Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be awful if you lost your entire game collection?

I'm wondering what people know about their renter's/homeowner's policies and how it relates to a collection of boardgames. I imagine I've got probably $5k in games or so and wonder if policies typically cover these. (I'll call my insurer to be sure, but thought it was a good conversation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know one thing i have been told is to photograph any and all "collectibles" in your home for proof of ownership. not sure about insurance specifically for a game collection, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also heard that having a detailed list of exactly what was owned makes it easier because you can come up with specific replacement values rather than going "Well, there were the games in the closet, they might have been worth oh, like $100".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homeowner's or renter's insurance is what you need.

If you're getting new insurance, they will often ask you for items of significant value - IE, I have about $3k in photography stuff, so I said that then, and have photographs of it. If you've got a big game collection, if they ask this stuff, put down that you have a game collection of value $xxxx.

Next, photograph it, and keep the photos somewhere safe. Simple enough in this day and age, just find a place online to put them.

If you want to get fancy, IE, if you have a lot of hard to find games that go for significantly more than retail costs typically do, you may want to find references for costs to replace them. You could probably get something like 70% of MSRP for most of your collection, within reason, should it be rendered burned/flooded/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine insuring a game collection would require any special addendums to a run-of-the-mill insurance policy, unless you had a bunch of a things that are effectively impossible to replace. Doing photos and an inventory seems like a straightforward method of documenting what you've got.

If any misfortune substantial enough to take out my games ever occurred, it would probably also destroy dozens upon dozens of our other possessions that are worth vastly more, either in monetary or emotional terms. In short, games would be the least of my concerns in such circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought when you first get the policy you say how much value you want to be insured for and, if necessary, back it up with proof that you have that much worth of stuff. Then you're set for that amount of coverage, which determines your premium (with some other considerations thrown in, I suppose). Then, if the value of your possessions rises some day (like if you buy a whole bunch of games), you get in contact with the insurer and get more coverage for a higher premium. Board games are not specifically included or excluded a priori. It's just a matter of whether you can show they're worth a certain amount and whether you want to pay a higher premium to have them insured. Or am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.