GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like fantasy adventure games. I have Talisman, Runebound, and Prophecy...each of them scratches a different itch for me.

Talisman works well with more people and my group is able to tear through it quickly. Its silly and is played just for a night where we don't feel like thinking much. The player interaction is reasonably high which keeps everyone involved.

Runebound is my go to game for solo fantasy stuff. I enjoy the encounters, the artwork and deeper mechanics involved. I also really enjoy the way your character progresses. If this game was shorter for a group of 3-4 it would be perfect.

My question is do I really need WOW: TAG? I like the idea of performing quests and I've always been a big fan of the Warcraft universe. How long would a game with 3 people last? Is 90 minutes possible? Also how is the character development? Are the character expansions worth the money (do they add anything besides an extra character)? Is there any player interaction or is multiplayer solitaire? Finally, how complicated are the rules, combat etc...would non-gamers have a problem with it?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should take a look at Epic Dungeoneer: Call of the Lich Lord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I second all of these questions.

I am looking for a "roll and move" game that I can play with my gamer wife and some non-gamer friends. I bought A Touch of Evil for that reason but found it lacking, and I am now looking for something similar (but better).

Also, from the pictures I have seen it looks like monster images are lifted straight from the computer game. The computer game's 3D models are fine, but for card art I was hoping for something better.

Do the cards look a bit... cheesy, or do they actually look pretty good?

Thanks (and apologies for highjacking the thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't have much interest in Dungeoneer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own WOW:tag and the 4 expansion characters and the group I play with enjoy it. We also play Runebound and many others. Most of the games we play take a bit of pre-planning and sortof deeper thought to play, not to mention time. WOW:tag is a lighter Runebound where the class cards are the driving mechanic. It doesn't require the depth of thought that other games do. It CAN play a bit faster, but it also can bog down about yellow level (equal to level 3 of 4) due to the board design. The way around it is, you don't HAVE to reach red (4th) level to win, but many quests do require it. PvP doesn't hit it's stride unless you own the expansion characters, but you CAN have PvP fun. And if you want a shorter game, just lower the requirement for the points you need to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I personally enjoy WOW:TAG, most of the people I've played it have not had a good time.

Quote:
My question is do I really need WOW: TAG?

I'd suggest a play before you pay, if you can find someone with a copy. The rulebook is available on the FFG website, so you can always at least read that first.

Quote:
I like the idea of performing quests and I've always been a big fan of the Warcraft universe. How long would a game with 3 people last? Is 90 minutes possible?

It can vary rather dramatically. I've played a 2-player game that lasted about 45 minutes, but seen a 3-player game go for 3 hours.

Quote:
Also how is the character development?

Characters advance levels rather quickly by defeating set encounters on the map. When you level, you gain upgrades to existing abilities and equipment, plus your stats improve.

Quote:
Are the character expansions worth the money (do they add anything besides an extra character)?

I really like the Rogue and the Shaman. I think they are worthwhile if you enjoy the base game because they play very differently.

Quote:
Is there any player interaction or is multiplayer solitaire?

There are plenty of reasons to hunt down other players. Many of the quests are based on player interaction. While some of the players enjoyed the PVP aspect of many of the quests, others were turned off and did not attempt to fighter other players.

Quote:
Finally, how complicated are the rules, combat etc...would non-gamers have a problem with it?

The rules are fairly easy to digest, once you get through the rulebook. New players usually get up to speed pretty quickly. I wouldn't personally suggest it for non-gamers. It's a longer game and there are a lot of little bits to manipulate. Casual gamers should be fine with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if is relevant for your group, but I posted a generally positive review of the WoW Board game (here) and a generally negative review of the WoW Adventure game (here).

These reviews were based on playing with my kids, and they love fantasy adventure games. They loved the Board game and didn't enjoy the Adventure game at all. That had me really wondering why, so I did a little analysis of the two games (here).

Hope they are helpful to you. The analysis piece may help answer your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
Not sure if is relevant for your group, but I posted a generally positive review of the WoW Board game (here) and a generally negative review of the WoW Adventure game (here).

These reviews were based on playing with my kids, and they love fantasy adventure games. They loved the Board game and didn't enjoy the Adventure game at all. That had me really wondering why, so I did a little analysis of the two games (here).

Hope they are helpful to you. The analysis piece may help answer your questions.

Thank you for that...certainly a good read. I have to admit that I'm not interested in the beast that is WoW: TbG...too long for my group.

My main concern with picking up WoW: TAG is how unique of an experience is it compared to the games I already own? Do the character specific abilities make playing each character fun and unique?

We like Talisman because the game changes based on which character you are dealt. The Wizard will have a different experience and tactics compared to what the Assassin goes through. Plus in general Talisman always weaves a fun story for everybody.

I like Runebound because you can boost specific stats on your character. Plus outfitting your character with items rounds out the experience.

Basically, I'm curious how the feel of leveling and experience is handled. Does the Orc Warrior feel differnent than the Human Warlock? Do you feel like you've advanced by the end of the game? Does the Warrior feel unstoppable in combat, with shiny new equipment and better stats? Do the abilities add anything or are they fluff to the experience?

Also how are the quests actually handled? Can someone give an example of how a quest works from start to finish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The characters are very unique in WoW:TAG. The assasin plays very differently from the warrior and the warlock very differently from the assasin. Plus you will get different equipment and loot each game.

There are four levels to the game. You have to level up to reach the higher level areas. The abilities of the characters are more important than for some classes than others.

I would say the warlock must keep her hand full of offensive spell cards to kill effectively Whereas the warrior just needs a good weapon and armor. One of the downsides is the warrior will always take damage in combat if he is hit whereas the warlock is ranged and will kill the monster without taking dmg unless that monster has a ranged attack.(more monsters are close combat rather than ranged)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
WoW:tAG is a game I own and have played recently with the four expansion characters. At the same time, I am neither a raving fan nor a detractor. I think it is OK+ and will try to elaborate why, along with answering your questions.

Instead of reading the rules, have a look at Universal Head's summary/play aid here:

http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/WoWAG_v1.pdf

It is a roll-and-move, albeit a snazzy one. Each turn is about the same:
1. Move based on a die roll - the less you move the more energy you have.
Energy can be used to activate your skill cards. These vary from character to character, so each deck is different, but there appears to be a mix of fairly generic cards +1 attack, +1 defense, and special cards to rogues (stealing), spells, etc. The cards are activated in particular phases of the turn, but they all use energy from the die (and other cards). Skill cards that affect movement are used here.

2. Explore - This is often taking a beneficial action according to the icons on the space you land on. There are discovery tokens that can be good or bad and are placed on spaces over the course of the game.

3. Combat - This phase is revealing a card (not a skill card) of the color of the space you are on. There are three basic flavors of these cards: global event, local event, and combat encounter. The first two are places on the board at the relevant spot and govern either global events or things on the spot indicated on the card.

Combat itself is quite basic - The player and the character on the card fight each other, range hits first (weapon strength + die roll >= defense = hit). Then melee. Skill cards that affect combat are used in this phase.

4. Management - leveling up, hand check, etc.

The Quests are not as central as in Return of the Heroes, but are there to help you get the point to put you over the top without the game being solely about combat. They are quite varied, such as go to X and take the token you get there to Y.

The game is fairly schematic in that you don't feel you are that character in a very immersive way. This is my main complaint. I wish I cared more about my character, but PvP is built in as a way to slow the leader and frankly, sometimes it is strategically beneficial to die. The map is a set of paths, not hexes, so there are often not that many choices for movement. Yes, your character's stats improve as you level up, but your skills don't change wildly. The primary benefit of leveling up is getting better items (every time you win a combat, you get the item on the flip side of the card) and getting you closer to the red quests that you often need to get the final VPs to win the game.

As you close in on that level, the other players start to beat you up to slow you down. I'll admit that I prefer it as a race game, but it was not designed that way. In addition, the different expansion (and base) characters have different skill sets, so some are bashers and some are more PvP-types or more defensive or more healing. I don't play WoW, so that might be part of the problem.

This is not meant to be exhaustive, but to address some of the questions you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Runebound and WoW:TAG. I wouldn't bother with WoW:TAG. The game board is far inferior, they could have gone with a detailed map, but instead all you see details is POIs. I would have much preferred the hex grid like Runebound has over a detailed map.

The quests are mostly pointless. They can be skipped entirely, which makes the game a race to the highest level, they defeat one of the "bosses" to win the game.

Combat is slow and involves a lot of luck. You roll 1d6, add to your attack value, exceed the enemy's and he is defeated, as they only have 1 "health". You also only get one attack round during your turn. So if you know you need a 5 or 6 to win, you might be playing a few rounds - switching with other players in between rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy Runebound more thant WoW:TAG... WoW isn't a bad game, but if you have played Runebound it seems like you get spoiled with Runebound and would rather play it.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Part of the game design of WoW:tAG is the speed of the game. The good part is that it is quite rare that a turn takes more than 45-60 seconds. The bad part is that most of the turns feel the same as those that came before them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW:tag is the poor man's Runebound. Take from that what you may.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My main concern with picking up WoW: TAG is how unique of an experience is it compared to the games I already own? Do the character specific abilities make playing each character fun and unique?

Having owned and played all of these games at some time or another, here's my two cents:

For your first question (uniqueness), I would say WoW:tAG is not really much different than the games you have. In fact, you could say that it's a mish-mash of concepts from Talisman, Runebound, and Prophecy, but set in the Warcraft universe. I don't play WoW online, so I'm not influenced by that one way or the other, but I love all these types of games.

That said, after a few fun initial plays, I'm finding WoW:tAG is not really that great, and objectively I can't say it's better than the games you have. In fact, having neglected Prophecy, Tomb, and WoW:TBG for awhile in favor of the Adventure game, I'm actually itching to play all those other games again. That must say something.

But regarding your second question (characters unique from each other), yes, I do find each character plays very differently, and that's a big plus. In that respect, I like it better than Prophecy, or even Runebound, where the characters just didn't seem differentiated enough (IMHO). This is also an incentive to get some expansions, as I find the expansion characters even more individualized.

Also, in case no one's said this yet, the expansions come with more encounters (creatures, loot and stuff) so you do get more than just another hero.

Finally - I'm one of those weirdos that didn't really dig Runebound (but only played the base game) and I really really like WoW: TBG, so, you probably shouldn't listen to anything I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
There is a second wave of expansion characters coming soon.

Also, if you have not tried it, check out Return of the Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Return of the Heroes is a great game, you should look into that. I just got the two German expansions and can't wait to try them out...

I think I'd have to go with RuneBound though as my fav. out of them all...

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the replies (especially the post by Mr. Skeletor).

As a former World of Warcraft player I have quite a bit of interest in the Adventure game. It doesn't seem to be the best fantasy adventure game, but it still looks like something I should pick up. I like the quests, the familiar Warcraft setting, the unique character decks and shorter playing time.

I might not order it tonight, but its something that is certainly on my radar. I have a funny feeling that its something my group will probably end up really enjoying. The focus on PvP and player interaction as a whole makes most longer games more enjoyable for my group.

Also I would like to note that I already have Return of the Heroes...I have yet to play it. That is certainly something that needs to happen before I order a new fantasy adventure game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son is a WoW player (online game) and I have been playing it with him and having a lot of fun... It is neat to do things with him in that online world... with that being said, if you are a fan of the online game, then you will certainly like how the WoW: TAG has a familiar feel to it, the places, monsters, quests, etc., all 'feel' like the online game in a board game setting... so that will add a few bonus points to it for you for sure.

Have fun!
D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
My oldest son is a WoW player (online game) and I have been playing it with him and having a lot of fun... It is neat to do things with him in that online world... with that being said, if you are a fan of the online game, then you will certainly like how the WoW: TAG has a familiar feel to it, the places, monsters, quests, etc., all 'feel' like the online game in a board game setting... so that will add a few bonus points to it for you for sure.

Have fun!
D.

The online game is certainly fun. Blizzard has done a superb job crafting a world that is very fun just to explore. The latest release (Wrath of the Lich King) has me eager to play it again.

Mr. Skeletor - I would love to get WOW: TbG. Someday I certainly will. I think I'll pick it up and wait until my girlfriend drags me to some boring concert or movie. Then I'll break out that game and lovingly tell her that, "she owes me one".devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late here but I'll throw in my rankings of the adventure games:

Return Of The Heroes
World Of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

[gap]

Dungeoneer
Runebound
Talisman 4th edition

I find the first two significantly more fun that the last three and basically the difference is game length. The game has to be VERY good to warrant a 3 hour playing time and this kind of game - questing/fighting/leveling - just cannot maintain the interest for me over that time.

Dungeoneer is shorter but its pretty tedious - it just seems that its taking forever.

I just can't get excited about Runebound - its the most processional of the games and the slabs of 'story text' are frankly dull. In addition, the most innovative part of the game is regarding movement rather than combat. I really could not care less about movement: each character can move X spaces where X is their 'speed' or whatever - that system is just fine. The excitement in the game should not be around if you rolled a 'mountains' on your movement dice ... ho hum. The excitement should be in the combat, which I admit none of the games do well, but at least WOWTAG has the character decks which add some fun and decision making to combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of what made the WoW BG combat so much better than the adventure game combat was that it would occur, and then end. There was no "well you have to fight them next turn thanks to that unlucky roll I guess!" delay. In the AG, ranged characters have a tough time killing mobs because they cannot, by default, reroll. This means lots of sitting on one's butt and doing nothing while melee characters kill Overlords. *snore* So my gaming group and I implemented a house rule that had all ranged characters given one free reroll, and melee characters could reroll for the cost of an energy. The problem is that the pally kinda gets shanked, as his uber ability was reroll (Sanctity Aura). -_-

Another issue is that no one uses ability cards on the AG mobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.