BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Is your PVR eating your life away??? Mine is!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I got my PVR when I moved like 2 months ago, I record everything.

Heroes, House, Fringe, Reaper, Mentalist, Harper's Island, Lie to Me, Csi, Csi NY, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Criminal Minds, Destinée (french gf episode)......i'm sure others.

But fortunately, the PVR allows me to play BG and be more with my family and 3 year old girl.

Only downside is when I have free time, I watch the episodes and my ps3 keeps accumulating dust (had for 2 months, played 3 times)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Television viewing is on an upswing... this data is from 2003:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_tel_vie-media-televisi...

http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html#tv_st...

Given those numbers (28 hours on average for a person in the US) a 65 year old will have spent a total of 8.5 years sitting in front of a television. That's freaky.

So, it is eating people's lives away. Not mine. I gave it up about 20 years ago and went ten years without a TV... I got one for DVDs and have spent too much time watching Red Sox baseball... so this year I decided to cancel satellite and listen to baseball on the radio... it is certainly cheaper, and I can listen in my car, on a portable radio, etc... so I can do other tasks instead of being tied to the TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still do other things even when the TV is on. My wife an I often play board games while having a sports game up on the TV. As a matter of fact, we watched the Red Sox beat the Yankees last night on ESPN (and I got to see a guy steal home!) while playing a nice, mindless game of Fill or Bust.

@OP, I assume you mean DVR? I have a DVR and love it. But, it doesn't make TV any better, just easier to watch. We still only watch about 4-5 hours of TV a week, just now we can watch them after the kids are in bed, and fast-forward through commercials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
You can still do other things even when the TV is on.

Like gardening? Wrenching a motorcycle in the garage?

I need to pay $60/mo to get 200 channels that I will never watch PLUS New England Sports Network... no al la cart menu and NESN is not in any basic package for me...

I tried the MLB.TV via the computer but they blackout based on IP so I cannot see any games that would be broadcast in my area. Using a proxy to spoof the IP made it too slow to function properly as streaming video.

So, radio it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really thought about getting rid of my satellite TV service. I recently was asked by the Nielsen ratings folks to do a week long TV watching survey. Told them to get someone else, since I didn't watch that much. They insisted.

So I filled out the little booklet they sent me in the mail with all the programming I watched for a week.

The whole hour of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
You can still do other things even when the TV is on.

Like gardening? Wrenching a motorcycle in the garage?

I didn't say you could still do anything when it's on...

Quote:
I need to pay $60/mo to get 200 channels that I will never watch.

I agree, it is pretty pricey. I guess it depends on your budget and your own likes. I have a 65" DLP LCD HD TV and so the hour or so a day I watch, I want to look good on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
I agree, it is pretty pricey. I guess it depends on your budget and your own likes.

Exactly my point. I certainly can afford it, just that it is wasteful... not worth the cost. But the main reason is that I hate most of what is on television, the commercials and what it has become (wasting 9 years of someone's life on average). Plus, I have kids. I don't want them to be watching it. So, I don't want to finance it just to get one channel... I'd rather spend that $60 elsewhere. What I really wish was that you could listen / watch without commercials. I mean... if you are already paying for cable / satellite why are you then forced to watch advertising??? I guess that is what the DVR is really for... I have not yet investigated satellite radio. XM has MLB but I not sure if there are commercials?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XM Radio generally doesn't have commercials or, if the channel does, then they're very sparse and short. If I recall correctly, the comedy channel I used to listen to (Laugh Attack - Canadian Comedy) has/had the occasional advert for an adult store with a promo or two every now and then. MUCH better than FM radio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a PVR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
What's a PVR?

Try using google, there's an internet for PVR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pvr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
What's a PVR?

Try using google, there's an internet for PVR.
Better yet, people can just type out what they're talking about. Otherwise, we get stuff like ...

Hey, look at my new BWSSOESFTMBP (Bauble with some sort of electronic screen for tracking my blood pressure). Much better to communicate with words, rather than acronyms.

One thing that really gripes me is when people just post a link or expect you to go away from the conversation to research the topic before answering a question.

It is equivalent to bumping into someone on the street and saying, "Hey, how about that hippopotomus flu?" and then refusing to explain anything about it, forcing your friend to run over to the library, read up on it, and come back to the streetcorner to answer you. How silly is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
It is equivalent to bumping into someone on the street and saying, "Hey, how about that hippopotomus flu?" and then refusing to explain anything about it, forcing your friend to run over to the library, read up on it, and come back to the streetcorner to answer you. How silly is that?

Yes, that is silly... on the street conversation does not work like that. This is the WWW (World Wide Web). Should I type Compact Disk, Digital Video Disk, File Transfer Protocol, Television, Chief Executive Officer and American Civil Liberties Union instead of CD, DVD, FTP, TV, CEO and ACLU in the off chance that someone does not know what those mean? Acronyms gain popular use by being used. PVR / DVR is common enough that the majority of readers certainly would recognize them. Personally, when I see a word, concept or acronym that I do not know I look it up... that is, if I read it online, in an article or in a book... However, using your on the street analogy, I would of course say "Huh?" only because the answer is not at my fingertips at that very moment. When you read something like this in the newspaper do you send a letter to the author or the editor asking for n explanation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PVR is like VCR. I never heard someone calling it by there name. I know its chit chat, but people need to stop being so fussy about stuff.

Oh BTW add 2 more to the list, Big Bang Theory and How I met your Mother

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
When you read something like this in the newspaper do you send a letter to the author or the editor asking for n explanation?
If the article didn't identify what the acronym is (as a well-written newspaper article most certainly would), then I might very well write to them to point out that they printed a useless article that could have been worthwhile with only another line or two added to define mystifying components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
mystifying components.

For your sake or that of everyone? What if it was the sports page and it was an article about baseball using the acronym "MLB"? Not everyone reading that article would know what that acronym stood for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, next time I read a football summary, I'm gonna see if they explain all the jargon terms, like touchdown, quarterback, etc

"Bob threw to Joe for a touchdown (a six-point score where the ball carrier takes the ball into the end zone (the areas at each end of the field that teams are attempting to reach)). As a quarterback (the main offensive player who typically receives the snap (the act of passing the ball from the ground to a player to start a down (an interval of time when the ball is in play))), Bob has scored....

I see your point about acronyms, Randy, but I do think if an acronym or term is used in a specific context and is relatively widely known, explaining the acronym isn't needed.

I don't think I've seen a newspaper article lately that writes "compact disc" or "digital video disc"; they just say CD or DVD, as that's what they are known by to the public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Hmm, next time I read a football summary, I'm gonna see if they explain all the jargon terms, like touchdown, quarterback, etc

"Bob threw to Joe for a touchdown (a six-point score where the ball carrier takes the ball into the end zone (the areas at each end of the field that teams are attempting to reach)). As a quarterback (the main offensive player who typically receives the snap (the act of passing the ball from the ground to a player to start a down (an interval of time when the ball is in play))), Bob has scored....

I see your point about acronyms, Randy, but I do think if an acronym or term is used in a specific context and is relatively widely known, explaining the acronym isn't needed.

I don't think I've seen a newspaper article lately that writes "compact disc" or "digital video disc"; they just say CD or DVD, as that's what they are known by to the public.

ooo..that brings up a question. what exactly is a go-ahead touchdown? i've read it connected to just about every type of offensive touchdown situation I can think of, with no rhyme or reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I don't think I've seen a newspaper article lately that writes "compact disc" or "digital video disc"; they just say CD or DVD, as that's what they are known by to the public. :)
I agree that some terms get to be so common that they take on the essence of being a word in their own right. DVD and CD are in that group. Touchdown, while lingo, is also in that group.

But PVR--I've never seen that one in print anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
But PVR--I've never seen that one in print anywhere.

It is on an internet somewhere...

Give a man a fish... etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Piscine Vapor Recirculators eat EVERYBODY'S lives away. I have lobbied (mostly unsuccessfully, with the exception of Kalamazoo, MI) to have them banned for my entire adult life. I would not be caught dead with one of them in my home, although if I had one in my home, I would likely be caught dead eventually, since they eat lives away so voraciously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OR you could have done the courteous thing and just answered the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.