GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941» Forums » General

Subject: Just got KtR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow the package arrived today (finally!) and I have to say I'm very impressed with the production quality of the components...I mean I was blown away. Love the setup charts (like they were in Roads to Leningrad). To me KtR quality of production is right there at the top of the list shared with stuff like ASL VotG HASL or Beyond Valor 3rd edition.

Thanks GMT!!!

Now I hope AGS will hopefully get reprinted on day and I want my Stalingrad module as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the hideously slow pace that Army Group North is picking up reprint pre-orders, it's quite possible that it will be years before you see AGS even hit the reprint list, let alone make its numbers. However, Ebay may actually be your friend here for Army Group South as the prices seem to have dropped back down to the range of the $90 retail price for unpunched copies. (I know GMT lists it AGS's original MSRP as $60 on their website; but there were brand new copies still sitting at 2 different local shops within the last 8 months priced at either $90 or $99 [and neither shop discounts MSRP pricing, nor do they bump prices up once games go OOP, which is a bit of a plus].

The 2 recent (last 30 days) ebay sales were for unpunched copies--1 ziplock, 1 boxed--with final prices of ~$108. I sold a still-sealed AGS about 6 months ago for $115; so there's not been a lot of movement on those prices. Same story with Army Group North. Only AG Center [and perhaps Typhoon, though I haven't seen one of those come up for quite a while, so I don't know the trend there] will still cost you a mortgage payment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been told by the designer that fewer Army Group Center games were printed than AG South and AG North.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I've been told by the designer that fewer Army Group Center games were printed than AG South and AG North.

I appreciate that little nugget of info as I've always found it curious that AGC commands nearly 2.5-3x the price of the other 2 OOP "Army Group" titles. At the same time I listed that AGS mentioned in the previous post, I also listed an unpunched AGC with an opening bid of $75 or so and an "I can't imagine it'll sell at this price but what the hell" Buy It Now of $289 shipped--it wasn't up more than 9 hours before someone snapped it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:
I also listed an unpunched AGC with an opening bid of $75 or so and an "I can't imagine it'll sell at this price but what the hell" Buy It Now of $289 shipped--it wasn't up more than 9 hours before someone snapped it up.

Prices look to have gone up on AGC since KtR came out. The last one on eBay went for $320.

As for KtR, I agree - it's production values are spectactular. Not in a flashy, ooh-ahh way, but just very well thought-out and functional. I would go so far as to say it's the best-produced wargame I own. Not the prettiest, but the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me KtR shows how the Desktop publishing has improved over the last 8 years or so. I agree with Todd the Graphics in KtR are not flashy...but professional. Like the fact that there are 2 small scenarios and they both have their own maps. Those two small maps and all the charts are really of great quality, I have to say I like this kind of production quality.

One question: So the game has two small scenarios, how I plan to learn the game is to start with Scenario 1 and read the Tutorial in the Play Book. Also follow the Sequence of Play...any other suggestions guys?

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JG53_Jaguar wrote:
To me KtR shows how the Desktop publishing has improved over the last 8 years or so.

I'd hardly call it "desktop publishing." I don't know what GMT uses, but I believe MMP uses InDesign, which is a standard professional layout program. I'd have to think GMT uses something similar. I think it's more accurate to say that the niche of wargame publishers is finally starting to adopt the same tools that more mainstream publishers have been using for the last 10 years or so.

Quote:
Like the fact that there are 2 small scenarios and they both have their own maps.

Agreed. This is a really nice touch. For the materials cost of one double-sided color print ($1 maybe?) plus some design time, it lets a new owner get right to playing, rather than lay out maps, sort through various play aids, etc. I would love to see this become common practice.

Quote:
One question: So the game has two small scenarios, how I plan to learn the game is to start with Scenario 1 and read the Tutorial in the Play Book. Also follow the Sequence of Play...any other suggestions guys?

That's basically fine. Play the two little scenarios first. The Rostov one is pretty much straight combat with very little maneuver. The second one (Scenario 4, I think?) shows off the movement system and turn sequence a bit more. From there do Scenario 3 (Battle on the Sea of Azov), which is larger and uses a few more rules, but still steers clear of supply and replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've known Vance von Borries for almost 15 years. He's a hell of a nice guy. Richard Diem, his loyal play tester and proofreader, is my regular game opponent.

That said, that during the design process, Vance hand draws and colors his maps on blank hex sheets and draws his own counters. I've often made color copies of these hand drawn maps so he doesn't risk losing originals when he sends them to the GMT art department in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I've known Vance von Borries for almost 15 years. He's a hell of a nice guy. Richard Diem, his loyal play tester and proofreader, is my regular game opponent.

That said, that during the design process, Vance hand draws and colors his maps on blank hex sheets and draws his own counters. I've often made color copies of these hand drawn maps so he doesn't risk losing originals when he sends them to the GMT art department in the mail.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.