GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger» Forums » General

Subject: Sam = one big, fat liability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else notice this? You pick Sam thinking that big belly will absorb untold amounts of damage yet, he is easilly the first target for the zombies best effects. All too often he is 'Bitten' in his first fight, turns in his 2nd fight, and now you have the strongest possible zombie hero to deal with.

So who's with me? Leave Sam behind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol...

Yes, the big boy is often picked only to die as the one who picked him is overconfident. It kind of builds up overconfidence when you look at his 4 wounds and ability to cancel fight cards. However, as many other heroes he is also very very good if you know how to build him up and use him.

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon c.
msg tools

My strategy is, if choosing heroes: Always pick Sam!

Otherwise, when "No, it can't be!" shows up (which could be the first turn!), you get a zombified diner cook coming at you anyway. If you pick him first, at least you get a chance to do some brawling and put him to good use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Die, Zombies, Die with advanced rules and Growing Hunger and i got Sam. The guy is a tank if played. Sam won the day taking on a space with 5 zombies armed with garden shears and having Faith played on him. Completely destroyed them and cancelled a fight card as well! Brutal! Admittedly zombie player wasn't a gamer but still a good character when loaded up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think Sam is pretty good. If the zombies want to go after him, the heroes should be in favor of it since it will take the zombies a while to finish him off and he may burn through several of their fight cards in the process. It's true that "Bitten" and "I Feel Strange" are particularly effective against him, that's the only counter to him the zombies really have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I got Sam, I searched, and found the shotgun. The zombies were spawning from the manor house, and Sam killed two in the first round. In the nest round, the zombies played the card that allows them to discard the top 10 cards from the Hero Deck (can't remember the name), and in these were the meat cleaver, which Sam picked up next round (because he hadn't left the diner yet).

The zombie player tried to run from Sam the rest of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.