Popular Tags: [View All]
Elizabeth Chapman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My husband and I have recently purchased:

Carcassonne
Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders

What would be the next logical expansion or expansions to pick up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of Traders & Builders, but IMHO, I think every basic Carcassonne set should have Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals
It's just a must have! But then we all have different tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dimitroff
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Right now I am feeling very: turbed, pirited, heveled, combobulated, and not tinguished, so don't you dare "dis" me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the next expansion you should get is Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thirded. Inns and Cathedrals is my favorite. It's simple but it really makes the base game come alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
in my opinion base game, inns & cathedrals and traders & builders is the most ideal way to play the game. It adds a lot of strategy and quite a bit of depth and thought without adding THAT much more complexity to the game.

It also doesn't have the wonky "Watch all your old strategies crumble" like certain other expansions (Abbey and Mayor is the worst for this...)

I could also suggest the river expansion (the river 2 with the split in the river)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals feels like it was a part of the original game they forgot to put in the box. No doubt it's a must have. What makes it for me is the double roles of the Cathedral and Inn tiles. They increase the value of completed features, but render incomplete features worthless at game end. If you're a fan of sabotage then this will be a nice addition to your game. Stealing a feature with your big meeple is always satisfying as well.

I also agree with Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders. Again, sabotage can be rewarding when you lock up an opponent's builder early with a well placed tile.

The Carcassonne: The Mini Expansion is only tiles, and they're pretty interesting configurations. Past that, YMMV. Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor is the most interesting to me after those, but I haven't tried to incorporate the rules from that one yet.

I have all of the expansions and haven't played with the rules for half of them. I set aside the river 1 & 2 pieces, and spread the rest of the tiles face down on the table. Whatever fits in the tower gets used and the rest go in the bag from T&B. I like not knowing if the piece you're holding out for is in the mix or not.

I should mention that while I enjoy an evil game of Carc, the suggested expansions play very well in a less confrontational game. I'm much less likely to steal a city from my six year old, and use the tiles to boost my own score rather than hinder his progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to drive it home: Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals is an excellent expansion and should be considered essential.

The mini-expansions are fun but there isn't that much to talk about. You should only get the tower for the tower itself, not the extra bits&rules, they are completely unrelated to the base game. Especially if you play with 2 most of the time.

Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor was just release recently in the Netherlands so I haven't tried that one yet...might pick it up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll reinforce others' advice for getting Inns & Cathedrals as well, as it supports play with another player, which is often useful, and the use of the "double or nothing" aspect of the new tiles can be fine.

Otherwise, I'd suggest not getting any others, or even if you do, add only 1 or 2 of them to any game.

We made the mistake of 1) getting a lot of expansions, and 2) adding all those expansions' special tiles to the tile mix even for games where we weren't playing with the expansion rules. What happened was what used to take about 30-45 minutes to play a satisfying game now took almost an hour and a half to play a long, dull game. Don't tile-pollute yourself in other words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the tile pollution statement. We'll either use only half of the tower for a shorter game or play Carcassonne: The City instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Inns & Cathedrals is the next expansion you could get. I'm not sure that anything beyond that is necessary. I'm thinking of filtering mine down a bit before we play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually created a geeklist poll to collect wider community opinions on all the Carcassonne expansions and variants. If you checked out the poll results on the list

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41862

that would give you a pretty broad cross-section of how the BGG folks feel about the different expansions and a good starting place to read specific reviews.

B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lizzie12 wrote:
My husband and I have recently purchased:

Carcassonne
Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders

What would be the next logical expansion or expansions to pick up?

I think Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders and the two primary and best ones. The rest seem like milking the franchise to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Chapman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks so much for all the responses. I really appreciate it! I'm getting the feeling that some people might think 'Inns & Cathedrals' is a good idea, but I'm not positive. The recommendations were just too vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lizzie12 wrote:
Wow, thanks so much for all the responses. I really appreciate it! I'm getting the feeling that some people might think 'Inns & Cathedrals' is a good idea, but I'm not positive. The recommendations were just too vague. :p

You could go for Cathedrals & Inns instead, of course :p

(and yes, I do agree that the two main expansions are I&C and T&B - I only use these two)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Chondroulis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Trying to find time to play...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the next logical expansion to get but if you want to totally change the way you play Carcassonne, then you should get The Princess & the Dragon. The enthusiasm for this game will grow again. This is how it worked for me. Actually my first expansion was Traders & Builders and then i got the dragon just to try something different. We had lot of fun with my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Cult, Siege and Creativity is fairly new and is one we were happy to add. Gives a bit of an equalizer for those folks who always seem to draw all of the Cloisters... and the Siege is good against those who's sole strategy is build the biggest most obnoxious city to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to toss out the (possibly) pragmatic solution, but why not pick up the Big Box (two), which has almost all the expansions, I believe, bundled within?

When I was pricing out Carcassonne -- and I did not even have the basic game -- I saw the price differential between the base game and the Big Box tended to range between $10.00 and $15.00. Considering how much an expansion costs, it just made good sense to buy that giant mofo of a box.

Obviously, the numbers change if (as I'm realizing as I type this) you probably have the main game and are *just* looking for expansions. But still, it might be worth pricing it out before buying everything piecemeal.

Now, as far as which ones you should include in regular play . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.