Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered this game based on our fondness for games like Kingsburg, Stone Age, along with simpler dice Euros like Can't Stop and Excape. It is a game for 2 to 5 players and plays in about 30 to 45 minutes.

The Components:
The components you get are very nice. The card, board, and box art are by Piero (Same person who did artwork for Ghost Stories, Mr. Jack, and a rapidly growing list of others). Piero's comic or cartoonish style has a lot of depth to it and is always a joy to look at.

You get:
19 General Store Cards depicting a variety of items worth victory points like spurs, holsters, and horses along with several action cards that allow various sneaky activities during the game.

25 Property Claim cards that are worth varying victory points.

5 small dice cups. Our youngest has small hands and can easily handle the dice cups which is a big bonus. They also all fit in the box unlike the one dice cup for Stone Age.

25 poker dice. Yes these are standard poker dice with each one ranging from a value of 9 to an Ace.

43 small 1$ bills. If you play with the full five player compliment this is exactly how much money you need for the game so you might not want to lose any.

30 plastic bits depicting gold nuggets. They are shaped like gold nuggets and gold in color but are just not shiny.

1 sheriff badge card with a card stand. I was kind of wishing after they went through the trouble of molding dice cups and little pieces of gold for the game they would have instead supplied a plastic sheriff's badge instead of a card but this is nit picking.

One game board depicting the the town and locations that you use to get your goodies.

Game setup:
Set up is really simple you give every player five poker dice, a dice cup, and $8. You place 30 gold nuggets on the gold mine section of the game board, place $3 on the bank, Give the youngest player the Sheriff's badge, shuffle the General Store cards and place them above the General Store, and shuffle the Property Claim cards placing them above the town hall. You then draw and turn over the first three Property Claim cards and place them in the three spots next to the town Hall.

The game setup is fast and not fiddly. I am becoming a fan of fast and not fiddly. If you play with your kids a lot then you might understand my logic in this.

How the game is played:
Everyone at the same time will shake all their dice in their handy dandy little dice cup and flip the cups over towards the table keeping their roll a secret (like in Liars Dice). You then peek under your cup still trying to keep what you got a secret and decide which 1 dice you want to keep. You leave that dice under the cup still hidden and take the rest of the dice in your hand. Then every one simultaneously reveals the die they kept. After setting that dice aside rinse and repeat until everyone has a five dice poker hand set aside. Now if you want to keep more than one dice in a roll you have to pay for it. For every die you keep after the first one will cost you $1 which is placed on the stage coach. So if on you first roll you want to keep all five of your dice it will cost you $4. If after a roll you don't want to keep any dice you pay $1.

I have so far showed this game to six different and the only thing I can really stress is the keeping the dice secret and to roll simultaneously part. It is very easy to get that often freakish nature when dice cups get involved where people are rolling like mad and throwing money all over the place. So remember everyone does stuff at the same time and keep the die or dice that they are keeping hidden until the right time.

So now that every one has created their poker hands we hit the town.

First off the player who rolled the most 9's gets to take one gold nugget for every 9 that they rolled. The gold nuggets are worth 1 victory point per nugget at the end of the game.

The player who rolled the most 10's gets to rob the bank. So they take all the cash that's in the bank. After the bank is robbed all of the money on the stagecoach gets placed on the bank. With five players the bank in the later rounds will have a lot of money depending on how every one spends it on their dice rolls. The other thing is at the end of the game for every $2 that you have you get 1 victory point. So for as easy as it is to just keep throwing money around on your rolls you do have to take in an account that your are technically spending victory points to do it and is it really worth it to do so.

The player that rolled the most Jacks gets to draw a card from the general store for every Jack that they rolled. They then get to keep one card and discard the rest. The action cards you get from the general store are very helpful, they allow you to take more of something that you were allowed to take, modify your dice rolls, or cancel other actions. There are several that are also worth victory points at the end of the game.

The player who rolled the most Queens gets the favor of the girls and uses their charms to steal from one of their opponent. You get to look at as many cards (Property Claim and/or General Store) as you have Queens. You then keep one and give the rest back to your opponent. I really like this action because it adds that just because you have cool stuff you might not get to keep it aspect to the game.

The player who rolled the most Kings becomes the Sheriff. The fun part of the Sheriff is that the Sheriff decides who wins in case of ties. The Sheriff can be bribed with gold, money, and cards to "aid" in these important decisions. Also whoever has the Sheriff's badge at the end of the game gets 5 victory points for it. So it is good to be the Sheriff.

The player with the best poker hand gets to take the bottom most Property Claim Card showing next to the Town Hall. You also get to take one additional card for each Ace you rolled up to the maximum of the three visible cards showing. After that the left over cards slide down towards the bottom and the empty space/spaces are restocked with new Property Claim Cards from the deck. For those who can't remember what beats what in poker they were smart and added a play aid saying what beats what on the card backs of the deeds. The Property Claim cards offer victory points at the end of the game ranging from 1 to 5.

Finally for those players that didn't get an action they can visit Doc Badluck and use one and only one of his actions based on their roll.

A 9 or a 10 allows you to "barb wire" up to two of your Property Claim Cards thus turning them face up in front of you. These face up cards can no longer be stolen by your opponents.

A Jack or a Queen allows you to draw a card from the General Store.

A King allows you to "set up a sting" and makes all other players give you $2.

An Ace allows you to "set up a big sting" and force all the other players to give you a gold nugget.

That is a round of play you keep doing this until either there are no more Gold Nuggets in the mine or all of the Property Claim Cards have owners. You then count up your total victory points and whoever has the most points is the winner. In case of a tie whoever has the most Property Claim Cards amongst the tied players wins. If there is still a tie the Sheriff decides who wins. So it is still good to be the Sheriff.

What do I think:
We have played this a lot the last couple of days and it is good fun. It is not a deep game and does involve a lot of chance so it may not be for everyone. I do like how the money ties in with the victory points and the dice rolls which makes for interesting decisions there. The Doc Badluck actions are all nice so even if you don't get to do an action in a round you will get something. Considering it is just a dice game it does have a good western flavor to it. This is really good with the right people.

The only part that I can see causing the game to drag is if you get into one of those situations where one player has a ton of cash and spends all his money rolling dice after everyone is done, but since the bank will end up with all that money in the next round it just means all that cash will find a new home.

The Sheriff ability is a riot, I will probably be buying a tin star soon. I love the bribery aspect of all of it. I would really recommend giving this game a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin blackham
United Kingdom
belper
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Love dice games, (Can't Stop and Zilch) so a dice game with a theme and good art is one to watch.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cooley
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only part that I can see causing the game to drag is if you get into one of those situations where one player has a ton of cash and spends all his money rolling dice after everyone is done, but since the bank will end up with all that money in the next round it just means all that cash will find a new home.

Just a note here. This can't happen since once a player has locked all 5 dice in, all the other players that have active dice left are only allowed one roll and have to accept the result of that roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdcbec wrote:

Just a note here. This can't happen since once a player has locked all 5 dice in, all the other players that have active dice left are only allowed one roll and have to accept the result of that roll.

Good catch I missed that one. That also makes the whole simultaneous roll rule make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review.
I was hoping this would be a "dinner game" for my family, but there are too many pieces to play comfortably at the dinner table. However, it's been added to my want list (thanks for teaching Todd!). :-)

Questions/Comments:

Hidden? Do the rules specifically indicate that the dice rolling remain secret? In the second half of our game I started looking at everyone else's dice to determine what to try rolling for.

Poker Chips: This game just screams for some poker chips to replace the money. I remember thinking the money was actually produced very well, relatively strong paper money, but chips seem like they would be perfect.

Dice: I remember not being too keen on the dice. I have a few sets of poker dice from various goodwill purchases etc... and if I ever nab a copy of this game, I might consider replacing the dice.

Thanks again Todd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdefrisco wrote:
Excellent review.
I was hoping this would be a "dinner game" for my family, but there are too many pieces to play comfortably at the dinner table. However, it's been added to my want list (thanks for teaching Todd!). :-)

Questions/Comments:

Hidden? Do the rules specifically indicate that the dice rolling remain secret? In the second half of our game I started looking at everyone else's dice to determine what to try rolling for.

Poker Chips: This game just screams for some poker chips to replace the money. I remember thinking the money was actually produced very well, relatively strong paper money, but chips seem like they would be perfect.

Dice: I remember not being too keen on the dice. I have a few sets of poker dice from various goodwill purchases etc... and if I ever nab a copy of this game, I might consider replacing the dice.

Thanks again Todd!

The rules actually say to hide the dice you are keeping under your cup and to reveal them at the same time. You only see the dice that were kept in the previous rolls.

I was thinking the same thing with the poker chips.

I have to agree with you on the dice thing.

I still think the way we played it originally was fun. Late in the game the bank had a ton of money in it. There was a corrupt sheriff that I think had something to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game sounds great, bummer to hear of a dice game with crappy dice - oh well replace em with good ones I figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game recently and I thought the dice were of good quality. What's wrong with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perhaps Gary
China
flag msg tools
why hidden?? in that way everybody can cheat, get any dice they like. can somebody tell me the rule, for i am not exactly know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boringlamb wrote:
why hidden?? in that way everybody can cheat, get any dice they like. can somebody tell me the rule, for i am not exactly know it.

You hide the dice you decide to keep and reveal them at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.