Field Commander: Alexander» Forums » Rules

Subject: Prophecies timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S P
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rule says the number on the Prophecy counters indicates how many turns we have to complete them. And most of them details say something must be done "during the next X turns".

So, for example, if I accept a prophecy saying I must build a new City during the next 2 turns, then end my conquest step, gain gold and build a City, I assume it's not OK because striclty following the prophecy, the City has to be built AFTER this turn, during the next 2 ones.
Is that right?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it that you have that many turns maximum to complete the prophecy. It would, to me, make sense since the rules say (under failing a prophecy) "If the prophecy's condition is not met before the turn counter is moved past the the prophecy counter..." which to me says you have until that time to complete it and anytime before the turn counter would move past it is AOK.
V/R,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
In Granicus, I won at Chaeronea and chose to Govern. Then in Macedonia, my prophecy was the "Let go of me..." and since I had already governed a pivotal area, I immediately upgraded Alexander 1 level. What fortune!
I hope this was right!

(BTW- I got slaughtered at Granicus Battle #1 - just came back for a return visit and have a new post with a question!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenbro wrote:
In Granicus, I won at Chaeronea and chose to Govern. Then in Macedonia, my prophecy was the "Let go of me..." and since I had already governed a pivotal area, I immediately upgraded Alexander 1 level. What fortune!
I hope this was right!

Hmm, that is not how I would have played it...

The prophecy says: "Let go of me, you’re unbeatable" - During the next 4
turns, Conquer a Pivotal Area and Govern it.

Since it says "next 4 turns", I would not include the current turn. Instead I would count four turns after the current turn. So any areas governed previously during the current turn, I would have ignored for the purpose of this prophecy.

But I'm not sure... just doing some guessing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 5 Completing a prophesy
If you meet the Prophecy's condition before the Turn Counter is moved past the Prophecy counter...

So I think it's ok to meet the conditions in the current turn. It's also very logical.

The only think I am not sure is about the "past" conditions. Do they count or not?
I think not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mats is right...the Prophecy must be completed in the next turn. This keeps you from gaining favor for this past accomplishments. In my case, Chaeronea was governed in a previous turn, so I definitely played that incorrectly.

But the question about whether the CURRENT turn counts is still valid? My guess is probably not then either - one really needs to wait until the next turn at a minimum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a job for DV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
In the case of "Let go of me" you must conquer a new Area. Here's two examples that show the difference between having to do something after drawing the prophecy, and counting what you've done before drawing the prophecy...

“Care for these things falls on me - At any time during the next 4 turns, you must have 2 or more Conquered Pivotal Areas on the map.

“Let go of me, you’re unbeatable - During the next 4 turns, Conquer a Pivotal Area and Govern it.

Note how "Care" says what you must have at the end of 4 turns. In the case of "Let go" it says that during the next 4 turns you must do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about my prophecy then?

First turn, defeated the forces in Chaeronea, governed the area, then moved on to Macedon to receive the prophecy of "with silver spears": I have to have 15 gold at any time during the next 3 turns.
I assume it doesn't click in my resupply phase, now that I gained gold and my treasure contains 16 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickly speaking...I think you have to wait for next turn to start in order to claim your prophecy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.