JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Monday everyone, lets talk about what we hoped to play, and what we actually got on the table over the weekend.

Saturday was a good day for gaming. Our budding gaming friends came down for the day for gaming and grilling. I unfortunately am suffering from a awesome crippling case of gout, so it ended up being gaming and pizza.

We started off with a quick game of Blokus, I think I ended up winning that, though I was the only one who had played it before, so its not *much* of a victory. I think everyone enjoyed it though.

Then it was onto our second (their first) game of Infernal Contraption, which my wife ended up winning, after she ground our parts piles into oblivion.

Then it was on to Sequence, which was my wife's and my first time play, so we split up since our friends were sequence experts. My team ended up taking two rounds out of three, even though the other team was sure they "had it on lockdown" the last two rounds.

I think (I gotta start keeping notes.) then we played a rousing game of Cranium: The Family Fun Game, couples style. IIRC the wife and I ended up winning, but mostly because they had horrible luck getting stuck on creative Cat for the rest of the game, after they flew through half of the board on their first couple turns.

Then it was on to an Ingenious rematch from last weekend. My wife won, which I think she was pretty happy about, and MSIMagus's fiancee and I were tied for last.

Then I think the girls went to pick up some pizza reinforcements, so MSIMagus and I played Dominion, which I had never played before. I really enjoyed it, and I will probably be picking it up so I can try to get my wife to play it.

I think that may have been it for the night, by then the kids were in bed, and we all sat down and watched a couple Louis C.K. Dvds before they headed out for the drive home.

All in all it was a fun day, they brought some awesome mini cheesecake things down with them which were awesome, and we got some decent gaming in.

Sunday was a complete wash for gaming, as we were trying to get everything ready for my son's birthday party. I tried to convince my wife to try out Bohnanza which I had just gotten in the mail saturday, but she was too tired to learn a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played 2 player games of Bohnanza, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries and Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde. Been working all weekend, so we just squeezed in some simple games to relax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good weekend of gaming. I finally played Wings of War: Burning Drachens against a live opponent (twice!). This was nice since I bought it mainly because you can play it solo. I also played two games of Memoir '44.

I know Thursday doesn't really count as the weekend, but we had a friend visit from out of town that night and she introduced us to Qwirkle and we introduced her to Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduced some non boardgamers to Pandemic and they had a blast even though the game beat us (by 1 stinking card).

I have A Victory Lost set up on the table.

not as much gaming as I would like, but that is OK it was a good weekend none the less cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hmmmm I think you covered it. Amanda wasnt in the mood to play anything yesterday. I pushed for a game of Agricola but she said maybe Tuesday. So I spent the day playing a little Lost Cities on my DS, little Carc on the computer and a lot of non board games on my DS as well while she laid and watched movies.

Again thanks for having us bud and looking forward to doing it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday Night after Krav Maga practice I played a game of Pickomino and one game of Sushizock im Gockelwok which I both won (pickomino with 14-0).

We were planning to play sushizock a few times, but my girlfriend got upset when she pulled the -4 from my pile* Well, maybe she got upset because I started laughing really loud. I tried to explain that I was laughing at the situation, not at her...but that didn't help much.

Saturday was slower as we had to visit some friends for a birthday (one of the presents we gave was pickomino. We try to infect as much as we can) but we managed to play two games of Mr. Jack that we just bought last Thursday. I helped my girlfriend the first game (I was Mr. Jack) by explaining to her what she wanted to do and what she needed to take into account. She caught me in round 5. Next game I was the investigator and she won again and made me look like an idiot because I was all 'now honey, playing Jack is much harder than investigator.' She was miss Stealthy and got out in round 4.

Sunday was another chance to get pummeled. We played three games of Blokus Duo in which I didn't have a chance.

Last week I went on about wanting to play Arkham Horror and I decided to put my foot down.

'I'm gonna play Arkham Horror!'
-'Go right ahead, I'm gonna watch a movie)

So there I sat, all alone But I had a blast and I won. First time I played Arkham Horror: The King in Yellow Expansion. I just shuffled the cards in the standard decks and played without the herald. Three investigators (Ashcan, Doctor and Private Eye)

I won due to some huge luck (got two elder sign cards and a spell for the doctor which allowed him to return to Arkham during movement **) but it was fun. Next Time I'll play KiY all the way.

Next weekend will be a six day weekend for me, hoping to get a lot of gaming going on.

* We play with a small house rule for Sushizock: you throw three sticks you can get the top tile, you throw 4 sticks you can choose a tile without looking, 5 sticks and you can look through the pile.

** It just occured to me that the spell to return to Arkham might not enable me to close/seal a gate. Perhaps it doesn't count as explored. Will look into this. EDIT: According to this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/175532 I played it correctly, thus I righteously beat Ithaqua.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
First time to the table with my new copy of Small World, then some Dominion and a game of Nefertiti. Also played a couple games of Vegas Showdown on Gametable online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Friday was a really busy day for both my wife and I. But by early evening we sat down to a game of Pandemic! Very enjoyable!
Followed by 3 rounds of Sorry Sliders, which we had just enough energy to play before sleep called us!

Sunday, was our planned game day! It kinda fell through! My wife came down with a case of food poisoning from our meal at the Outback Saturday! And one of our planned gaming guests was vomiting all Saturday night apparently! By late Sunday afternoon just my wife and I managed a game of Have You Herd? and Ubongo. Although I am not a fan of the game, we also finished up with Starfarers of Catan (one of her favorites)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend was Family Time so we played Tayu, Villa Palletti, Nacht Die Magier, Scrabble and Barbarosaa.

My wife mentioned that she would like to get Clay to Win as she enjoyed that one more than Barbarossa. SO if anyone has the rules or a a copy to sell/trade let me know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night, Justin and I played a tense game of Dan Verssen's Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare, in which Justin's Russian fleet finally overwhelmed my outgunned British fleet with the help of two Bomber Strike cards! I believe the final score was something in the neighborhood of 31-10, with 8 of his points coming on the final turn when his Backfire bombers sent four of my destroyers to the bottom.

We then followed that up with a great game of Memoir '44: Eastern Front, in which we played the Stalingrad Factory Complex scenario. My Germans were able to breach Justin's Russian defenses to claim a portion of the complex and eliminate a pesky artillery position for a nail-biting 10-9 victory.

On Saturday, we had a good five player session of History of the World. The game lasted just over four hours, and Mike used the British to score an impressive 58 points in Epoch Seven to overtake Tim for the overall victory with a score of 209, versus Tim at 197, and the rest of us fairly close behind. We haven't played this game that much, and strategies continue to evolve and emerge, but everyone agreed HotW is a great multiplayer conflict game.

In summary, a great, great weekend of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Magic Realm... What a difficult game to understand, especially when you play a character (the druid) that you have no idea how you can do anything! We had great fun however, and since I've came back home and rated it a solid 5, I've been kinda obsessed with this game, trying to understand it better for the next time, which I hope will happen anytime soon!

After this game, we went on to a heavy at the first look, but super simple and interesting one! Win, Place & Show is a fun game of money management and horse racing! Full of random, which makes it a great end night party game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
2 x

1 x

1 x

and
1 x 3-13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming at GMT Games West - 17 games!

Games played, in order:
Manoeuver, Manoeuver, Twilight Struggle, Twilight Struggle, Manoeuver, Successors, Hill 218, Hill 218, Hill 218, Cold war: KGB vs. CIA, Wilderness War (Campaign), Down in Flames, Down in Flames, Dominion, Dominion, Wilderness War (A.M.), Down in Flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
This weekend I played with my acquaintance not friend game group. (They will hopefully become a friend not acquaintance group). We got two games in. The first was Chicago Express and Galaxy Trucker. My session reports are

Galaxy Trucker
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3392179

Chicago Express

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3392086
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I visited a couple of friends that we don't get to see very often, so the four of us spent an afternoon hanging out and playing games.

First up was Betrayal at the House on the Hill, which our hosts had played but my wife and I were new to. I liked the house-building dynamic, and it seems like every game will go differently, which keeps things fresh. I did notice that until the haunting occurs, the players are pretty much on their own, and anything I did had no real effect on anyone else. The particular haunting we got seemed to be heavily skewed against the traitor (my wife), too, but I'd have to play more to decide whether the game has real balance issues.

Our friends hadn't played Pandemic yet, and we'd been wanting to try a four-player game. Since we had two newbies, we decided to play the "easy" mode with only four Epidemics in the deck. The game plays a bit differently with more people, and we found that the individual Roles are much more important. As the Dispatcher, I spent most of my actions each turn shuttling people around the map. Likewise with the Researcher; most of his turns consisted of slinging cards out to the other players. We won pretty handily, and I kind of wish we'd started on the "normal" difficulty. The game seemed to be a hit, and we're looking forward to trying it with more Epidemics in the deck next time.

At this point we wanted to play a quick filler game or two, so next up was On the Dot, which I had picked up before the weekend. We were all new to this odd little puzzle-solving game, so it took a few rounds before we got the hang of it. My wife wasn't a big fan of this one (she complained that she had to play against three engineers), but at least the games are short. The rest of us enjoyed it for what it was -- a quick little time-waster with no real player interaction.

Since the group was divided over the previous game, we broke out one of my wife's favorites, Apples to Apples, for a bit. I am terrible at this game, but it's always fun either way. Something "Adorable"? How about "Chainsaws"! Our hosts own several custom cards with lots of inside jokes (which we're mostly in on, fortunately) so our game generated a lot more laughs than usual.

We decided to continue with our streak of lighter games with a couple of rounds of Bausack Noir. Not much to say about it -- we'd all played before, so we stacked up our towers and spent most of each game trying to screw over our fellow players with oddly shaped blocks. Always fun.

The girls both had things to do, so my friend Bill and I opted for a two-player game to finish off the night. He suggested BattleLore, which I'd never played before but was interested in trying. It was about what I expected: a very light wargame with simple combat (I was reminded of Heroscape). We played a starter campaign (Battle of Agincourt) and didn't add in any of the expansion elements. I took on the role of the English, and managed to eke out a very close win by being incredibly lucky with my archers' attack rolls in the first couple of rounds, taking out most of my opponent's cavalry before they could get in range. I enjoyed our battle, but it didn't seem deep enough with just the basic rules -- at least with Heroscape, each unit has unique stats and special abilities. It sounds like the game will be more interesting if we try it with the more advanced rules and start adding in magic and expansions.

Everyone had a great time overall (excepting my wife's distinct dislike for On the Dot), and it reminded me why I got into this hobby into the first place. Hopefully we'll get another chance to do this again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Memoir 44 * 3, It's my new gateway game with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Game started Saturday, at 7:00 PM, Broke up at 5:00 AM!
Slept past noon on sunday.
English (eric) Victory, I played France. I got close to winning after circumnavigating the world and taking Barcelona, but the #*%# Hapsburgs, Papacy, and English ganged up on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played soccer and drinking beer.

My game night is wednesday (incidentally, last wednesday I played Magic: The Gathering. I hope to teach my friends Nexus Ops sometime here in the near future.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended a local gaming con, you can see what I and others played here:Geekway to the West 2009 - The Meta Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I got to play a couple of games at the "Give to Games" charity event.

This fist game I got a chance to play was Jason Matthew's new prototype Founding Fathers. It's a CDG inline with that of 1960 and Twilight Struggle. The cool part about it was that it is multiplayer(2-5). This is a big plus for myself, as I really don't play many 2P games. SO besides like Manifest Destiny, this is great. If you are a fan of TS or 1960, I'm sure you'll dig this one without a doubt. Jeff Anderson's brother Scott taught the game. It was a fairly solid game, with just a few rules that I think need to be answered, but it didn't break the game for us.

Then of course I got a heavily contested 4 player game of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. It was a crazy game as till up to the 3rd era, I was tromping everyone. By the start of the third era, I had over 100 points ahead of Jeffles. But I had a critical flaw, I didn't make any labs, as they were always gone before I could reach them. In the third era, I was research weak. This took me from first in military to last. At this point Jeff took advantage of that an bumped his military up too nearly max. Then hit me with a couple of NASTY aggressions, that killed me. Luckily, I knew he was aiming at pulling a war out fairly late in the game, So I ended up having to empty the deck as quick as possible. WHich worked as the last round ended before he had a chance to declare war.

But at that point, my point generator was killed by the loss of all my theaters, and when the Era III VP's came out, I just didn't pick much up. And two pleople passed my up, with Jeffles who was in dead last and a 100 points behind, zipped by me for the win. Well played Jeffles!

Two words of wisdom. NEVER get behind in military, and NEVER ignore research.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Dominion
Cosmic Encounter
Space Alert
Arkham Horror (Chapter 6 AH League game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my kids for the weekend. Since I got a Wii boardgaming has some serious competition for their gaming attention. But we still played:

Black Sheep

My daughter likes this one (cute animals help), and for the first time she played on her own, rather than wanting to team up with me against her brother.

Pick Picknic

Kids also played this without me - definitely a favourite.

Qwirkle

Only with my daughter - my son isn't so keen on this one.

Tonga Bonga

Both like this one - although my daughter hasn't really grasped the strategy. She always ends up finishing first, but comes last because she offers wages that are too high.

Oh, and played a few theme decks of Magic: The Gathering with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three more games of Command and Colors: Ancients.
We are playing all the official published scenarios in chronological order at least twice and switching sides. After starting off 2 and 12, I've won 23 of the last 41 games (including 8 of the last 9) to check in at 25 and 30 overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Bridge on Friday night, then a full game of Through the Ages on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a few games I haven't played before:

Citadels - I liked this quite a bit. It takes a little while to figure out what all the roles do, but once you understand that the game is pretty easy to play. I'd definitely play this again.

Unnamed Object - Great easy game for a group of people. Easy to teach, and fun for pressing your luck.

Also put in an order for a new batch of games:
Space Alert (preorder)
Galaxy Trucker
Dominion
Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.