GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gaming for Charity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just wanted to share something with everyone that I think is pretty cool. A couple of our BGG brethren have put together a great little Midwest con to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

and

Bill Corey Jr.
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.thecubistpodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb

started the Gaming Hoopla in 2008 as a way to get a lot of people together to play a ton of great games for a weekend, while at the same time raising a lot of money for ACS. The first Gaming Hoopla was held last September and had almost 70 attendees that helped bring in almost $2000 for ACS!

Since their first event was such a success, and they couldn't wait until September of 2009 to do it again, they've decided to hold one this Spring as well. The 2009 Spring Gaming Hoopla is happening this weekend in Lake Geneva, WI and they're hoping that the attendance and funds raised will be even greater than last year!

I'm in no way affiliated with the Hoopla, other than being a Fall Hoopla attendee, but I'm really excited to see what these guys are doing. This is something that could easily be duplicated by any of us to raise money for our favorite cause. So please join me in thanking them, and the nameless others that are helping them, for being an inspiration to all of us. We can always use more people like Brent and Bill and I hope some of you will put together a similar event in your area.

I also blabbed to one of the GeekDad contributors about what Brent and Bill our doing, and he ran a piece about it a couple of days ago. You can check it out here...

http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2009/04/playing-board-g.html

The official Hoopla website can be found here...

http://www.gaminghoopla.com

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Corey Jr.
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.thecubistpodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, helping organize the Hoopla has been a very rewarding and educational experience for me (and I'd be willing to bet Brent would agree), and I'm really glad to know that there are folks out there like Chris and others that enjoy the results of the effort we've put into these events. Thanks.

When this weekend is over, I want to post here again and discuss the fund-raising aspects of the con itself, because I honestly believe we've stumbled into a pretty good working model here for any gaming group regardless of size that's interested in trying to raise money for a worthy charity. I would love nothing more than to see more of these sorts of cons spring up in the future.

Again, thanks much for the kind words, Chris... we appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen this until now (post-Spring Hoopla,) but thanks Chris for your comments and help in spreading the word about our little con. It has been very rewarding to see the turnout so high for both the fall and spring, and every gamer that was there deserves a huge thank you for their generosity in supporting the ACS.

Thank you Chris for coming and for all your great suggestions along the way.

If anyone in BGG land has any questions about starting/planning something like the Hoopla, feel free to geekmail me. By no means do I think I am an expert, but perhaps I could pass on what I've learned in the last year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Corey Jr.
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.thecubistpodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This conversation has been started here as well. Perhaps a new thread discussing the organizational side of things is in order? I asked the other poster to do so, and I'll cross-post here if that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Corey Jr.
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.thecubistpodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, we have a Guild for everyone to join! We have a calendar with the Mini-Hooplas and the Fall Gaming Hoopla scheduled on it, and I've started a discussion thread in case anyone wants to "schedule" some games for the next Mini on May 31. Come join us, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.