Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a HQ is overrun and must relocate its clear from the example in the rules that it cannot relocate into an enemy ZOC. It has also been clarified that it must be at least 4 spaces closer to a supply source than it was prior to the relocation.

I've understood this to be an instantaneous move.

Must the HQ trace a path, space by space,from the original space for its relocation? If so, I assume it cannot enter enemy ZOCs. If so, how do you handle the situation where the HQ is completely surrounded by ZOC?

I think the way I've been playing is correct, that there is a distinction between a RETREAT (where you must trace a path) and a RELOCATION (which is an instantaneous move).

In the example in the rulebook, there are 4 blue hexes on the other side of impassable water....but the reason those aren't eligible is because they can't trace supply. So if they COULD, I assume they would be eligible (and certainly you can't trace a path there).

Conceptually, I think you're dealing with a small command structure here, so they can more easily avoid capture than larger bodies of troops and can infiltrate their way through the enemy ZOCs during their frantic relocation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If so, how do you handle the situation where the HQ is completely surrounded by ZOC?

That is exactly what is shown in the full color example.

Quote:
...that there is a distinction between a RETREAT (where you must trace a path) and a RELOCATION (which is an instantaneous move).

That is a correct statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
Must the HQ trace a path, space by space,from the original space for its relocation?

NRBH, but as Greg implies, the HQ is picked up and placed back on the board according to the restrictions as written. It doesn't reach its destination by moving from hex to hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's how I've always played....but there was a disagreement in a recent game, despite both referencing the example.

In fact, there is some confusion in the rules as written since the new space needs to be FOUR spaces closer to the supply (not just "closer" which could be one space closer to the supply but 4 spaces from the original site). This was clarified (or actually changed) in rulings from Adam. The previous option allowed some large gaminess in allowing HQs to be overrun on purpose to get more favorable placements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
the new space needs to be FOUR spaces closer to the supply (not just "closer" which could be one space closer to the supply but 4 spaces from the original site). This was clarified (or actually changed) in rulings from Adam.

Do you have a reference for this please? I've always played the rules as written (and as exemplified on the back cover) that the HQ only needs to move (at least one hex) closer, not the full number of hexes closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reference may be to this post by Adam on CSW:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd098d2/3674

Quote:
So if your HQ is relocated 4 hexes, it must be 4 hexes closer to a supply source...so if one is 20 hexes away and another is 26 hexes away, if moved toward the one that is 20 away, it must now be 16 away...if towards the one 26 away, it must be now 22 away....

if you wish, the "spirit" of the rule is to prevent a popped HQ from moving so it is in a better position then it was before the relocate. Also, the rule is to facilitate PBeM play somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe this was referred to as a 'clarification' but the way I read the rulebook its a flat out change from what's stated there (and more specifically, what's portrayed in the example).

The new interpretation works better for the game, though, so I welcome it. This is also how the PBEM tournament was played a couple years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/159477

Since the CSW link won't work for me, here's this. When reading this thread, bear in mind that Pat Hirtle deleted his account and people are replying to things he said which are no longer in the thread. But Adam's explanation is clear, and is authoritative enough for most purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.