GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Galaxy Trucker: The Big Expansion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Bouncing around the galaxy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy has the non-Rio Grande version of Galaxy Trucker, which meant that there were a few inconsistencies when we dragged out "the Big Expansion" to use with it. Were the tiles of different shades? I couldn't tell.

What I could tell was that the cards for challenges were of different sizes! This was quite annoying. I'm sure that Randy has some sleeves around somewhere (I certainly do), but we couldn't be bothered finding them, so shuffling the cards and getting a mix was problematic. Eventually, I just dealt them into separate piles and used that as a "shuffling" technique.

I'm not entirely sure if I would have chosen a five-player game of Galaxy Trucker to introduce Sarah to the game, as we had to use the "New Technologies" tiles and there were already quite a number of things for her to absorb, but that's how we had to do it.

Sarah really enjoyed the game, though. By the end of it, she was handing over money to Randy to buy his second copy of the game, which I'm sure she'll get a lot of use out of. Sarah also picked up a rule in the introductory game that doesn't seem to be repealed in the full game that we hadn't been using: when you return a tile to the big pile in the centre of the table, you do it face-up. Ah, the problems of relaying the rules of games you've learnt at conventions! Sarah noticed this after our game, though, so it wasn't in effect for this game.

We used the variant ships for each mission. The IIa ship, which is actually two separate ships, was really tricky to build. Poor Rich didn't even launch with one of his ship... he couldn't find any crew for it! I was the one who was drawing lots and lots of crew spaces. Twelve crew on a ship? No problem! Indeed, I was even loading the crew onto cargo holds on occasion, so relentlessly crewed were my ships! (Yes, we noticed my mistake and ejected the stowaways into space shortly after take-off).

Randy, as normal, built good ships and really quickly. My ships were dreadfully made, but - amazingly - survived the voyage. It's the worse I've ever made ships, and my returns were correspondingly poor. Josh and Rich were somewhere inbetween, and Sarah was just having fun.

The best ship of the night was Josh's IIIa, which was very small indeed, and consisted of the front five squares of indestructible "dishes". He only lost a couple of parts from that ship for the entire voyage, but the less said about his cargo space the better.

Smugglers, Asteroids, Pirates? Yeah, we got all of those.

The Big Expansion did mix things up, and I'm looking forward to playing with more of it now we've a handle of the new technologies. It's just a pity that the two versions of the game aren't quite compatible.

Oh, and we all won. I think everyone turned a profit on every voyage. At the end, Randy was far away the leader with over 80 credits. However, we declared Josh to be the Ultimate Winner, as he had exactly 42 credits - and anyone with the Ultimate Answer also deserves to be the Ultimate Winner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy the upgrade kit from Rio Grande for $11 shipped. Boards & Bits also stocks it at same price but only worth it if you buy something else since that doesn't include shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the upgrade kit also include cards?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Toth
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
The kit include cards, new money and ship tiles, new numeric chips and little plastic ships, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like everyone had a great time!

One suggestion for next time you have 5 players and some are new: Don't use the expansion tiles for the first race. There are enough tiles with the base game for 5 players to build either the I or IA ship. After the new players have one race under their belt, you can introduce the expansion tiles for races II and III.

Also, if you have a mix of new and experienced players, the Rough Road Ahead cards can be used to handicap the experienced players. I believe the expansion rulebook has a section on handicapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.