Subject: Are there other gamers out there like me in this respect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally the title question needs clarification and context, but just as naturally this requires abit of a story.

Just this week, I received two packages with games (which for these purposes does not matter) that I'd won, each in a GL auction. Over the past two years I have acquired a lot of games, many more than at any previous time in my life. Yet the selection was not at all random. When first I realized that what I had been haphazardly doing all my life was making a game collection and that I easily fit the definition of a gamer (which happened after a discussion with one of my sisters), I sat down and made a list of the games I wanted my collection to have. For the most part, I like games strongly on the strategic side but especially games that have stood the test of time or are otherwise more recent classics. With the arrival of these latest games, I have only one game left I wish to definitely buy, Battle-Cry and I would like a professional quality set for Camelot. I'll admit I have one or two I might vaguely consider-- as per my wishlist etc-- but for the most part, I'm finding I really don't want more games. Rather I want to delve into those I have more deeply.

Granted, if a really exceptional game comes along, I might make an exception, and if someone ives me a game I'm unlikely to refuse it, but that's it. It's not even an issue of space. Most games I list as owning are ones I can play with equipment from other games, like [thing=1811][/thing] which I can play with a Chess-set.

So, the nature of the question is about the approach to building a games collection. I am not interesting in collecting in and of itself. I got my games to play, not to look at or just have. I set out with the idea, "This is the collection I want to have," and now basically I have it. I taught I might not be content, but what I find is thatreally I am. Am I unusual in that respect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. You don't see anything else at this time that piques your interest. So, you feel you can take your foot off the gas pedal, as it were.

I'm currently in the same situation with regard to new releases, so I'm turning back to filling several holes in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely enough your collection is within 10 of mine. Maybe 300 is the magic number! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself getting less enthusiastic about new purchase as time goes on and I have a better understanding of what I'll actually be able to play (primarily stuff that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I've certainly hit that point in my collecting from time to time. I reach a stable point where I have all of the games I want, and figure that, unless something else new comes along, there will be nothing else old that I want. I collect games only to play them, and actively try to get rid of games that I don't (and don't want to) play. As long as my tastes remain stable, I'm content to acquire no new games.

What happens is that then occasionally my tastes will shift, I'll play one of the old games (or something newer) and think, hey, I really want to play more games like this. I've recently played and enjoyed a few 18xx games, and am now looking to acquire a few others (including 1830, which I unwisely traded away at a time when I thought I'd NEVER play it).

New games do occasionally come along that I want, but not a huge number of them, since I implemented my semi-strict "try before I buy" policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting post! I only have 9 games and only have 1 game on my "really really want" list. At this point I feel that I want to spend time playing and learning the games that I own. I guessing that once I learn these games I will be bitten with the 'acquire more games of interest' beetle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Patroclus wrote:
Interesting post! I only have 9 games and only have 1 game on my "really really want" list. At this point I feel that I want to spend time playing and learning the games that I own. I guessing that once I learn these games I will be bitten with the 'acquire more games of interest' beetle.
Well more than half and probably over 2/3 of my collection are games I can play with pieces from other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the hardcore board gamer many people on BGG are. My game collection currently totals 51. But only maybe 20 of those are games I would play, with only about 12 which I consider my must have games.

Personally, once I find a game I like I tend to stick with it and just buy expansions, hence with the CMGs & RPGs I love I can just keep on buying more.

So I think it's perfectly normal to be content with your games collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty routinely there but I end up spending money for more anyway. It usually happens as I look at how long it has been since I've played a particular game.

What usually gets me shopping again is some new game everyone is talking about (Agricola, Dominion). I then think "Well if I'm going to get one more, I might as well get a few" then $2600 later I've expanded my collection.

It's also very easy to justify game purchases with a new kid because you're like "I've ignored getting kid friendly games entirely!"

We also limit our purchases to mostly 2P games. If we were routinely playing with more I'd have a ton more games I needed to think about.

I guess my point here is that my collection is "in balance" but it doesn't take much to set it back into imbalance.

My suggestion is to constantly cull the collection while you're adding to it. The worst that happens is you sell/trade something and then decide you really shouldn't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
I'm not the hardcore board gamer many people on BGG are.

So I think it's perfectly normal to be content with your games collection.

This is very true, I dont think 'hardcore' should be labeled in terms of how many you own but rather how much you play? Who determines that? Who knows, but I am quite content with my collection and happy with it because it consists of many games that regularly hit the table. Thats why Im happy with it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hardest thing to collect are good friends who also play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am not a collector, I'm a gamer.

The first thing I do when I buy a game is open it, and bag the pieces. That's because I'm preparing to play it. Most games I buy today are games that I have played, and I know I really like them. Earlier in the hobby, I was trying to buy to many of the new incoming games, even ones that hadn't been released in english yet. The problem with that was I ended up with games that I didn't even enjoy.There is a multitude of games that I've played recently that I liked "somewhat" and have decided to pass on buying.

My collection has thinned quite a bit, after trading away and selling ones that will just collect dust.

That's because I'm a gamer, not a collector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably not a lot like you (the OP); you sound more rational. Yet, I hear you and can understand where you're coming from.

I guess I buy games in hopes of fulfilling a persistent gaming dream I have--a dream of playing games with friends and family pretty regularly and having fun doing it. So, I'll give a game as a gift, hoping we'll end up playing it, liking it, and starting to play it regularly. Or I'll buy a game for myself, then talk my wife into playing it, hoping it turns into a regular activity for us.

But my dream never comes true. Others will play games with me out of politeness, or to while away a couple hours on a rainy day. The rest of the time, I'm on my own. And my desire to play games has not been strong enough, so far, to motivate me to go looking for gamers; I'm really only interested in playing games with people I already know.

So, I do buy games because I want to play them--not just to collect them. My collection builds up accidentally, and then I periodically rid myself of most of it when I realize those games are not being played.

What has so far worked best for me is to find a game I'd like to play regularly with a friend or family member, but which I can also play solitaire or against a computer AI "just to stay in practice." Playing solo isn't usually all that satisfying, but it keeps the rules fresh in my mind and affords some opportunity of experimenting with strategy and tactics. If I ever need to teach somebody the game, I'm all set. Meanwhile, I get some enjoyment out of playing solo and reading about the game.

That leaves me free to focus on one or more games I personally like. And my gaming hobby consists primarily of sampling games and forming opinions on which ones are the best. I don't like juggling a lot of games, though, so I try to make myself concentrate on just a few--ideally on just one (but I've never been able to limit myself to just one for very long).

As to being content with my collection--well, the collection is more or less accidental to me anyway, and I'm almost always in the position of being willing to dump at least half of it. I'm contented as long as I've got a game or two that holds my interest for the time being. But I'm also always discontented because (1) my friends and family aren't as obsessed with games as I am and (2) I never seem to be able to settle in to just one game myself and stick with it long enough to get the most out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cannon
England
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes things just happen over a decent period of time (since 1983 in my case when I started buying boardgames while at uni) and then you discover you've got a reasonably large set of games - c 500 in my case, which averages 20 a year.

I never set out to collect games but have always bought those that look appealing and sound interesting. The 20 a year average is however skewed towards 1995 to 2005 I'd say, and esp post 2000 when I found I had more disposable income. I now purchase less simply because I have so much choice already covering many themes - heck, I even have Busen Memo!

Right now, if I had the time which family and job rightly curtails, I'd sell the number down to 100. I can't for the life of me think that I could ever need to have more than that, and a "collection" of that size would contain some brilliant games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.