Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me state that I love Bohnanza. We play it in groups of three, four, five several times a week. It is definitely the family favorite! But I do not own the game.
We have always played when our son visits with his fiancee - they bring their copy of the game.
We decided to buy our own and thought the 'Fan Edition' would be fun. I ran to CoolStuff games (the best place on earth to buy games, by the way) and found their last copy. The (small) box states that it is exactly the same game but with fan-contributed art.
Well it is not exactly the same game. Each card has a different image; fan contributed. And that is the only positive thing about the game.
The differences are significant:
- There are no coffee beans
- There are no cocoa beans
- There are only icons to identify the beans (no words)*
- There is no two-player version
- The quantities are not printed on the cards

*This does not present a problem for an experienced player but makes it extremely difficult to teach the game to new players.

I was so disappointed that I wrote directly to Rio Grande games. It was wonderful that Jay replied to my message but could offer no remedy. The game is manufactured by Amigo and Rio Grande is only a distributor (which I understand).
So, now you know. If you want to see different pictures (btw: many of those are very juvenile - a lesser disappointment) then buy the Fan Edition. Otherwise, be sure to buy a copy of [the real] Bohnanza. It is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for succintly explaining these substantial problems with the fan edition. You have prevented me from making the same mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
ParkinT wrote:

The differences are significant:
- There are no coffee beans
- There are no cocoa beans
- There is no two-player version

These differences only exist when compared to the Rio Grande version. The original version of the game does not have the cards for coffee or cocoa and has no two-player rules. Those were added when Rio Grande reprinted the game in the US. So the version you are familiar with is the English version. The fan version actually is identical to the original game.

As for the lack of names and numbers, I was under the impression that this was clearly marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ALMOST boaught that version too
glad I didnt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a duplicate of the original edition, which did support a lower number of players and I went into it understanding that.

My major issue was more to the point that though it was all fan art, and much of it seemingly done by children, there were many depictions based on seemingly inside jokes or references that I just didn't get. It made the artwork a detraction and a distraction.

It was a TOTAL letdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first heard of this edition, I was somewhat interested, but already had the Rio Grande edition. I'd heard before about the difficulty identifying the cards, and I'm glad I didn't pick this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that the fan edition was really a collector's item. Don't get it instead of Bohnanza; get it in addition to Bohnanza. If don't collect games for collection's sake, then don't get it at all. I didn't, but I did give it as a gift to a friend who owns Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of the game states it quite clear that it's a "Fan Edition" and not a "Edition specifically made for fans".
And for those who bought it and don't like it ..... you can still use
the cards to make your own prototypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I gave this game to a friend a few years ago and had been wanting another copy. Well, my wife thought she'd be thoughtful by getting me a new copy (she'd never played the game before) and she got me the Fan edition.

At first I was excited. I thought, "Hey, this'll be like playing a whole new game!" I opened the box and nearly vomited all over the cards. Maybe ten of the card illustrations are cool and equate to the original. The rest were drawn by kids. Not very attractive and very hard to discern which card was which (if you didn't look at the tiny icon in the corner). "Is this a stink bean or a green bean?" How much are blue beans worth?" Yeah. Needless to say, I was VERY unhappy. I felt bad for the wife too because she had been so thoughtful about the purchase but then got duped by the Fan Edition advertising.

Buyer beware: the Fan Edition is NOT for fans of the game (at least, not for people that like playing the base game)...it's for collectors who want all the different Bohn expansions and versions of Bohnanza.

Long story short, I gave the deck away to some kid (who probably won't be able to play it since he doesn't know the value of the beans...because they aren't printed on the cards!). It's been about a two years since then and I've finally gotten around to buying myself the original version of Bohnanza. Ahhh. It feels good to see an old friend (and not some drag queen masquerading as an old friend).

Viva The Bean Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who like Bohnanza, I just discovered Oltre Mare.
The theme is very different (but I really like it) and the mechanics are NOT a copy of Bohnanza. But the principle of planning the order in which cards are played is there.
And this game is quite well designed and carefully tested. It even works well with only two players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.