Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a solo run through of 'Waterloo' last night and I have one question regarding the elimination of units due to an 'E' result on the Morale Check table. The rule states that when an 'E' result occurs the unit is removed from play. Do the damage cubes attached to the unit at the time of the morale check also get removed or do they stay in the area?

I had a situation where I had 2 units with a total of 6 damage cubes (3 each) One unit got an 'E' result. If the unit was removed without it's damage cubes then they would automatically transfer to the other unit and it would also be eliminated for having 6 damage.

I can see the logic in both results. Removing the damage cubes with the eliminated unit would simulate one unit running, whereas the other unit stands its ground and continues to fight. If the damage cubes transfer this would simulate the second unit fleeing in panic when it sees it's friends disintegrating.

Any ideas?

Cheers ... Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since at the time of any morale check you must have allocated the damage cubes in the area among your infantry units in that area, I made the assumption that the eliminated unit would take the damage cubes assigned to it away when it is removed from the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Inacio
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the example on top of page 11 of the rules book. You eliminate the unit along with the damage cubes assingned to it prior to the morale check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice guys. I suppose it makes sense anyway, as eliminating 2 units with one morale roll would be a bit too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I failed to make this more explicit in the rules. When a unit is eliminated all damage cubes assigned to it are also removed.

Hope that is clear.

Martin Wallace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin, it's clear that you could assign 5 damage cubes to one unit for morale check purposes (thus effectively writing it off in many cases.)

Is it legal to assign 6 damage cubes to a unit when a morale check happens (thus eliminating it)? Or is 5 the limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Inacio
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 13: Useful stuff to know - part 3.4th paragraph:"The controlling player can assign up to five damage cubes to an infantry unit"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.