GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Great moments in dungeon crawling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Facetious Black
United States
Glenview
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a full session report, just a snapshot of a great moment in a recent Descent game.

Master Sorcerers are annoying. They hit like a cannon, and they have that nasty habit of popping back up after you think you've killed them. The MS in question had pulled that trick four or five times already. He would be dealt a fistfull of wounds, getting past his relatively significant armor, only to roll the dreaded surge symbol, popping back up like some sort of unholy, sorcerous Weeble.

The mage-weeble was currently holding on to one last wound, and was squaring off in the face of our own spell slinger. I'm assuming that he found the size of our mage's staff threatening, because rather than inflicting wounds he chose to shatter the weapon (crushing blow, I believe is the name of the card.)

In a rage, our mage looked at the wounded, weeble-sorcerer in front of him, looked down at the broken remains of his only weapon, looked at his meager pile of coin, thought a moment, and said with a sort of frantic grin "I'll punch him," and reached for his one red die.

Now, based on the number of players, the Master Sorcerer had 3 armor, and you will recall that he had one wound remaining. Therefore, our hero needed 4 wounds on the red die to kill him (agian.) With hopeful eyes he scanned the sides of that red die, finding that one of them would yield the result he needed. Reassured by the mere possibility of success, he threw the die.

X

That's right. A complete miss. There was a collective groan from the gathered players, and a moment of silence passed before our hero realized that he had declared a battle action. He lifted the die again.

As gamers, we all know that probability warps around dice, but in this case it warped in favor of the dramatic. On his second throw, the one face that mattered was showing. 4 wounds. But, remember, this was the Weeble-sorcerer. All sat in rapt attention as the Overlord shook a single power die. The result:

Blank.

Sometimes, one has no choice but to impale one's enemies on the broken end of a mage staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool moment! Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have used a few of those surges last night. None of my master skellies or sorcerers popped up after dying. Not once. Gag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, if you aren't the OL.

On second thought, leaving the mage unarmed is pretty well worth the loss of a sorcerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm swiping that phrase of yours, if you don't mind.

"Why, you unholy, sorcerous Weeble, you!" angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.