M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother, his girlfriend, and later my mother will be spending some time in Canada and we have a home/address there.

So my idea is to purchase some games that are notably cheaper in Canada, and have them shipped there.

My first thought was Memoir '44 and Battlelore, and some of their expansions, but I now have Memoir '44.

Other ideas would be Arkham Horror or what not.

My question here is, what games would you think to be cheaper (considerably) in Canada (North America) than in Europe?

Do you have any experience with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in general prices are noticably less expensive in the US vs. Canada. If he lives close to the border or in some way can arrange with a friend in the US to receive packages and then drive down and pick them up you'll save quite a bit on shipping.

As mentioned in other threads, once you hit a value of $50, then there will be duty fees on any packages coming into Canada from the US.

Other than that I'm stuck to thinking of games that are produced in Canada. Garden Competition is one example.

You might also look at Conquest of the Empire, available at www.funagain.com for $24.00 (US retailer).

If you are thinking about wargames at all, my understanding, which may or may not be true is that the GMT and MMP titles may be less expensive over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of Filosofia's (Canadian publisher) offerings may also be cheaper than the going rate in the states. Genoa and Chinatown wer both done by Filosofia, at a cheaper rate (domestically anyway) than what the Z-man offering would have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice Crokinole board might be cheaper in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Crokinole (never seen it apart from on here, but I'll take a look).

As for war games - I'm still trying to get my wife into Memoir, so I'll wait with that. No hurry.

I'll look into the Filosofia tip. That does sound good. Genua has been republished though (it's very very high on my wish list).

Conquest of the Empire is a little too much like History of the World for now, since I'm about to get that one in one of these days. Also, I passed on it at Essen where they were selling it for 15/20 euro? (forget which - very cheap though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
PitchCar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:

I was hoping you'd also know where to get a decent deal, because I have not found one yet - nor for Crokinole. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places

(mainly looking here now: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39039

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be warned that Crokinole boards are fairly large - easily a foot or two in diameter. The Pitchcar lead may be worth investigating, but I think FRED is bringing them in from France...
Filosofia was the publisher behind the Genoa re-publish, in partnership with RGG or Z-Man, if memory serves correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Ferti are in France, I can't see any benefit from buying PitchCar - the game is made in France, then shipped to Canada and you're going to take it back to Europe. This makes no sense to me.

Crokinole is a great idea, but it is pretty hefty - both in weight and price.

I would consider looking into any game from a US or Canadian publisher: since many Fantasy Flight titles were mentioned, you might look at their recent offerings, such as Battlestar Galactica, Android or Age of Conan (again, if the themes interest you - the first is excellent (as far as I am concerned), but I have little interest in the last two). Filosophia has recently published new editions of Chinatown, (Traders of) Genoa and Exxtra (the latter under the name Excape). If you are interested and have not yet picked up a copy, you might look at Dominion from Rio Grande.

Good luck getting everything together in a coordinated fashion. I have found that when I order games for a specific function/time, unless I shell out for the express shipping, I am not likely to have the game in hand when I want it - it will arrive at least one day late...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Youri Janse
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few places in the Netherlands where you can order games for alot cheaper than MSRP. You just have to know where to look

I visit Canada quite regularely for years now, and last time I went there I bought all the Heroscape I could find that was marked down (look at Winners and Zellers in particular) and in addition at Toys'R'Us I bought Swamp of the Marro for 50 CAD, which is the normal price. At the time however the exchange rate was 1.7 CAD for 1 euro, making it 29,50 euro. Since Heroscape is hard to find in the Netherlands except the Valkyrie set, it was quite worthwhile.

Also, I bought Risk the new edition for 29 CAD at Wallmart, they should still have it, and the 3D Puzz CN-Tower which was 30 CAD. (try finding that over here).

Other than that, most of the stuff wasn't worthwhile since it's possible to get most things quite cheaply in the Netherlands already. Also remember that you are restricted in luggage weight and size, depending on the company you're flying with. I went to Canada with 2 bags 15 kg's each, bringing food for the in-laws, and went home with 4 bags 22,5 kg's each, bringing mainly toys and games (to the despair of both my girlfriend and her mom )

"You bought ANOTHER game?!?!"
"Yeah I figured since we decided to bring a 4th suitcase on the trip back we have plenty of space now right ?"

I wouldn't dare bringing a Crokinole board with me, although I would love to have one.

Remember that everything you buy in the store is not including "BTW" (GST/PST in Ontario, 13% markup above the price you see listed). This sometimes kills the deal alltogether.

If you need some places to buy cheap games in the Netherlands pm me.

And yeah, Canada definitely doesn't have the sweet deals as the US has unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I've been looking at the possible deals, and it just doesn't seem worth it. I will be visiting Essen later this year and there are so many good deals to be had there.

Then there are my regular trips to Germany, where I could purchase Queen Games for really cheap. Just picked up Chicago Express for 20 euro and Elasund: The First City for 10 euro admittedly not the best deals ever, but certainly worth it.

Galeria Kauffhof is excellent for that, as well as the game shop in Essen, AllGames4you.

I've been doing a massive comparison with prices, and really, I'd only be winning a euro here and there, and my brother and his girlfriend, and probably my mother later as well would have to carry tons back for those few euro, since I'd need to go over 180C$ to get free shipping.

If anyone knows where to get a good crokinole board that has a good price as well, then do let me know, as I don't think my brother will be carrying anything else back (for me!). (Bear in mind I know nothing of the game ;))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.