet General's infantry squad immediately captures him without a fight. The game ends immediately if the general is killed or captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Felkor wrote:
oeolycus wrote:
By the rules, you'd expect to be able to capture as soon as a German unit occupies the same square.

Correct, you still capture as soon as you enter the hex. The extra Russian unit did not do its job if it let the Germans into the hex!
Right, but does it make sense that a small LMG crew could capture the general if I've stacked all my units in there with him? 2-3 vs 25 is an auto win for the smaller number?

I bet the rule is there so that I am dissuaded from doing that and will engage the Germans in map 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
Right, but does it make sense that a small LMG crew could capture the general if I've stacked all my units in there with him? 2-3 vs 25 is an auto win for the smaller number?

I bet the rule is there so that I am dissuaded from doing that and will engage the Germans in map 3.

It wouldn't be worth playing if stacking everything in the hex was viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
does it make sense that a small LMG crew could capture the general if I've stacked all my units in there with him?

Fortunately, it's only a game.

If it were an exact simulation, one might also start asking why the attackers know where he can be from the start, why he stays in the house if the German mortars start shelling it from a great distance, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
Felkor wrote:
oeolycus wrote:

I have a feeling if you stacked all your units there, you wouldn't do very well, even if it made capture impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
oeolycus wrote:
Felkor wrote:
oeolycus wrote:

I have a feeling if you stacked all your units there, you wouldn't do very well, even if it made capture impossible. :)

Rolling 11 times every time your mortar fired would be a blast though. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artur zanon
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
my question,

Can the counter Petrov atack other units in close combat, or can it fire? I see by your answers that it can not do close combat, how about firing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arturbcn wrote:
my question,

Can the counter Petrov atack other units in close combat, or can it fire? I see by your answers that it can not do close combat, how about firing?

It can fire like a normal SMG. But it is not allowed to move (just pivot.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.