GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,567 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Panzerblitz: Hill of Death» Forums » General

Subject: Lefties bad, righties good! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Erin Bottrell made an amusing observation on the CSW forum - all of the German infantry are left-handed!

Erin's reasonable hypothesis is that the counter art for the Germans was flipped at some stage of the process so that the opposing units would be portrayed as facing-off against each other.

Makes one wonder if those Typhoons are captured aircraft being operated by Luftwaffe pilots...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those Germans are very sinister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lea Schneider
Germany
Neubiberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those guys were definitely no lefties!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

Makes one wonder if those Typhoons are captured aircraft being operated by Luftwaffe pilots...

No, they are just sneaking up behind those Germansninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
Those Germans are very sinister.

The Brits, on the other hand, appear to be very dexterous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor Jerries, they'll be catching brass casings in their face the whole time! (right hand ejection ports are certainly biased!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just a "whoops" as they were probably looking to create the guys facing opposite directions. Looks funny though! The box cover of Axis & Allies Battle of the Bulge game also has the Americans firing their M1 Garands left handed!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Makes me long for the days of monochromatic silhouettes and plain-jane military symbology, although I know I am in the minority on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Makes me long for the days of monochromatic silhouettes and plain-jane military symbology, although I know I am in the minority on this.

Once you get above company level I'd agree with you, but when you are talking about platoons or squads, I kind of like the 'miniatures' approach with pictures of guys and tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you, I'm tired of the trend towards cutesy video game style graphics in wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more! Although I do like to see the vehicles portrayed via a nice silhouette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I have with these counters is the battalion and company symbols used as steps...

Confusing show-stopper for me. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about anything would have caused confusion. Don't need to cram another number up there. Maybe little boxes would have been okay, but then again that's not very visible.

They're not battalion and company symbols - just vertical bars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
lgoldberg wrote:
Just about anything would have caused confusion.

Shades of the curse excuse here...

On the contrary, this simply seems to be another example which underscores the failure to have "fresh eyed" playtesters look at the final product before it went to print...

The company/battalion notations have been commonly used on wargame counters for what, nearly 50 years??? Plus, the PB2 step notations are used in the same location that one would expect to find the notation indicating company/battalion sized units.

This makes it hard to imagine an option that could have had anywhere near the same potential for confusion and/or distraction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:
Just about anything would have caused confusion.

Shades of the curse excuse here...

I agree. I like the game, but I simply have a strange feeling with those vertical bars. Their usage is a basic convention in wargames. You could have used little circles or bullets, which I think are the convention for section and squad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_symbols
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While watching a YouTube play-through, the vertical orientation of the stacking bars was discussed. He suggested to rotate them 90 degrees so to conceptualize stacking. I thought it was a good idea, thus avoiding the company or battalion inference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
recruit2112 wrote:
While watching a YouTube play-through, the vertical orientation of the stacking bars was discussed. He suggested to rotate them 90 degrees so to conceptualize stacking. I thought it was a good idea, thus avoiding the company or battalion inference.

But then you end up with Stonehenge . . . built from TANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.