Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've been thinking about a fast, compact PvP card / dice fighting game, and I need your suggestions....pls don't hate because there's dice rolling! I've tried to bring in an emphasis on choice as well.

So,there are various characters with different special combat/magic abilities, all battling it out against each other in an Enter the Dragon style winner takes all competition.

There's an ATTACK die and DEF die.

When attacking, you have 2 chances to miss,strike or use special ability.
When defending, you have 2 chances to block,2 chances to miss,1 chance to counter or 1 chance you'll be struck with FEAR.
FEAR means your character is losing his nerve in the fight. 3 x FEAR and your character will FLEE.

Each character has a certain amount of life/hit points. If an attacker gets past the defence stage, such as the defender misses, 3 hp will be taken away. For most part, this is a set amount of damage from a 'strike'.

When using special abilities, damage will be higher. To select your ability to use, roll a d6. IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY with the option, then you MAY ROLL ONCE MORE then use this last roll. You may sacrifice the first option, in hopes for a better one.

Each abiliity has a GRADING - A-I - all having different rolling style.

GRADE A - Roll 2 dice - use high die
GRADE B - Roll 3 dice - use high die
GRADE C - Roll 2 dice - add total
GRADE D - Roll 3 dice - if a double is rolled. Add and x 2
(1 reroll avail.)if a triple is rolled. Add and x 2
GRADE E - Att rolls 2 dice - add total
Def rolls 1 dice - minus from Att.
GRADE F - Def must roll a 5/6 to stop attack. Keep adding totals below 5/6
GRADE G - Roll 1 dice - Add total to Att's life, minus same amount from Def's life
GRADE H - Roll 3 dice - must roll 3 consecutive number 1/2/3..2/3/4 etc.
Add total. (1 reroll avail)
GRADE I - Roll 3 dice - must roll 3 low / high numbers 2/2/3..4/4/6 etc.

To show an example, here are two characters:

MAORI WARCHIEF BEASTMASTER
1= Critical hit C 1= Maul B
2= Whirlwind B 2= Trample I
3= Hammer of Tiki E 3= Slingshot A
4= Spear tackle A 4= Summon beast F
5= Heal C 5= Life steal G
6= Ancestor's call 6= ROAR

So far, each character has an ability to strike FEAR by rolling a 6.

There are two ways to win. By killing them, or they flee. I have noticed in the games I've played so far, FEAR plays a big part.

Some of the spells that need a requirement like H / I can be big damage if the rolling is good

So....that's as far as I've got. Using above, you could play a match with these two charaters and see if it works......then let me know what I should change etc. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry

MAORI WARCHIEF
1=Critical hit C
2=Whirlwind H
3=Hammer of Tiki E
4=Spear tackle A
5=Heal C
6=Ancestor's Call

BEASTMASTER
1=Maul B
2=Trample I
3=Slingshot A
4=Summon Beast F
5=Life steal G
6=ROAR

I trying to think of more depth other than we fight...I win...you lose your card....however, marbles seemed to work fine that way??

Perhaps some XP gained with a win...or some other cards that represent +/- to skills can be wagered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to understand your combat system.

The comabt is done with two dice, the attacker has an attack dice and the defender a defence dice.

They roll the dice

Attacker Die outcomes
1 - Strike (3 Damage)
2 - Strike (3 Damage)
3 - Miss
4 - Miss
5 - Special Ability (See character)
6 - special Ability (See Character)

Defender Die Outcome
1 - Block - Stop Strike and Special Ability
2 - Block - Stop Strike and Sprcial Ability
3 - Miss
4 - Miss
5 - Counter - Miss + Defender Roll Attack Dice
6 - Fear - Miss + Gain Fear Token (Flee at 3 fear tokens or some other number appropriate to the character)

Outcomes in terms of the att / def diw roll are always the same probability.

12/36 Attacker Rolls a Miss
08/36 Attacker Hits 4/6 and Defender Blocks 2/6
08/36 Attacker Hits 4/6 and Defender Misses 2/6
04/36 Attacker Hits 4/6 and Defender Gains Fear token 1/6
04/36 Attacker Hits 4/6 and Defender Counters 1/6

Special Ability
Roll D6 against character chart - can reroll once.

Each ability has a GRADING - A to I - all having different rolling style.

GRADE A - Roll 2 dice - use high die (Damage Range 1 - 6)
GRADE B - Roll 3 dice - use high die (Damage Range 1 - 6)
GRADE C - Roll 2 dice - add total (Damage Range 2 - 12)
GRADE D - Roll 3 dice - if a double is rolled. Add and x 2 (Damage Range 6 (1,2,3) to 36 (6,6,6 x2))
(1 reroll avail.)if a triple is rolled. Add and x 2
GRADE E - Att rolls 2 dice - add total
Def rolls 1 dice - minus from Att. (Damage Range -4 to 11)
GRADE F - Def must roll a 5/6 to stop attack. Keep adding totals below 5/6 ( Damage Range 1 - Infinite)
GRADE G - Roll 1 dice - Add total to Att's life, minus same amount from Def's life (Damage Range 2 to X + 6)
GRADE H - Roll 3 dice - must roll 3 consecutive number 1/2/3..2/3/4 etc. (Damage Range 6 - 15)
GRADE I - Roll 3 dice - must roll 3 low / high numbers 2/2/3..4/4/6 etc.
Add total. (1 reroll avail) (Damage Range 3 - 18)

To show an example, here are two characters:

Sorry

MAORI WARCHIEF
1=Critical hit C
2=Whirlwind H
3=Hammer of Tiki E
4=Spear tackle A
5=Heal C
6=Ancestor's Call

BEASTMASTER
1=Maul B
2=Trample I
3=Slingshot A
4=Summon Beast F
5=Life steal G
6=ROAR

There are two ways to win. By killing them, or they flee. I have noticed in the games I've played so far, FEAR plays a big part.

Some of the spells that need a requirement like H / I can be big damage if the rolling is good

So....that's as far as I've got. Using above, you could play a match with these two charaters and see if it works......then let me know what I should change etc. Cheers!

The problem and it is a big problem is that there are no choices to be made based on this current concept.
There is a press your luck for the Special ability but the result of a special ability do not impact on the fight beyond extra damage, getting a special ability use is a matter of luck.

What I think you need to do is use this as a core and step it up.

Characters need to have characteristics that reflect them and differentiate them, are they armoured and slow like a knight or quick and mobile like an assassin? Give them attacks so they can choose which weapon to use.
Have the special abilities weapon specific rather than just in general perhaps. Have the player decide to use a special ability instead of a normal strike and restrict the number of times they can use it a fight or give it a recharge time etc.

I have tried to example the damage range from the special abilities as some of them are getting complicated to provide variety and are perhaps strained.
Give them XP to open up new special abilities as they develop.

My suggestion is you do a step by step review, go through a combat and ask questions such as
- do the dice reflect the chance of the event, is a peasant going to be as good at striking a knight as the other way round and doing the same damage. What about armour for example.
- how do I want the character to activate their special ability. are their specific circumstances that will make it work better.
- For example the Beast Master Summon beast, what does that entail, is the beast as good at fighting as the knight?

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks Mark....I really hoped someone would give me some insight to improving this idea.

The special ability actually bypasses the def phase - but still the luck to roll it applies.

To expand it and give it depth would be great....awesome reply! Thinking cap back on.

Bring on the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.