GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,528 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

König von Siam» Forums » Variants

Subject: Select cards after cubes have been distributed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Collins
United Kingdom
SIDMOUTH
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware that the correct order of events is for each player to select a card before cubes are placed on the board.

However, I find it easier to persuade my SO to play a game -- any game -- if I can have the components set up in advance. So ideally I would distribute the cubes first and, assuming there was at least two cubes of each colour in the common pool (for two players), select cards last.

I can see that selecting cards first slightly alters the cardinality of cubes of each set in a two player game, hence affect the probability of a cube being picked. But the bottom line is: would it really matter? i.e. would it make the game play any less enjoyable if we selected cards last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it makes no difference, as long as there are enough cubes of each color left in the supply for the # of players. No one should be shortchanged their starting cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a random setup. Any of the possible arrangements could have been the one you selected if you did it in the "correct" order, so who cares? But if you're seriously worried about the incredibly small difference in probability distribution this would make, simply follow the official procedure: select the cards first, and then put the cubes out, and then call your SO to come play, with the cards also already conveniently set up in front of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In extreme setups, some cards might not be taken (I dont think there is a setup where someone wont have a chance of winning, but first-time-players might disagree).
So: Setup the board and deal the cards face down. Then the players take their seats and take their respective cubes according to the cards theyve drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The order of set-up as written in the rules, is indeed for the extreme unlikely case, that all cubes of a certain colour are already on the board, which would mean that you could not fulfill the initial cubes for a player.

So, you can set up the game before dealing the start-cubes-cards to the players. But you must be aware, that maybe you have to set up the board two times or even three times, if all devils are against you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.