Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bisignani
United States
Bellbrook
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've read alot about this game and am really excited to get it. Usually, I wait until I can ask for the game from someone else, like birthdays or Christmas, to get something, but this one I'm very close to running out and ordering right now, because it seems really fun. But I do have one question.

With all the different races and powers, it seems that the combinations are nearly endless. Is there ever a problem with rules contradictions or questions about how to play a certain race/power combo? Is it a frequent problem? How do you resolve it?

I've played other games with that mechanic, of randomly matching up one special ability with another, and in every one, I've discovered that there are always a few scenarios in which the rules are not expressly clear about how to handle the situation. And just from looking on this site, there seem to be a great many "How does this particular race/power combo work" posts under the Rules forum. So have you all found it to be a big problem with the game, or can you figure out how to play each scenario pretty easily? Thanks for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be that the certain race/power combo problems appear more commonly in a 2-player game. And even then, those are more "problem-causing" in terms of power than in breaking the rules.

There is also an excellent post here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/391216 that is keeping track of known problems and solutions to questions. I am sure that in the future more of these problems happen, DoW will release an official FAQ for player's reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The interaction of the powers rarely seems to clash from the games I've played so far. They do what they do on that player's turn, and the powers of other players don't really seem to have an effect. The ability of the sorcerers is explained in the rulebook, and though there has been questions about how the sorcerers and elves powers interact with one another that's the only one I've seen that's cropped up in games I've played (we played that the elves went to the box because they were not defeated via conquest).

This is a fantastic game, and I strongly recommend it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the powers were present in Vinci, so problems with them have had a long time to shake out. That the Elves and Sorcerers have a lot of questions in not surprising, as those powers are new with Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I tend to agree that there didn't seem to be too many potential "rule" issues with the powers (sorcerers come to mind but you'll get the hang of it). But, as mentioned previously, there are some combinations that are very powerful. At the same time, there are also combinations that are useless or near useless.

Personally, I don't think the power issue is much of a problem however other than at the very beginning of the game. Here, the first player has some advantage of being able to pick the best race. This is balanced by the fact that this player will have to pay victory points beyond the first race available and the fact that if he spreads himself thin right away, other players get to enter the board after he does (and thus can nibble away at his race rather than going after the freebees if they so choose). Also, the first player likely won't use (or won't really be able to use) his super powers until everyone else gets a turn, since he has much more incentive going after free spaces and no other players on the board to attack.

Once you're already into the game it balances out; turn order and board positioning and timing your can be a key strategical play. Do you go into decline early to try and snag up an ideal race or wait a turn or two to increase the scoring you'll get with your declined race? Also, it might be worth it NOT going for an ideal race as the first race slot is a free-bee and, if not very appetizing to other players, can often collect a decent amount of victory points before being taken. Also keep in mind that to maximize your play, you're really only going to have a race for 2/3 turns max before it's not much use anymore, so even if a player gets a killer combo they only have it for a limited time and often paint a pretty big bull’s-eye on themselves.

The negative? With everyone playing in the same turn order each round it is going to happen that a killer role combo will pop up at an idea time for someone to go into decline. I won't say this will make or break the game however it can often be very hard to beat this player if they pick it up on say round 7 or 8. This is completely a luck factor and - along with dice rolling for regions - will be seen very unpopularly here on the geek.

Don't let that dissuade you though as this game is "light" (easy to learn, with some decent strategy elements) enough and plays fast enough where it will earn many repeats at your table and the comic theme takes a lot of the burden off of the "I absolutely have to win if I'm playing my best" mentality since you don't necessarily care as much if your end comes at the hands of Dragon Master Ratmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.