Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have now been at least 3 versions of the rules in German, and also a comment from Leo Colovini that contradicts them!

So here's an attempt to see where we now stand - though the more I look at the rules, the more I realise what a bad job has been made of them in every version!

There are some changes which merely try to explain the rules better - whether they do or not is debateable - personally, I think the latest version just confuses the issue further!

Then there are changes which are actual rules changes. There are 3 of these, all connected to the privileges.

1) In the ruleset published with the game, a privilege is taken by the first player to build a palace in a colour. In the revised rules (both versions), this has changed to 'the first to have 3 points in a colour' - so this could also be 3 houses (or a town, if a player converted 3 houses to a town before thinking to claim the privilege).

2) The red privilege has been printed in the game as allowing you to draw 4 cards instead of 3 when you do not build in your turn. The first version of the revised rules stated that you drew 5 instead of 4, but in the second version this has gone back to 4 again. Carlo Rossi who was involved in the development of the game has stated that it should be 5 as otherwise it would be too weak compared to the beige privilege.
My guess is that Clementoni doesn't want to have to admit to misprinting the cards and so wants to keep the rule as drawing 4 cards.
I'll be playing it the way it was presumably intended - draw 5 cards.

3) In the boxed rules and first revision, someone attacked by a pirate has to give up a house. The second revision adds that if the player does not have any houses he does not have to give anything up. However in a reply to a question here on the Geek, Leo Colovini has said that the player must give up a palace if he hasn't got a house! My guess here is that Clementoni want the game to be a bit more forgiving - losing a house is not too bad but to lose a palace is quite harsh.

And if you have 3 houses, gain a privilege, and then lose a house, do you lose the privilege? The rules don't say. But if you played the original rule that the privilege is only awarded when the player builds a palace, and the palace cannot be destroyed, the problem wouldn't arise!

And after all these revisions there's still the line in both the revisions (but not the boxed rules) that states: 'A town cannot be built for 1 palace and 1 town' (it should say 'for 1 palace and 1 house).
Fortunately for anyone using my translation, I did notice this and 1 or 2 other errors, which I corrected myself whilst translating (and informed Carlo Rossi of them).

I've played the game once so far - and at least it's easy enough to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Colovini
Italy
Venice
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fledermaushaus wrote:

1) In the ruleset published with the game, a privilege is taken by the first player to build a palace in a colour. In the revised rules (both versions), this has changed to 'the first to have 3 points in a colour' - so this could also be 3 houses (or a town, if a player converted 3 houses to a town before thinking to claim the privilege).

yes this is the right rule. We specified the 3-points rule because otherwise people have the doubt if they could have the privilege with a town.

2) The red privilege has been printed in the game as allowing you to draw 4 cards instead of 3 when you do not build in your turn. The first version of the revised rules stated that you drew 5 instead of 4, but in the second version this has gone back to 4 again. Carlo Rossi who was involved in the development of the game has stated that it should be 5 as otherwise it would be too weak compared to the beige privilege.
My guess is that Clementoni doesn't want to have to admit to misprinting the cards and so wants to keep the rule as drawing 4 cards.

Clementoni didn't misprint the card. Simply, after the game was printed, I made further tests and I realized that the Red privilege wasn't strong enough. So i asked to Clementoni to print a new card in the next edition. Whey will do, but in the meantime, until the first edition is on the market, they prefer to keep the rule as it is. Obviously you can already play with the new rule even if you have the old card.

3) In the boxed rules and first revision, someone attacked by a pirate has to give up a house. The second revision adds that if the player does not have any houses he does not have to give anything up.

Yes I answered as you mention, but I was mistaken. It's not so strange that the author of a game makes a mistake, I tested so many different solutions and so many versions that I didn't remember the last decision we made. At the end, we decided that to be penalized of a Palace or even a town is too frustrating, so if you have no houses you pay nothing.

And if you have 3 houses, gain a privilege, and then lose a house, do you lose the privilege? The rules don't say. But if you played the original rule that the privilege is only awarded when the player builds a palace, and the palace cannot be destroyed, the problem wouldn't arise!

If you lose an house you can lose the privilege too. It could happen in any case, if another player has the some number of points of your.

And after all these revisions there's still the line in both the revisions (but not the boxed rules) that states: 'A town cannot be built for 1 palace and 1 town' (it should say 'for 1 palace and 1 house).
Fortunately for anyone using my translation, I did notice this and 1 or 2 other errors, which I corrected myself whilst translating (and informed Carlo Rossi of them).

Yes, this also was a mistake, the right rule is obviously for 1 palace and 1 house. By the way the current version of the rule (that you can find in the Clementoni site is correct).

Yes it is, and I hope you will like it even if you had so many troubles with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Leo for answering all those points - as the answers were within the 'quote' I have only just realised that you'd written more than just the final line!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Colovini
Italy
Venice
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry but I'm not expert in such a kind of forums! :gulp:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To aid future readers as puzzled as I was, I've re-posted Leo's response above with quoting:

Fledermaushaus wrote:

yes this is the right rule. We specified the 3-points rule because otherwise people have the doubt if they could have the privilege with a town.
Quote:

Clementoni didn't misprint the card. Simply, after the game was printed, I made further tests and I realized that the Red privilege wasn't strong enough. So i asked to Clementoni to print a new card in the next edition. Whey will do, but in the meantime, until the first edition is on the market, they prefer to keep the rule as it is. Obviously you can already play with the new rule even if you have the old card.
Quote:

3) In the boxed rules and first revision, someone attacked by a pirate has to give up a house. The second revision adds that if the player does not have any houses he does not have to give anything up.

Yes I answered as you mention, but I was mistaken. It's not so strange that the author of a game makes a mistake, I tested so many different solutions and so many versions that I didn't remember the last decision we made. At the end, we decided that to be penalized of a Palace or even a town is too frustrating, so if you have no houses you pay nothing.
Quote:

If you lose an house you can lose the privilege too. It could happen in any case, if another player has the some number of points of your.
Quote:

Yes, this also was a mistake, the right rule is obviously for 1 palace and 1 house. By the way the current version of the rule (that you can find in the Clementoni site is correct).
Quote:

Yes it is, and I hope you will like it even if you had so many troubles with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Jornet

Gavà
Barcelona
msg tools
designer
https://reservoirjocs.cat
badge
Passion & know-how in culturetainment & boardgames. Playtester, UI/UX reviewer and podcast host at RESERVOIR JOCS since 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
All is very clear, but the only 2 things missing are...

...there is nothing about a final score tie-breaker?

...if all the towns (in all colours) are built in different islands and a player wants to build a new town: he is allowed to do this or he only can upgrade his island with palaces (because there are NO town tiles available)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.