Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For several years now, I've been using advanced search to pull up the stats about the games on the site. Primarily as a method to compute the FORM metric, but also out of morbid curiosuity.

In the past, I could just enter the range of ratings (say 0 to 10) and the number of ratings (say 25) and hit enter. I could then add &nopager=1 to get all of this on one page in a nice little chart that I could cut and paste into a spreadsheet.

When I tried this tonight, I got a weird 10 page result that doesn't sem to follow any particular rhyme or reason. What's worse, it's in a gallery view instead of the former table, so I couldn't really use it anyway (easily). The &nopager=1 is no longer working. I last did this back in January, so it has changed since then.

Any helpful suggestions out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Advanced search has been totally rewritten, and can no longer do the sort of thing you are asking. For technical reasons, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to do that again.

While you can't get the list in that way anymore, you might be able to make use of the XMLAPI to get some of the numbers you are looking for:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_XML_API

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, this is the "improved" BGG. The advanced search has been rendered useless in that regard. The closest equivalent is to create a dummy account, select all the games you're looking for (as owned or preordered or whatever) and then export that user's game collection. But that doesn't include standard deviation or other useful info (though it does have some other nifty data).

I really, really wish there were an equivalent dynamic search function to return that table. I don't have the skills to do whatever it is people talk about with XPMLI or whatever acronym they use to mean "too esoteric for me." :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Sadly, this is the "improved" BGG. The advanced search has been rendered useless in that regard. The closest equivalent is to create a dummy account, select all the games you're looking for (as owned or preordered or whatever) and then export that user's game collection. But that doesn't include standard deviation or other useful info (though it does have some other nifty data).

I really, really wish there were an equivalent dynamic search function to return that table. I don't have the skills to do whatever it is people talk about with XPMLI or whatever acronym they use to mean "too esoteric for me."

cry I hear you, I"m a non-programmer too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Advanced search has been totally rewritten, and can no longer do the sort of thing you are asking. For technical reasons, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to do that again.

While you can't get the list in that way anymore, you might be able to make use of the XMLAPI to get some of the numbers you are looking for:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_XML_API

Yeah, I played around with that for an hour or two before I gave up and posted here. The stats available there appear to be what I am after. Unfortunately, it is awfully labor intensive to do this by hand (5000+ ranked games alone). If there were a way to throw in a wildcard or something for the game ID and just pull everything, I could do the rest. In fact, I imagine a fairly simple loop in a program could do that. However, I don't have the programming chops to go and fetch that information and store it in a way I could use it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Add me to the list of people who thinks the Advanced Game Search is now totally nerfed.

It was much better when we could see all the game data like standard deviations, weight etc all on one page (or at least on several pages without the &nopager=1 addition). As it is now, results are limited to 1000 games out of 40000+ possibilities and there are no extra stats like SD's or weights. It now only shows 1 in 40 games in the database. The rest are effectively hidden away from view no matter what search variables you use.

Not being an expert in XML API, could anyone point me to something that would help me get the following into a spreadsheet:

All games (without expansions) with >=30 ratings. Each game entry should have it's weight, standard deviation, # of ratings and average rating.

Nothing too complex really... and this used to be very simple to get with the old advanced search tool.

Ideally it would be nice to see the following available in spreadsheet format for each game on BGG:

Title-Avg Rating-Num Voters-Standard Dev-Weight-Games Played-Unique Users Playing-Wanted in Wishlist-Wanted in Trade

Agricola,8.39,8794,1.46,3.6,42705,5879,2314,563

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.