Subject: More Help For First Time Game - Leader as Link Between Kingdoms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Downing
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hey---

If I place a tile next to a leader, and this results in that leader being the link between 2 kingdoms, is that legal?

Thank you very much in advance...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stealth bummer wrote:
Hey---

If I place a tile next to a leader, and this results in that leader being the link between 2 kingdoms, is that legal?

That's, erm, impossible. There's no way to place a tile that results in a leader being a link between two kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... If you place a tile, then the tile would be the link between the 2 kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, not possible. The tile played will always be the link.

If you are new to the game, try playing here at the Geek. I would be happy to ease you through your first game. If interested, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Downing
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Gilby wrote:
stealth bummer wrote:
Hey---

That's, erm, impossible. There's no way to place a tile that results in a leader being a link between two kingdoms.

Leader-Tile-Tile-BlankSpace-Leader-Tile.

The italics are one kingdom, the bold another. I placed a tile in the underlined "BlankSpace". Does this mean the kingdoms are united? If yes, isn't the leader the link, or is the newly placed tile? Both leaders are the same dynasty...

Thanks,

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tile that you place to cause the link is the linking tile. The leader cannot be the linking tile since it was already on the board when the kingdoms were not linked. This is true regardless of whether the leaders are of the same dynasty or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stealth bummer wrote:
Gilby wrote:
stealth bummer wrote:
Hey---

The italics are one kingdom, the bold another. I placed a tile in the underlined "BlankSpace". Does this mean the kingdoms are united? If yes, isn't the leader the link, or is the newly placed tile? Both leaders are the same dynasty...

Thanks,

Brian

The tile you placed is the link. You cover it with the "conflict marker" (to avoid confusion). After all conflicts are resolved you remove the conflict marker. No matter what the resolution, the linking tile is unscored (and is never counted in conflicts it initiates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to make sense of the rule is to ask: if I place a tile that links two kingdoms, to which kingdom does it belong if the same leaders are in each kingdom? Who get's the VP cube for the placement if it can go in either kingdom? Answer: it is undecided. Therefore, nobody gets the point and you put the conflict tile on top of this linking/undecided tile (and then work out an external conflict).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion is that a leader is part of the kingdom that contains them. So, for example:

tile-leader-empty-leader-tile

is two kingdoms, each with a leader and a tile. If you add a tile in the middle, you have joined them, and you get a single kingdom like:

tile-leader-tile-leader-tile

Now you have a single kingdom with two leaders and three tiles. If the leaders are both the same type (e.g., both are green leaders), then they fight and one loses, which may split the kingdom up again. But when you place that connecting tile, you don't have two or more kingdoms separated by leaders; you have a single kingdom with both leaders and tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
stealth bummer wrote:
Gilby wrote:
stealth bummer wrote:
Hey---

Thanks,

Brian

I see why you asked the question.
In your example, you see that if the second leader is removed, it would split the kingdom; however, that does not make it a linking tile between two kingdoms. A tile is only a linking tile if it joins two unconnected kingdoms at the time it is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.