Popular Tags: [View All]
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a question I have about the game. I am considering getting it but wanted some more info.

It sounds like a really interesting game but from reading a few reviews I still can't work out if the game is a murder mystery i.e. is there a murderer who is defined, or do the players try to somehow make the character they get the murderer in some way?

Are there different murder plots, and can these all have a different murderer each time you play?

Thanks

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there are a several suspects (depending on the number of players) each player gets 1 guilty card and one innocent card. As part of the game they gather the 3 different types of evidence and secretly plant good or bad evidence on the available suspects. evidence is revealed at the end to decide who did it (a big chunk of points if it's your guilty card) and a smaller amount if your suspect is innocent.

there is a few different mysteries, but any suspect can be the guilty party with the above game mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for your quick response. This game sounds very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no defined murder, like in Clue or Mystery of the Abby.

The murderer ends up being the suspect with the highest evidence total placed against them.

Each character is randomly dealt one guilty suspect and one innocent suspect. As players follow up leads and gain evidence, they can place it on the various suspects. Some of these tokens count positively and some negatively. Since they are face down,having the most tokens doesn't not guarantee a guilty verdict. There are mechanics that allow you look at the evidence that has been placed on suspects.

There are 6 different scenarios, iirc. Based on the evidence mechanic, anyone of the suspects could be made to be the murderer for any of the scenarios.

I like this game. My group enjoys playing it. Just remember that it is a long game. The learning session we played lasted about 5.5 hours with 4 people. Subsequent games with 4 people lasted about 4 - 4.5 hours. Games with 3 people lasted about 3.5 - 4 hours.

Also, this is not a co-op game. Things you do will screw with other players. Expect to have your plans ruined by another player.

Don't put all your eggs in a single basket, meaning don't follow a single path to gain victory points. If that path is blocked, then victory is near impossible to achieve.

That being said, this game is not entirely about winning. Simply playing the various characters and working them through their plots or stories is enjoyable. With most characters having three plots, it would take several playthroughs to experience them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've only got through it twice but Craig (Tsugo) summed it up.

We found ourselves really wanting to steer our 'hunch' suspects early on, but had to be deceptive about it due to one of our players in particular (my teen niece) deciding she would make it her life's mission to derail our evidence placement as well as our personal plots as best she could. She certainly picked up on the cutthroat aspects right away, and both plays have been quite enjoyable, if a little long.

It might just be me but we thought there was an indirect 'Blade Runner' flavor to the play and some of the content, especially the personal conflicts of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I like the sound of the Dark and Light card aspect, from what I can tell you have to play Dark cards on other players just to play light ones on yourself which sounds good. The game length does not put me off, we managed to make a game of battlestar galactica last 5.5 hours once! Arkham Horror took us about 1.5 hours to set up the board and learn the rules first time round.

The personal stories of each character also seems great, I think this game is going up my wish list all the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.