Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to let slip at work last week, that I'd spent the previous weekend at a boardgame convention (Baycon) playing boardgames shake. I got some odd comments, but decided to take it a step further and offered to bring some in on our next charity dress-down day as a kind of show-and-tell. They agreed! So on Friday week, I'll be bringing a handful of games in so people can see for themselves.
I won't have a lot of space to set them up, and I doubt any will get played, but I may have time to demonstrate a sample turn or two.
I was thinking of maybe
1 big board game (TTR-Europe or El Grande.),
1 tile game (Settlers, Carcassonne or Alhambra),
1 card game (Bohnanza or Lost Cities)
and 1 dice game (probably Pickomino - I don't have too many dice games)

if anyone has any suggestions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro has gone over really well with gamers and non-gamers alike. No reading, minimal rules, beautiful components... we got a lot of people coming over to watch, and they jumped into the second game. Plays 2-8.

Aquädukt is a simple tile laying/building game without hidden information, so it's easier to demonstrate and explain. Also has a cool d20.

Ringgz is a colorful abstract, and available at your local Barnes & Noble. If you get it online, check out the 20% off coupon I just posted.

SET would allow everyone to watch and jump in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Tsuro has gone over really well with gamers and non-gamers alike. No reading, minimal rules, beautiful components... we got a lot of people coming over to watch, and they jumped into the second game. Plays 2-8.

Aquädukt is a simple tile laying/building game without hidden information, so it's easier to demonstrate and explain. Also has a cool d20.

Ringgz is a colorful abstract, and available at your local Barnes & Noble. If you get it online, check out the 20% off coupon I just posted.

SET would allow everyone to watch and jump in.

Thanks for the suggestions, although I wasn't planning on buying a new game just for this (and I don't think we have B&N in the UK anyway).
Thinking about the "watch and jump in" suggestion, I might pack Ricochet Robots.
And you've reminded me that I haven't included an abstract game. I might have to see if I can borrow Blokus or Ingenious from a friend.

I was thinking of setting the games up in a "half-way-through" position, to demonstrate (and let people try) a sample move. I thought this might be better than just displaying the games, or having a start position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.