Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to confess I am anticipating this movie big time.

I hope the first five minutes though is a horrible painful death scene involving Stuart Baird as an apology to all Star Trek fans for that turd called Nemesis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to be at the Imax opening weekend to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I haven't seen anything positive.

All the reviews seem to focus on the fact that the scene of Walter Koenig dry humping a nacelle goes on a bit too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron
goo The entire movie is a conspiracy to write Wesley Crusher out of the time line and screw poor Wil Wheaton out of his royalty checks. angry
sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

All the reviews seem to focus on the fact that the scene of Walter Koenig dry humping a nacelle goes on a bit too long.

That provided a mental image that I did NOT need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Let me add to it then. During that scene, he keeps shouting nuclear wessel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Hobbespm wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

That was already pictured. As well as Scotty revving the engines yelling "I'm giving it all she's got Pavel!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too much CGI. I want movies not thrill rides. I can go to Universal for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

You sure it wasn't Sulu? Maybe Sulu and Chekov dry hump each other!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Hobbespm wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Klingon Sheep of the starboard bow!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hesitant... don't forget, all these prelim reviews are most likely from die hard trekkers... err trekkies.. err... nerds...

Wait until average joe see's it. Then I'll listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
I'm hesitant... don't forget, all these prelim reviews are most likely from die hard trekkers... err trekkies.. err... nerds... BGG users

Wait until average joe see's it. Then I'll listen.

fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No average joe types will see it - just different degree of trekkies...

But, in all seriousness, I'll probably go see it, but wait for a week or two. I want to go, but not be in line for tickets with anyone who felt it necessary to dress up as their favorite character...

Oh, on the plus side, I heard it was to be released on my birthday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Way too much CGI. I want movies not thrill rides. I can go to Universal for that.

It's not like you can shoot the space scenes on Paramount's dark side of the moon studio or something... CGI is ok by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
that turd called Nemesis.

I thought Nemisis was just fine. It felt more like a ST:TNG extended episode than the few movies before that in my mind. I will say that I saw it a year or so after it came out on DVD, so it's not like I was there at the theater for the premier with my huge tub of popcorn and my pointy rubber ears on ready to take part in the next Trek of Awesomeness or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone's calling it Star Trek 11. Just "Star Trek."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The preview made me suspicious. The awful slow-mo of Kirk leaping out of the car and just barely grabbing onto the edge of the cliff was stupid. If we get a lot more of that, along with copious doses of other silly CGI, then I doubt I'll like it.

There are plenty of things to look forward to. The casting seems solid and I think JJ Abrams is a pretty good storyteller, it just depends on how much of the production overwhelms the human elements.

Is Nemesis the one with that horrible opening sequence with the dune buggies? It seemed as if every element of Star Trek technology was ignored in that scene so that they could have a really generic action sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get back from cinema.
I had to say I am no Star Trek fan. I saw few episodes which went past me.

I had no expectations but I liked movie a lot. I even consider giving series a shot.

Neil,
I do not think production overhelmed human elements. Actors had some space to draw characters but on other side it is not so slow and boring like let say Watchmen.I think they find sweet spot. On one side it is briliant and epic action (it is rather odd to say epic about something were only two ships are but I can not help myself, I feel so), on other side there is room for relationship between Spock, Kirk and for few other characters as well.

So far best movie of 09 at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamixx wrote:
Just get back from cinema.
I had to say I am no Star Trek fan. I saw few episodes which went past me.

I had no expectations but I liked movie a lot. I even consider giving series a shot.

Neil,
I do not think production overhelmed human elements. Actors had some space to draw characters but on other side it is not so slow and boring like let say Watchmen.I think they find sweet spot. On one side it is briliant and epic action (it is rather odd to say epic about something were only two ships are but I can not help myself, I feel so), on other side there is room for relationship between Spock, Kirk and for few other characters as well.

So far best movie of 09 at least for me.

Thanks for the review. I was worried that from the previews it looks as if the film has a huge infusion of CGI-steroids. yuk

I want to see some good action, but I don't want the entire film to be filled with hyperextremewarpspeedshakycamera effects that leave me bewildered with a 'wtf just happened' expression! haha

I'm sure I will check out the film in May.

I grok spock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the Malaysian Premier of Star Trek last night. Lots of action typical of JJ Abrams. The plot is nothing much to talk about and is a bit dated. The humour is good but there is too much of it and it felt campy at times. I did a quick review on my Squark Blog here:

http://www.squarkgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My childhood, raped!

Ok, so maybe not. The movie looks like it will jumpstart the old beast and even if it's not the start of the fourth season of TOS, it sounds like it will be a good flick.

TOS trek was really a Hornblower/Gunsmoke in space show anyway, so the idea of less pontificating and more zapping and blowing up of things works for me. Sounds like they did a good job of trying to get the chemistry between the characters to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
No average joe types will see it - just different degree of trekkies...

But, in all seriousness, I'll probably go see it, but wait for a week or two. I want to go, but not be in line for tickets with anyone who felt it necessary to dress up as their favorite character...

Oh, on the plus side, I heard it was to be released on my birthday!

I wouldn't mind seeing it, and I am DEFFINATELY not a trekkie. The mere thought of being lumped into that group is more then depressing. Yes I have watched ST:TNG, and some of the other shows, but if you call me a Trekkie, then I am also an X-files fanatic, an Alias Fanatic, and any other show on TV that I've watched.

I haven't seen all the star trek movies, nor all the episodes of any one of the tv shows (except TNG).

But this movie looks interesting, and I'll probably rent it if I can't see it.

So if there is a 0 degree trekkie. ie. Non-trekkie.. I'll be ok with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
echoota wrote:
Is Nemesis the one with that horrible opening sequence with the dune buggies? It seemed as if every element of Star Trek technology was ignored in that scene so that they could have a really generic action sequence.

Nemesis was the one that:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Killed off Data and replaced him with a retarded duplicate.

I still can't quite figure out how all that fit in with the rest of the plot.

It fit in because Brent Spiner has been trying to Kill of Data since the final episode of TNG... Never did see that movie, heared it sucked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Schneider
Germany
Brühl
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As will the new one.
That Abrams guy is such a retarded bastard relying on eyecandy.
The trailer made me want to puke, all that dogfighting and stuff, that's not Trek anymore, it's a bad Star Wars ripoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.