GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,368 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook» Forums » General

Subject: Beta has begun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Beta has begun for the Blood Bowl game from Cyanide Studios, but it is multiplayer only. And if I'm going to learn the game while playing an opponent, I'd rather it be someone from BGG than a total stranger. So if you are in the beta and looking for a game, post your coach name here (I'm Uethym).

And no breaking the NDA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the beta : littlemute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the first part of the rulebook. The core rules you need to know isent hard at all and take about 30 mins to read. Can be nice with some flesh on your bones befoure going out on the field =)

So how does the game feels?
I have read that there is two way to play the game, one that is identicall to the boardgame (classic mode) and one that is called the blitz and is little more real time.

Love to hear all about the game =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being part of the beta, we all have to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying we won't talk about the game.

But I will cheat this much: it's a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.
I only can hope that the game will come out to summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. "Squid Fishious"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too, am in. "biggdork"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Falconeer
Italy
Roma
rm
flag msg tools
I don't think I am breaking the NDA by saying that the videogame is INCREDIBLY fun. It realized one of my dreams as a kid, by making it possible to have real leagues and making the whole Blood Bowl concept finally persistant. It is ALL in there, and it is just great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Falconeer wrote:
I don't think I am breaking the NDA by saying that the videogame is INCREDIBLY fun. It realized one of my dreams as a kid, by making it possible to have real leagues and making the whole Blood Bowl concept finally persistant. It is ALL in there, and it is just great.

I agree with all of that. I think it's already one of my favorite PC games of all-time! I've dreamt about something like this since I was 16 years old and bought Blood Bowl.

Edit: Oh, I'm in the beta too, as "Yokiboy" of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Just had a phenomenal Human (me) vs. Orc (opponent) game. Both teams relatively new. Orcs win the toss and elect to kick, and I race three guys behind his lines and score by turn 4. I kick off and the Orcs just start chewing through me. Two KOs, two Badly Hurt, and one Dead, one right after another. I keep throwing guys into the breach to delay, delay, delay, and despite the horrific losses I get to halftime up 1-0, but can only field ten guys.

Second half, I kick, and the meat grinder starts again. He finally scores in the top half of turn 6. I have only seven guys left standing, and we're both out of rerolls.

Bottom of 6th: Thrower gets the ball. Everyone not forced to be on the line of scrimmage gets back, so he can only blitz one of us.
Top of 7th: He puts four guys in the turf, but can't reach one of the catchers.
Bottom of 7th: Thrower hands off to catcher, who streaks downfield to seal the draw.
Top of 8th: One orc applies tackle zone, another blitzes. Double skulls. No rerolls. Hang on a second, folks.
Bottom of 8th: Catcher makes his Dodge and needs just a single go-for-it to score.

Any guess what I rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A "1" for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis,
in the situation you describe there's an easy tactic to use against the bruiser teams meatgrinder-- dodge out of their TZ's so they only at most get a blitz and a foul and then on turn 6 or so, let them score. Don't worry about the odd guy that falls down during the dodge, that may coax them into fouling which can go very badly for the fouler without dirty player. With Humans you can fairly easily score in two turns if the dice go well. So during their drive, you just keep pressure on their ball carrier without letting them block your men without a blitz. With AV 8 humans are not weaklings by any account. Eventually you will see their line break apart and you will be able to isolate pockets of Orks that you can beat on while they plod the ball in to score-- then you score again.

However, Nuffle often has many things to say about any such plans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Followed up with a 1-0 win. Almost the same script, except the Orcs couldn't score. Note to Orc players: I know it's fun to have four Black Orcs and a Troll, and to be raining down Mighty Blows and 6 casualties per game, but you are never going to win without (a) rerolls, and (b) a thrower.

Picking up a mercenary just to have 11 guys: 120,000 gp (inducement)
Replacing a dead linemen: 50,000 gp
Hiring an apothecary now that I have level 2 players: 50,000 gp
Being outmanned 11-5 midway through the second half, and watching the other team lose because they can't pick up the ball: Priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad the beta is over. However, I am more excited for the eventual release now than I was even before, which was a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.