1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #190 - ubarose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was never good at writing introductions to anything. Of course I want to thank everybody who congratulated me and contributed to my GotW thread. The next Geek of the Week is:

Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Uba puts a lot of hard work into the website where I'm allowed to publish my cartoons. She is also a rarity of a rarity: an Ameritrash loving board gaming woman. To top things of, she has a great and funny writing style, of which here is just another example:

ubarose wrote:
I am a total procrastinator. I should have written this yesterday, but I put it off until tonight, and tonight has a bit chaotic. First I tried to cut my own hair. It was just one little bit that was wrong, and I thought I could just nip it off, but I was wrong. Oops.

And then the pipes backed up. Our house was built in 1891, and the plumbing is kind of a nightmare. My husband went down the cellar to fix it and kept interrupting me by yelling stuff like, "Turn the washing machine off." Oops.

My friend Francie came over for dinner and games afterwards, but dinner was delayed on account of backed up pipes. So we sat in the kitchen and had cocktails. Whenever we heard a big rush of many gallons of water pouring out onto the cellar floor, followed by unprintable expletives, Francie would yell down, "You are studdly!" It's important to encourage the Man when he is getting many gallons of scummy water dumped on him. Then he would yell back something else unprintable about his studdliness, and Francie and I would giggle like school girls.

Francie is my best friend and neighbor. She lives close enough that we can walk to her house in a foot of snow carrying games. When we first met, she was a Scrabble player and the Man and I were mostly playing old Ameritrash games. She convinced me that we should learn to play Mah-Jongg. That was a total failure. We got our asses handed to us by women twice our age, and they did it without even a pause in their gossip. Francie liked Labyrinth, so I tried to teach her Wiz-War, but that was a total failure. She borrowed my copy of Carcassone Hunters & Gathers. She loved it. I told her to keep it because I hated it. Then she tried to teach me Torres, which gave me a headache. My friend Dan, told us that we should check out boardgamegeek.com to try and find something we could play together, so we did. We have since found many games we all enjoy, and about as many that one or the other of us hates.

The plan for tonight was to play Merchant of Venus, which is a favorite of mine, but which Francie wasn't too keen on the first time she played, but she has since decided that maybe she might like it, even though it is long and slow and has dorky spaceships and chits. However, that plan got booted when fixing the pipes went past 6:30pm, so Francie brought over her new game with wooden llamas, and no spaceships or chits.

I told Francie that I was going to write that I played games because it was a good way to meet "studdly" geeks like my Man. She told me that was B.S. because all the guys at game clubs are gay or married or both or coming off a bad divorce. But I pointed out that she had just described most men our age. In high school and college the gamer guys were mostly single. They were also mostly skinny and nerdy and maybe a bit nebbishy. And yeah, some of them acted like they had their brains sucked out through a bendy straw when a girl sat down to play, and they talked an awful lot about stupid stuff, and the ones who wore eyeliner were kind of creepy. Francie pointed out that I had just described most teenaged boys. So I mixed another drink and ventured down the cellar to check on the Man. I just stood on the last step and peeked around, because i didn't want to ruin my shoes by walking in the scummy, muddy water. He asked me to hand him the snake, so I did and then went back upstairs.

The truth is I play games because I have always played games and have always known people who played games. My parents, my grandparents, my brothers, my college roommate, the stage hands and actors at every theatre I have ever worked in, my boyfriend who became my husband, his friends, the gals at work, my neighbor, her parents... all play games. A couple of years ago, my father gave me a file of important family papers to keep safe. It contained copies of birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, photos of my great-grand parents... and my dad's Bridge Master Points. I laughed, and scanned Master Points in along with his birth certificate.

Around 7:30pm the Man emerged from the basement soaking wet and covered in old spaghetti. We have a new rule in our house. No pasta down the garbage disposal.

Two Truths and a Lie

I'm the singer in a band with my husband.
John Ostrander taught me to play Cosmic Encounter.
In college, I was a bouncer for my Fraternity's parties.

Here are my first questions:

1) Would you have dated Eugene?
2) On the Ultimate Podcast you told a funny anecdote from your childhood. Do you think alcohol and Ameritrash are closely related?
3) What does your "nsx"-tag stand for?
4) If you had to choose between shoes and board games, what would you keep?

I think #1 is the lie. I guess you're the bassist. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb

Huzzah Uba!

* What has been the most surprising part of running F:AT?

* What is your favorite Scotch?

* What is the game that is most played with your family?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! ubarose and it sure looks like someone's declared a F:AT-waa-waa HERE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One was not enough so you are getting
msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Okay, this is going to be one hell of an entertaining GOTW thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Simon. Does this mean you forgive me for miss-spelling "Fiends." And we don't "allow" Simon to post his his cartoons. We are honored that he accept the position as our staff cartoonist. I love Eugene.

Quote:
Would you have dated Eugene?

I knew Eugene in high school. He was a sweetie, but my feelings for him were sisterly. My friend had a total crush on him, and she was really upset when he asked me out. So I arranged for the "date" to be a group thing and threw the two of them together. That's how the girlfriend code works. They dated until my friend went off to college in TX.

Quote:
On the Ultimate Podcast you told a funny anecdote from your childhood. Do you think alcohol and Ameritrash are closely related?

Yeah, my mom accidently got me drunk on rum cake when I was a toddler. If that hadn't killed off all those baby brain cells, I would probably be a war gamer by now.

I think playing games and entertaining are closely related. Drinks are part of entertaining.

Samantha Stevens is my hostess role model. She had that bar in her living room and they always had cocktails before dinner. Having a well stocked bar, food and some form of amusement for your guests is being a good hostess. So if you come to my house you will get food, drink, conversation and games.

Right now the Man is doing a run to the border for beer because we have people coming over this afternoon. Living in a blue state blows.

[ETA: 'round here "blue state" means a state with BLUE LAWS, which restricts the sale of alcohol to certain times and days. ]

Quote:
What does your "nsx"-tag stand for?

I don't know. I'm not sure what tag you are talking about.

Quote:
If you had to choose between shoes and board games, what would you keep?

That's not a fair question. It's like asking which would you give up, food or sex. Food is necessary to live, but without sex, what's the point.

Quote:
I think #1 is the lie. I guess you're the bassist. ;-)

How could you possibly think I'm a bassist. Bassists have big ugly calluses and stubby fingernails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

* What has been the most surprising part of running F:AT?

That we have more than 40 members and get more than a couple 100 page views per day. F:AT was just a lark. I expected it to be maybe 30 guys posting pictures of GAYLUS, and hot chicks on motorcycles with big guns, and Mr. Skeletor writing insulting answers to mailbag letters. When I got the e-mail from our host that we were suspended for resource abuse because we were a "high traffic" site and needed to move to a virtual private server, my literal response was "You have got to be kidding me."

Quote:

Dalwhinnie. I'm told it is a girlie scotch, because it is light and sweet. Men drink scotch that smells like cigars burning in a bog.

Quote:
* What is the game that is most played with your family?

Right now it is PitchCar Mini thanks to Erak. However, that is mostly because it is new. I got it for the Man for his birthday, which was soon after ConnCon where the Man met Erak. We aren't the types that order a shitload of games and then leave them on the shelf to gather dust. We rip the package open as soon as it hits the porch, and then play the new game to death. Then we get tired of it and have to get an expansion or something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation Uba!

I heard your favorite gaming mechanism is worker placement and auctions is that true? If not what is it?

Who is your favorite character to play out of any character in any board game?

What is the best gaming con in the world that you'll be attending in 4 days?

Is your natural hair color really red?

Is it true you have a "special" relationship with Derk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Congratulations, Uba! I sincerely appreciate your game rankings and comments. Just out of curiosity:

- Does Elefun still satisfy as it once did, extra butterflies and all?

- How much higher would you rate RoboRally if Fritos didn't smell like stinky feet?

- What is your preferred variant for Cartagena (if you have tried any of them to compare)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uba,

as one of the guys, what do do you think sucks less? NHL, NBA, Champions League, World Series or Champions Cup?

Can you arrange in order of deservedness of worthiness:
fun murderers
rules lawyers
eugene
schweig
poor people
marylin manson
dave grohl
morticia
will smith
George WH Bush
WEB Dubois
?

in a doom scenario, which operating system will the aliens pervert to destroy human civilisation?

if you came back as a board game character (given your current karma) after death, who would you be?

even if you were not allowed to reveal the website at which you weave your awesome webbuilding skills, how would ordinary boardgamegeek users be able to appreciate your awesome webbuilding skills?

as a mother, what message is it that you would want to give all bgg users? "Don't you *even* think about it" doesn't count

edited *even*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome choice for Geek of the week!thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

You're work on and contributions to F:AT and BGG are a really amazing boosts to the hobby.

Some questions for ya:

--Tell us about your avatar. Is that you? Did you design it? It looks great.

--You've mentioned already some details on what your regular game sessions are like. Can so say a bit more? Who do you usually game with? How do you decide what games to play? How long do you play games for? Do you provide all the food or do other people bring some? What kind of food and drink?

--Do you play music during game sessions? If so, what bands and style of music? If not, what kind of music are you listening to these days?

--If you could have a custom boardgame designed especially for you by anyone or any team in the world, what would it be? What would the theme be (would it be based on a film, TV show, novel, or something else?)? Who would you get to design it?

Have a great week, and thanks again for all your great work!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, and thanks for all of your work on F:AT.

In a thread over there, you commented that you have been told a lot that you resemble Morticia Addams. Did the look follow the name? Or is it some kind of weird codependence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:

I heard your favorite gaming mechanism is worker placement and auctions is that true? If not what is it?

Bite me. Unless by worker placement you mean genetically altered cyborg workers with variable powers, that allow them to blow away your workers with an implanted rocket launcher, steal all your workers sticks and rocks, and then use them to beat the pointy white dude to a bloody pulp.

Quote:
Who is your favorite character to play out of any character in any board game?

Either Sister Mary with a motorcycle and a Tommy gun, or Red Scorpion.
Sister Mary is underpowered which makes her challenging to play. Red Scorpion's power is balanced which means you start with no clear advantage in any area and no clear strategy. Also Red Scorpion has red hair and the power to defy gravity.

Quote:
What is the best gaming con in the world that you'll be attending in 4 days?

Trashfest, because my favorite brother will be there...Strider

Quote:
Is your natural hair color really red?

Of course. Although it is much darker now then we were kids. Although, I confess that last week I did give in to my hairdresser's suggestion to let her put in some highlights just to get through until the summer, when the sun will do it's thing.

Quote:
Is it true you have a "special" relationship with Derk?

Dude, be cool. Even though the Man doesn't have an account here, doesn't mean he doesn't read.

And see Francie, they aren't all married or gay or both or coming off a bad divorce. You just have to attend more cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubarose, you freaking sellout. "Geek of the Week?" I click my tongue at you, madame.

It has been my honor and privilege working with you on F:AT. Enjoy the accolades and spotlight, you deserve every ounce of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations ubarose!

ubarose wrote:
Quote:

Dalwhinnie. I'm told it is a girlie scotch, because it is light and sweet. Men drink scotch that smells like cigars burning in a bog.

Damn, that makes me a guy! Lagavulin is the only one for me, which Paul describes as drinking the ashes from the fireplace. That accurately describes my tea choices too. Must be my Scottish genes expressing themselves.

You mentioned you like Pitchcar; do you own, or would you consider owning, a Crokinole board? Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG!!! I'm so psych'd. You are my first geekbuddy who ever climbed the ranks to QUEEN OF BGG!!! For a WEEK. I can't tell you how impressed I am, and how much sincere admiration I have for YOU.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

I can say, having played quite a few games with you, that winning against you is a rarity. I'll never forget the first game I played with you: a multi-player ANTIKE. You blew us off the board. You also beat all of us at your first ACQUIRE attempt. And so on... One of my favorite recent games with you was FORMULA DE, where it was you and me against the pack, and I crossed the finish line about 1 square ahead of you (which made the win all the more valuable!)

When we talk about you behind your back laugh, all anybody has to say is how strong of a gamer you are (well, maybe that's not quite all), even if your favorite game choices seem to be a little out of the ordinary. Because I know you personally, I'm not sure I should make a public guess about 2 truths/1 lie, so I'll wait 'till I see you at the local game pub.

Have fun this week!

- Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyor
United States
Willington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

Congrats to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Scorpion is also one of my favorites. I am partial to the Runewitch too.

Back to questions though, you mentioned you played games when you worked at theatres.

When was this and what did you do, unless of course that gives away you were in fact a singer who couldn't have been a bouncer at a Fraternity?

Also, I noticed you like horror and roleplaying type games; have you tried A Touch of Evil?

Congrats on GOTW! Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The person that really makes F:AT go!

We might have to change the name to Fortress: Sellouts if we have any more GotWs.

Two questions:

1. What game got you hooked on gaming?

2. If you could pick the theme for the next FFG big box game, what would you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
Give me Ameritrash - or give me death.
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

Congrats and thanks for all your hard work at TOS!

Is it hard working with amateurs like Ken and The Great Satan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:

Also, I noticed you like horror and roleplaying type games; have you tried A Touch of Evil?

Hehe...now you can express your full ire.

Congrats on GotW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:

- Does Elefun still satisfy as it once did, extra butterflies and all?

Elefun is much more satisfying when you have a toddler in the house who thinks it's fun to repeatedly pick up the butterflies and reload the elephant while you just lie there with a cool a drink.

Quote:
How much higher would you rate RoboRally if Fritos didn't smell like stinky feet?

I'd rate it higher if more people didn't get so frustrated by it and start throwing things. You have to play RoboRally with people who really love it, and who have a sense of humor.

Quote:
What is your preferred variant for Cartagena (if you have tried any of them to compare)?

This is a game we play with kids and grandparents, so we have never felt the need to try and of the variants. Nana liked it so much she bought herself a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
and because questions never run out as fast as answers (don't get me started): when you dance when no one can see you, to which song(s) do you dance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
Uba,

as one of the guys, what do do you think sucks less? NHL, NBA, Champions League, World Series or Champions Cup?

First off, I'm not one of the guys. It totally bumms me out that people are always saying stuff like "the F:AT boys." I'm not a boy. I'm all woman, baby.

I guess the World Series sucks the least. Baseball players have nice asses and wear tight little pants.

Quote:
Can you arrange in order of deservedness of worthiness:
fun murderers
rules lawyers
eugene
schweig
poor people
marylin manson
dave grohl
morticia
will smith
George WH Bush
WEB Dubois
?

Worthy of what? A cupcake or a kick in the head? I'd give W.E.B Dubois the cupcake, but he'd probably just pass it to a poor person. Fun murderers, and rules lawyers need a kick in the pants. George Bush deserves a kick in the head just for wearing crocs, but he is old and it would probably give him a stroke or something, so he gets a pass on account of feebleness.

Quote:
in a doom scenario, which operating system will the aliens pervert to destroy human civilisation?

I must confess, I'm not a Doom player, so I don't know the answer to this.

Quote:
if you came back as a board game character (given your current karma) after death, who would you be?

Quote:
If you were not allowed to reveal the website at which you weave your awesome webbuilding skills, how would ordinary boardgamegeek users be able to appreciate your awesome webbuilding skills?

Beats me. Everything else I've done is private access. Also I don't build websites, at least not in the sense that the dudes here at BGG do. I just install apps and figure out how to use them.

Quote:
As a mother, what message is it that you would want to give all bgg users? "Don't you *even* think about it" doesn't count

Because I'm a mom, people are all the time asking me for game recommendations for kids, when what they really want it validation that Puerto Rico is appropriate for a "bright" 6 year old, so that they can train the kid to play with them. They don't want to hear the truth, which is that they should just buy Puerto Rico for themselves, and get the kid There's a Moose in the House, some 3D chalk and a couple cans of Play Dough.

Kids are not in house substitutes for adult game partners. Let them play Mystery Date and The Game of Life with their friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.