Subject: Does "your race" mean "your active race" or any of your races? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
Knowing this would clarify some of the rules. In particular, can place your active race tokens on the same regions as your in decline tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need to CONQUER your other race to enter those regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't received my copy of this game yet, so I haven't read the rules, but can you go adjacent to your declining race? In Vinci, going adjacent to your declining empire would remove that token, unless you had the Heritage ability, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blackman
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bataar wrote:
.. can you go adjacent to your declining race?

Yes. If you have the correct number of tokens to conquer a region adjacent to your declining race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
zwarbo wrote:
Bataar wrote:

Yes. If you have the correct number of tokens to conquer a region adjacent to your declining race.

Where is the rule for that? All I can find is the rule at the top of page 2 that states "A player's race deploying on the map for the first time must enter it by conquering one of its border regions (i.e. a region adjacent to the edge of the board or one whose shore is on a sea adjacent to the edge of the board)"

That seems to explicitly state that you can not go adjacent to your declining race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilMushroom wrote:
zwarbo wrote:
Bataar wrote:

Where is the rule for that? All I can find is the rule at the top of page 2 that states "A player's race deploying on the map for the first time must enter it by conquering one of its border regions (i.e. a region adjacent to the edge of the board or one whose shore is on a sea adjacent to the edge of the board)"

That seems to explicitly state that you can not go adjacent to your declining race.

There are two things being confused here.

1) Can you go adjacent to your declining race as of right, when you don't have any active race presence in the area? The answer to this is clearly no (as the quote above shows).

2) Can you go adjacent to your declining race if your active race is also adjacent to the region in quesiton? The answer to this is yes (there is no restriction on it, unlike in Vinci)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:

Can you go adjacent to your declining race if your active race is also adjacent to the region in quesiton? The answer to this is yes (there is no restriction on it, unlike in Vinci)

That sounds like it means you can't use your declining race to get a foothold on territories not adjacent to your active race. So in cases involving scoring, "your race" means any of your active or in decline races. In all cases not involving scoring, "your race" means your active race, and you treat your in decline races just as you would treat your opponents. Does that sound right?

I have not played Vinci, so that may be why I am interpreting the rules differently than others are. I also noticed the Board Games With Scott video review said you could use your decline races to meet the adjacency requirement to determine if a territory is reachable by your active race. Much confusion, I don't know if an errata can fix it, we may need a re-written rulebook. The rulebook should be written without the assumption that we have read the Vinci rulebook first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
People, calm down, take a deep breath, and read the rulebook.

Quote:
I. The First Turn
2. Conquering Regions
> First Conquest
A player's race deploying on the map for the first time must
enter it by conquering one of its border Regions

The subject of the sentance is "race". "Player's" modifies it. It is not once per player, but once per race. But what about the next race you control?

Quote:

II. Following Turns
> Entering in Decline
On his next turn, the player will select a new Race and Special
Power combo from among those now available to him. He then
follows the same rules used during the first turn of the game.

In other words, no, you obey the rules of the first conquest, which explicitly says you enter along the border regions.

Finally, what about picking up all your active tokens?
Quote:
If the player
chooses to abandon all the Regions he previously occupied,
his next conquest must follow the same rules as its First
Conquest (see First Conquest, p. 4).

Third verse same as the first.

Bottom Line:
Declined races do not increase the number of regions your active race can attack, ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.