Subject: Ancients versus Ancient Battles Deluxe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Downing
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hello:

Is this Deluxe version measurably better than Bill Banks' tweaked version of the original Ancients game, which is available for free?

Thanks,

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm biased but I believe that it is substantially better. First of all, you've got much better components that you don't have to mount yourself. Secondly, there is a much higher level of decision making that you have to do as a commander (you may not be able to move all of your units all of the time, and must keep formations together to maximize the opportunity to activate units).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the components are quite nice (though I have a thing against round counters). I also like the new command system. I'm not a big fan of the new combat system, but the original CRT can still be used with no fuss -- they've taken some pains to make everything back compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary difference is the alternating activation of units by leader & formations, rather than the old Igo-Ugo. That does change the feel of it, and it's a mechanic I like a lot. Whether it's a better game in your opinion will, I feel, hinge on how you like alternating activation by formation. Marking which units have already acted can be a pain...

Whether the counters are better than home-made depends on how well you make counters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dolan
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I like both, original Ancients can't be beat for its simplicity and functionality. There are optional rules in Ancients which add some nice affects on play. I agree that its CRT is preferable, in my opinion, by a mile. However, its nice to have choices. Never really did take to the counters and have made my own but some people really like the publisher's counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered this game recently. It is my first VPG game I have bought. I need to find a box (no biggie) but I really like the counters and play aids/map. I owned Ancients years ago and I am kinda stuck on the CRT but will try the rules as written first. It may be harder to explain than it is to actually do it. (it seems a lot of wargame rules are like that, imho anyway)

In my experience, good components are needed to get non gamer types to play. Having the rules and everything available on line along with a VASSAL module just makes it that much better.

The best non CRT game I own is Victory at Midway by Ben Knight (and Victory in Normandy by the same). Rolling a d10 hit or miss is just easy. May not fit here but I like the idea of no crt combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the scenarios? Are they the same between the two games? If not, what are the differences?

I own the original Good Industries and 3W versions. I recall that they don't require me to mount the counters. It was also very fun to look at those primitive art on the counters when they are on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls