Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I played Escape From Atlantis, the other players and I joked that you should be able to push the other players' Atlanteans out of a boat and into the sea. I was later inspired to scribble down notes for a (totally unnecessary) event deck, because I love random events that create oodles of chaos...Keeps you on your toes. Note that I designed these cards for my particular set, which is the 1996 Waddington's edition. My game is modified a bit already: per the designer's post on his original intentions, I use the rule that the game ends when the central land piece is removed, and whirlpools only destroy things in the sea. Furthermore, I added point values to each of the Atlanteans, but I haven't made any reference to these values so far.

These ideas are 100% untested as of now, and my wording might be imperfect. Let me know what you think.

Event Deck Variant For Escape From Atlantis

Draw one card from an event deck for every round (every round meaning all players have taken a turn). Below are the cards' text:

1. Helpful mermaids
Leave this card face up until the next event card is drawn, then discard it.
Helpful mermaids allow each player to move any or all of his/her swimmers an extra space. This move does not count towards the usual move limit. Otherwise, these moves are made as normal, during a player's move phase. A non-swimmer who becomes a swimmer for whatever reason during a turn may still take advantage of this free move (provided the player's turn hasn't passed).

2-4. Nothing happens (a):
Nothing happens. Discard any face-up event cards.

5-6. Nothing happens (b):
Nothing happens. Do NOT discard a face-up event card for this event card draw. If there is a previous face-up card, it remains in effect.

7. Fast Dolphins:

Swimmers moving with dolphins may use up to 3 moves instead of the usual limit of 1. Additionally, it costs only 1 move to move up to 2 spaces! Therefore, a swimmer moving with a dolphin could potentially move 6 spaces in one turn.

Furthermore, during the creature movement phase of the turn, if a dolphin is rolled, double the number rolled. Dive remains the same.

8. Mutiny in the air:
A player may, during his turn, spend a move to assume total control of a ship. How this works: Any ship that a player can choose to move (i.e. equal or majority control) may push any/all of the other Atlanteans sharing the ship into the sea. They are now swimmers, placed in the same space as the ship.

9. Blood in the water:
Leave this card face up until the next event card is drawn, then discard it. For each Atlantean who is killed for whatever reason, place a shark in its place.

10. Poseidon's breath:
Leave this card face up until the next event card is drawn, then discard it. Players may move a ship either 1 or 2 spaces per each move spent on moving a ship.

11. Poseidon's fury:
Leave this card face up until the next event card is drawn, then discard it. Players may not move any ship. All swimmers drown immediately. Any non-swimmer who becomes a swimmer while this card is face up drowns immediately.

12. Dive! Dive!
Leave this card face up until the next event card is drawn, then discard it. Do not roll the numbered movement die while this card is face up. Treat each creature movement as a "dive".

13. Sleepy sea monsters:
Leave this card face up until the next event card is drawn, then discard it. Sea monsters may not move this round. If a sea monster is rolled on the movement die, nothing moves.

14. The stars are right:
If this card is face up when an octopus hex tile is revealed, The Great Cthulhu has arisen from the deep! Do not place an octopus as usual - instead place a Cthulhu figure so that one of the hexes occupied by Cthulhu is in the same location as the tile that was flipped. Cthulhu occupies seven hexes - a central hex plus all six adjacent hexes. Any Octopus move die that is rolled may be used to move Cthulhu instead of an Octopus. All ships, creatures, Atlanteans and lands in any hex occupied OR adjacent to Cthulhu are immediately destroyed. If the citadel located in the center of Atlantis is destroyed by Cthulhu, the game is over. Atlanteans who have reached the shore are safe from Cthulhu.

15. Pirates: TBA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun, I'll have to give this a go. Finished the pirates yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for the interest. I still haven't had the chance to test my deck, so I'd love to hear your feedback. I imagine the number of "nothing happens" events should be altered to taste.

No, I haven't come up with a way to make pirates work. I feel they should involve plundering treasure, but this game has no treasure...

Maybe we could make treasure. It could perhaps be implemented as a counter (or counters) that when carried to shore gives the player points. The details would need to be worked out.

Another separate idea I had is "Sirens". Randomly decide which player gets to place a sirens token in any one sea hex (a die roll is fine). During each player's movement phase, each male Atlantean that is adjacent to the sirens must spend a move either swimming to the sirens (if a swimmer), or jumping out of the ship (if in a ship). The normal limit of three moves per turn still applies. If there are more than three adjacent males, then choose which three will move. Any male Atlantean in the same space as the sirens token is immediately killed.

I suppose the sirens token would disappear when the event card is discarded - this might not be much time for them to do much damage however. We'd have to see it in action. Could always make them disappear after three full rounds, or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fetty
United States
Harrison Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
How can you not be a fan.
mbmbmbmbmb
I turn the event deck into an event chart less work and just as much fun and added treasure and pirates. Just about any number counter can be used as a treasure counter; one side needs to be blank.

Atlantis Event Chart
Roll 2D6 Dice

2. Helpful mermaids
Helpful mermaids allow each player to move any or all of his/her swimmers an extra space. This move does not count towards the usual move limit. Otherwise, these moves are made as normal, during a player's move phase. A non-swimmer who becomes a swimmer for whatever reason during a turn may still take advantage of this free move.

3. Poseidon's Breath:
Players may move a ship either 1 or 2 spaces per each move spent on moving a ship.

4. Fast Dolphins:
Swimmers moving with dolphins may use up to 3 moves instead of the usual limit of 1. Additionally, it costs only 1 move to move up to 2 spaces! Therefore, a swimmer moving with a dolphin could potentially move 6 spaces in one turn.
Furthermore, during the creature movement phase of the turn, if a dolphin is rolled, double the number rolled. Dive remains the same.

5. Mutiny at Sea:
A player may, during his turn, spend a move to assume total control of a ship. How this works: Any ship that a player can choose to move (i.e. equal or majority control) may push any/all of the other Atlanteans sharing the ship into the sea. They are now swimmers, placed in the same space as the ship.

6. Blood in the water:
For each Atlantean who is killed for whatever reason this, place a shark in its place.

7. Treasure chest:
You find a treasure chest draw a random treasure token and place it face down in your play area, this token can only be taken away from you by pirates. The amount on the treasure token is added victory points at the end of the game.

8. Poseidon's fury:
Players may not move any ship. All swimmers drown immediately. Any non-swimmers who becomes a swimmer this turn is drowns immediately.

9. Dive! Dive!
Do not roll the numbered movement die this turn. Just the sea monster’s die; treat each sea monster movement as a "dive".

10. Sleepy sea monsters:
Sea monsters may not move this round. If a sea monster is rolled on the movement die, nothing moves.

11. The stars are aligned:
If this event is rolled when an octopus is revealed, The Great Cthulhu has arisen from the deep! Do not place an octopus as usual - instead place a Cthulhu figure so that one of the hexes occupied by Cthulhu is in the same location as the tile that was flipped. Cthulhu occupies seven hexes - a central hex plus all six adjacent hexes. Any Octopus move die that is rolled may be used to move Cthulhu instead of an Octopus. All ships, creatures, Atlanteans and lands in any hex occupied by Cthulhu are immediately destroyed. If Cthulhu destroys the citadel located in the center of Atlantis, the game is over. Atlanteans who have reached the shore are safe from Cthulhu. There can only be one Cthulhu on the board at a time.

12. Pirates:
Lose a random treasure token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Looks great Mike, thanks for posting.

Incidently, while coupling the events to the dice rolls, did you take into account the uneven distribution of 2-12 on a Pair of D6?

EDIT: I figure you did, since pirates should come up less often than treasure chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think Cthulhu should be a 2 or 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
NeonPeon wrote:
I would think Cthulhu should be a 2 or 12.
Yes, too many Cthulhus is never a good sign.

I am designing cards to use in a free dice-rolling app (has card deck option) to prevent that problem. I will consolidate your rules (incl. Sirens, excl. No Event) and the Pirates (Treasure works as No Event) from Mike. Stay tuned.

Teaser card...
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4074869/der-das
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
The cards are ready, the diceset package is built and being tested on my phone.

Info about the Android app that I have testing this cardset can be found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1380981/android-custom-imag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
The cards are ready, the diceset package is built and being tested on my phone.

Info about the Android app that I have testing this cardset can be found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1380981/android-custom-imag...

Awesome! Exciting to see this come to life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Glad you appreciate the cards. meeple

I also like the idea of events mixing play up in this game. Especially when events relate to the theme, this improves the whole atmosphere. Have you been able to test your rules since you posted them? I feel that tweaking is needed here and there.

Mike, I have made some changes to your pirates/treasure rules to reduce required components. Since the tokens are random, I think the Movement Die can be used for this instead of specifically numbered tokens. The only difference now is that treasure is open information. It shouldn't matter when playing with numbered Atlanteans.
These rules also merge the "Nothing Happens" events into them.

Proposal:

7. Treasure Chest:
You've found a treasure chest. Roll the movement die (1/1/2/2/3/D), the number is the treasure value. When rolling the "D", you will receive the same treasure value as the highest roll among the other players.
Treasure can only be taken away from you by pirates. The amount of treasure is added victory points at the end of the game, 3 treasure trades for 1 VP. Ties are broken with any remaining treasure.

Discard the Treasure Chest card and any face up event cards. Nothing else happens, except that Atlantis is still sinking of course.

12. Pirates!
You've encountered pirates and they've come to claim treasure! Roll the movement die (1/1/2/2/3/D), the number is the treasure value lost. When rolling the "D", you will lose the same treasure value as the lowest roll among the other players.

Discard the Pirates card but do NOT discard any previous face up event card. The previous face up card remains in effect. If there wasn't one active, then draw a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I tested it just once, years ago...I ought to play this game more - haha. Feel free to make any modifications as you see fit. I'd be interested in hearing about what does and doesn't work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.