GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Close Action: The Age of Fighting Sail Vol. 1» Forums » General

Subject: First Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got my first game in tonight, and while I don't have enough for a full session report, I figured I would throw my thoughts out there.

The battle was a French 40 versus a British 32 with morale at the highest for both. The scenario was a self designed. We played without using the anchoring rules and with a wind state of 3 and a flat sea state. We also did not play with critical hits. The goal was to simplify the game enough to get movement and gunfire down. The French started with the wind gauge. That reminds me, I also didn't include the rules regarding the blocking of the wind. The absence of those rules were a negligent oversight on my part as was the necessity of reducing speed as rigging sections were knocked down. We were playing with the original log sheets, which don't state the reduced rigging speeds, so that was not entirely on purpose.

Both ships started off moving to close, with the British on a close haul tack and the French on a broad reach. As we got closer, we both transitioned to fighting sail. The British (me) chickened out and turned away from the French to keep the distance. This led to both players wasting their initial broadside bonuses on long range shots that didn't really cause much damage. The game then devolved into a running maneuver battle as both of us tried to get rake bonuses on the other. At one point the French rammed the British ship losing two rigging boxes in the process but not becoming fouled. At that point, the British player should have attempted a grapple with the French ship to continue pouring bow rakes into it. Instead, I just sailed off, resuming the maneuver battle.

The battle ended with the British striking after becoming dismasted.

Of my multiple reactions two stand out. First, even though we simplified the rules a little, we didn't simplify them that much. That said, the game is still shockingly easy to play for the level of realism it provides. That is just amazing to me. Secondly, crew quality seems hugely important. As the British with a crew quality gunnery modifier of 6 for almost the whole game, I was able to stay toe to toe with the heavier French ship for a large part of the game.

Overall a great and fantastic game. I look forward to incorporating the elements I purposefully or negligently left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Navy!

I think that's CA's "surprise," that it's really not that hard to play!

If I recall, there are MP boxes next to each rigging section; when you lose a rigging section, during the maintenance phase, you take the new numbers off the red sheet.

May I encourage you to play with Critical Hits as soon as possible. They are pretty important and can really throw a wrench in the works. Usually they aren't too bad but if you get a mast falling or a rudder destroyed or a fire starts-- it can be a real mess!

Crew quality IS important. The superior crew quality of the British represents their superior seamanship and superior gunnery skill. Just wait 'til you start failing morale checks!

The fun thing about CA is that you can throw caution to the wind and fight aggressively!

Here's one more thing:

Yahoo has a great Close_Action Group here: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Close_Action/

In the files section you can find a couple of officially updated charts.

If you Geekmail me with your real email, I'll send you a ship log that is better to use.

Glad you had fun! It's a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have Rebel Seas, and the updated movement chart and ship logs are in the back of it. I have even photo copied them. I just didn't use them because I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Oops.

I hope to work in critical hits and boarding soon, maybe the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory for the La Crêpe! I had a blast even if we did leave out all of that stuff, I look forward to delving deeper into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.