Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: My racist vending machine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to get a snack from the vending machine, but it just wouldn't take my last quarter. I swapped it out for another quarter and it worked fine.

The rejected quarter was for Puerto Rico (as part of the 50-states + US territories program of the last 10 years). What does the vending machine have against the 'Rico?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It lost all of its cred after dropping from #1.
30 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
What does the vending machine have against the 'Rico?


The rejection was deserved. It's nothing but a two bit coin.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Wait, there's really a place called Puerto Rico? Huh.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is where the party ends, I can't stand here listening to you and your...
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:

Wait, there's really a place called Puerto Rico? Huh.


Wow, I hope you're kidding.

Or very very very young.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is odd. I was trying to see if the Puerto Rico quarters differed in chemical composition in some way, because most vending machines pay attention to weight and chemical composition to decide if your coin is valid or not, but it looks to be on par with other quarters according to the U.S. Mint website.

All right, this time I will allow you your unfounded accusation.

Love,
Erik
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Wow, I hope you're kidding.


Please note avatar...and history of 1,000s of sarcastic responses on this site.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
That is odd. I was trying to see if the Puerto Rico quarters differed in chemical composition in some way, because most vending machines pay attention to weight and chemical composition to decide if your coin is valid or not, but it looks to be on par with other quarters according to the U.S. Mint website.
When I've had vending machines not like a particular coin, I always assume that it was an issue of the sensor being aligned weird. So it either doesn't notice the coin ridges (on a quarter or dime) or thinks it's too shiny, etc. I'll try to track which coins it rejects.

It might be worth a try for you (Erik) to see if said vending machine will take the quarter now at the start of a new transaction. Vending machines are a fickle lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
eggplantia5 wrote:
That is odd. I was trying to see if the Puerto Rico quarters differed in chemical composition in some way, because most vending machines pay attention to weight and chemical composition to decide if your coin is valid or not, but it looks to be on par with other quarters according to the U.S. Mint website.
When I've had vending machines not like a particular coin, I always assume that it was an issue of the sensor being aligned weird. So it either doesn't notice the coin ridges (on a quarter or dime) or thinks it's too shiny, etc. I'll try to track which coins it rejects.

It might be worth a try for you (Erik) to see if said vending machine will take the quarter now at the start of a new transaction. Vending machines are a fickle lot.

I like to think it's dependent on the velocity of the coin. If I can slam the coin in fast enough I can enjoy chocolaty goodness.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did your "quarter" look like this?

13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought Puerto Rico was a game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always this method

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Puerto Rico quarter only works if you have a "colonist" assigned to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:


Wow, I hope you're kidding.

Or very very very young.


Young Master Firestone IV has been raised by the patrons of BGG's Chit Chat forum, and he is now nearly four years old. His precociousness is remarkable for someone who has been raised entirely in a games closet and fed a steady diet of pulped meeples and condensation from a nearby cold water pipe.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:


Wow, I hope you're kidding.

Or very very very young.


Young Master Firestone IV has been raised by the patrons of BGG's Chit Chat forum, and he is now nearly four years old. His precociousness is remarkable for someone who has been raised entirely in a games closet and fed a steady diet of pulped meeples and condensation from a nearby cold water pipe.


Please. He had bits of potato chips and pretzels as well. There were usually plenty of crumbs after game night. Usually there were even drops, yes MULTIPLE drops of Mountain Dew, if he would have TAKEN THE TIME to hold it up and let the sweet nectar of life drop to his churlish lips. Lousy ungrateful kids today. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Scott Firestone IV wrote:

Wait, there's really a place called Puerto Rico? Huh.


Wow, I hope you're kidding.

Or very very very young.


Welcome to Board Game Geek!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.