Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
We stopped into Office Depot to pick up some ink, and took a stroll down the printer aisle to see what they had. We saw a price tag we didn't believe, so we asked an employee if it was correct. He double checked, and confirmed that the Brother MFC 5890cn printer/scanner/copier/fax is indeed $130 after instant rebate. (That's right, Instant! Right there at the register!) It's not even that cheap on their website!
We have already made a couple of rulebooks (bought a long-reach stapler there, too for $25) and we may even use this to print boards.

I probably should have shown a picture of the one next to my game table, but this is a good pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
that's... actually really good... and i used to work at an office depot...

was it on clearance? usually only stuff on clearance is that well priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I have to assume it was on it's way out, but it wasn't marked clearance. The tag on the shelf was yellow, if that means anything to a former employee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listed at $149 after $50 instant rebate on the web site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
yellow tags are the normal sales tags, actually. and really, if it was in the printer aisle, that's probably reason enough to believe it's just a normal sale item (clearance stuff usually goes in a clearance section, hidden in the back of the store).

edit: but yeah, still a good price... 35% off retail means it's probably close to or below cost (most electronics have a small margin). i could be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
any dea what the per page (normal and full saturation) costs would be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
any dea what the per page (normal and full saturation) costs would be?

Quote:
Based on industry-standard ISO measurements, the high-yield black cartridge costs $30 and lasts 900 pages, or 3.3 cents per page--a cost we'd expect more from a standard-size cartridge. The high-yield cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridges each cost $16 and last 750 pages, or 2.1 cents per color, per page. The standard sizes are reasonably priced, except for black: At $23.50 for 450 pages, that's a hefty 5.2 cents per page.

from http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/33088/review/mfc5890c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that it is inkjet kills it for me. Even a tiny bit of moisture will smudge an inkjet print. Once you add together the cost of laminating your prints and the ink, it doesn't seem to be all that great of a deal.

Maybe you have a cheap way of protecting your prints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
The fact that it is inkjet kills it for me. Even a tiny bit of moisture will smudge an inkjet print. Once you add together the cost of laminating your prints and the ink, it doesn't seem to be all that great of a deal.

What kind of large-format non-inkjet printer are you using??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you are just making prototypes they don't have to last forever.

Also there are some cheaper alternatives to laminating. A coating of hairspray. There are also some sprays you can get at hobby stores to seal the printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
KenToad wrote:

Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze
< $3 / can @ Wal-Mao. Turns prototypes into prettytypes tm. [/commercial]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
We stopped into Office Depot to pick up some ink, and took a stroll down the printer aisle to see what they had. We saw a price tag we didn't believe, so we asked an employee if it was correct. He double checked, and confirmed that the Brother MFC 5890cn printer/scanner/copier/fax is indeed $130 after instant rebate. (That's right, Instant! Right there at the register!) It's not even that cheap on their website!
We have already made a couple of rulebooks (bought a long-reach stapler there, too for $25) and we may even use this to print boards.

I probably should have shown a picture of the one next to my game table, but this is a good pic.

Well it is not an HP LaserJet 5550, but it is also $3,000 less than the HP.
Best Buy also has this on sale for $129.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
We snickered as we bought it that the printer was $130, and the set of replacement ink cartridges for it was $80 (Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta.)
As it turned out, the cartridges included with the printer were actually full, (!) so we could have held off on the ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Just a warning note.
I've got a Brother MFC 235C.
2 actually. I am about to disect for the 2nd time and try to clean the printhead.
Non-genuine B,C, and Y are fine but Magenta clogs the printhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
We snickered as we bought it that the printer was $130, and the set of replacement ink cartridges for it was $80 (Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta.)
As it turned out, the cartridges included with the printer were actually full, (!) so we could have held off on the ink.

In many printers these days the included cartridges are a trial size with much less ink than the retail cartridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this scan at 11x17 as well? Hard to tell from the photo/product info. If it does, I'd buy it for $130 just for scanning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

In many printers these days the included cartridges are a trial size with much less ink than the retail cartridges.

Yep, they started doing this after people figured out it was often cheaper to buy a new printer on sale than to replace the ink cartridges in their existing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Price is $129.99 @ Best Buy. I sense a trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
KenToad wrote:

What kind of large-format non-inkjet printer are you using??

I just tile and print all my large format stuff onto full sheet labels and mount them on chipboard, foamcore or cardstock.

11x17 isn't really big enough for most of my board game-related DIY projects anyway, but your sarcasm is not lost on me, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
drewdane wrote:

Quote:
The company also bundles the high-yield versions of its ink cartridges with the machine.

Again from http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/33088/review/mfc5890c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
DaviddesJ wrote:
drewdane wrote:

Hence my surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
subhan wrote:
Does this scan at 11x17 as well? Hard to tell from the photo/product info. If it does, I'd buy it for $130 just for scanning!

It does not... I don't think so, anyhow. It is only slightly larger than a normal all-in-one, except for the large mouth. The copier portion doesn't appear to be any larger, but I am not looking at it right now. I haven't scanned anything yet, so for all I know, it could be a bit larger than 8.5 x 11, but I doubt it will scan as large as 11 x 17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Review from Amazon:
"It can NOT scan 11x17 documents as another review said. I guess that person never looked at it in the store as it's obvious that the scanner glass is only 8.5 by 11 and not 11 by17 like the MFC-6490CW."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
K... Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperious leader wrote:
Brother printers are one step away from an Epson, which means in a week it will require a new drum that will cost you in total what you would have spent buying a real printer from Canon. Cheap people pay twice is the sentiment and lesson you will learn soon enough.

Which ($150) model of Canon printers supports 11 X 17? I have become a fan of Canon, but both of the current Canon's in my house only do 8.5 X 11 (they are good printers though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.